| ||For the Honest Hearts perk, see Eye for Eye.|
- Find general intel on Legion troop movements
- Find intel on Legion raids.
- Plant NCR bug.
- Clear out the Legion from Cottonwood Cove.
- Talk to Astor about Cottonwood Cove.
- Agree to help him plant the bug and find legion intel.
- Turn bug over to Aurelius of Phoenix.
- Give old intel to Astor.
After discovering Cottonwood Cove, First Sergeant Astor (who patrols around Camp Searchlight) asks the player to collect some intel on Legion troop movements and raids from Cottonwood Cove and plant a bug in their radio. The Legion raid intel is in a filing cabinet to the left of buggable radio (left while looking at the radio) on the first floor HQ building (this will give you negative karma); the intel on Legion troop movements is in the desk on the second floor.
Returning to Astor with the intel provides 500 XP & the player gets the option to wipe out all Legion forces from Cottonwood Cove. This provides NCR fame, 250 caps, Legion infamy (If they spot you in the act) & 1000 XP. When you receive the option to wipe out the Legion fort, Astor calls you crazy but believes you can pull it off. To get the most fame with the NCR, locate the red truck hanging precariously off the cliff at Cottonwood Overlook over the Legion camp. Your geiger meter will show radiation leaking from the truck when you get close. Go to the back of the truck, and select the door. The option to open the door becomes available (50 lockpick required), dropping several radioactive barrels into the camp, effectively killing the Legion the same way they killed the NCR forces at Camp Searchlight. Astor is quite pleased with this outcome.
- If you've already razed the camp, you will automatically complete the quest by speaking with Astor.
- If you tip the radioactive barrels into the cove before freeing the slaves, you'll lose the quest "Left My Heart". The Weathers can be found in a locked pen behind the storage building. They are wearing slave collars that need to either be safely removed, maliciously detonated or provided the key in which case they'll unlock themselves and escape. Conversely, Anders, who needs to be freed as part of Aba Daba Honeymoon, is far enough away not to be harmed by the radiation.
- If you kill everyone normally (making them easier to loot) and then release the barrels you will still get the extra fame.
- If you decide to drop the barrels on the Legion forces at Cottonwood Cove, you will still be able to use the ferry to reach Caesar's camp. The Legion non-player character ferryman, Cursor Lucullus, will now be wearing a radiation suit and will still grant you access to The Fort.
- If you had already cleared out Cottonwood Cove before talking to Astor, you can simply break the news in a conversation with him. You will receive NCR fame, 200 caps, 1000 XP, and Astor will also call you a 'beast'. If the courier is a woman, he will comment on how a lone woman wiping out the entire camp is 'priceless' and that it will make Caesar's troops reconsider how they treat women. You cannot turn in the Legion information, however.
- Alternatively, you may also accept bad intel from Aurelius of Phoenix in conversation & disseminate it to Astor for Legion fame and 500 XP.
- If you stay after dropping the barrels, you can observe most of the non-unique Legion troops running up to the barrels and dying. The named ones will simply die on the spot.
- The truck door isn't always locked, making the quest that much easier.
- You will incur no reputation loss for dropping the barrels on Cottonwood.
- If you give the old intel to Astor, the quest will not be marked as complete until you kill all the legionaries at Cottonwood Cove.
- Completing the quest with Craig Boone as a follower will earn you history points towards triggering Boone's companion quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget.
- The talk option to start the quest, "I found a Legion camp at Cottonwood Cove" will only be available once you discover Cottonwood Cove.
Behind the scenes
"Eye for an Eye" is a well known phrase dating from the times of Hammurabi. Known as Hammurabi's Code, the laws dictated an "eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", meaning that any law broken, or anyone harmed, the offendee would receive the same as punishment.
- xbox360 pc Sometimes dropping the radioactive barrels will not kill all the legionaries. They will remain standing in front of the barrels without ever succumbing to the radiation. Four legionaries line up at the base of the cliff while the barrels roll right through them. However, the objective is still marked as complete in spite of the fact that the survivors can still be killed, V.A.T.S., and otherwise interacted with.