| ||For an overview of assault rifle models in various games, see assault rifle.|
This rifle has been more widely used by armed forces than any other rifle in history. It's a reliable assault weapon for any terrain or tactical situation.”
The FN FAL, short for Fusil Automatique Léger (light automatic rifle), is a selective-fire battle rifle produced by the Belgian arms manufacturer Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FN). This rifle has been more widely used by armed forces than any other rifle in history.
The FN FAL is an all-around, selective-fire rifle. In comparison to the older AK-112, it sacrifices some range (though still maintaining a reasonable 35 hexes of it) for an edge in damage, especially against medium-armored enemies. Its main weakness is arguably the low magazine capacity which allows only 2 bursts per reload. Though many vendors carry the 7.62mm round, the amounts sold are often small, so scarcity of ammunition can be a problem.
- The survival gear locker store in Gecko stocks this weapon, as well as ammo. The merchant in NCR Downtown also stocks large amounts of ammo, as well as the FN FAL HPFA.
- Most of the Hubologists in combat armor carry either one of these, or a combat shotgun.
- A single Enclave soldier in combat armor at Navarro carries one.
- Male raiders in the mercenaries' cave all carry these. The raider commanders carry AK-112's.
- Eldridge sells it in New Reno Arms
- Can be bought from the main Ammenities general store in Vault City.
Certain NPCs can add a thermal scope to the weapon, The thermal image eliminates the accuracy penalties incurred due to darkness.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The FN FAL is a battle rifle designed by Belgian company Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FN prefix) after World War II.
- The rifle is based on a gas-operated mechanism. Selective fire modes were available when it was initially designed around intermediate power cartridges such as the German 7.92x33mm Kurz and the British .280 (7x43mm). Once NATO standardized on the more powerful 7.62x51mm round the FAL was successfully adapted to chamber it, but the selective fire capability was usually removed as the recoil proved uncontrollable when set to fully automatic.