No. It's not. ARCHIMEDES II is an orbital laser. Effective only outdoors in a limited radius and requiring a long recharge.”— Veronica
"The raw power of the sun, contained in an easy-to-carry package! Just point the handheld rangefinder at the bad guys, and pull the trigger!"
The Archimedes II orbital laser releases a huge amount of heat energy, capable of reducing many foes to ashes.
In order to use Euclid's C-Finder, the player character must complete the quest That Lucky Old Sun and choose to direct power to Archimedes II at the end of the quest. The weapon can only be used once every 24-hours in-game, due to the recharge time of the lasers. If the player has already completed that quest without directing the power to Archimedes II, the C-Finder cannot be activated.
Euclid's C-Finder is not a weapon in its own right, but rather a targeting device or "range finder" for the Archimedes II orbital laser platform. As such, Euclid's C-Finder inflicts 0 damage on a direct hit to a target, with all the damage coming from the blast caused by the Archimedes II orbital laser strike. This also makes Euclid's C-Finder inoperable as a weapon when fired indoors.
Firing Euclid's C-Finder will result in a 5 second delay and an animated sequence on Euclid's C-Finder's display, before the impact of the orbital laser strikes the ground. During the delay Euclid's C-Finder can be repositioned for a new target before the laser strikes. Euclid's C-Finder is not influenced by player's Energy Weapons skill.
Euclid's C-Finder can fire a total of about 3995 times from full condition before breaking. This would take approximately 11 game years were you to fire it once every day.
In Freeside, outside of Mick & Ralph's, the player character can find Max during the day. Max thinks the weapon is actually just a toy, as it is reminiscent of the popular 1950s-60s toy laser guns for children. The player character can pay Max 1000 bottle caps, or 20 bottle caps with a Barter skill of 45 or more, for his "toy gun". Otherwise, the player character can wait until Max goes to bed, usually after 9pm, then pickpocket the weapon from him, followed by a loss of Karma. The game has been known to say "talk" rather than "pickpocket" Max when doing this. If you press the interact button it will take you into the pickpocketing menu where you can steal the gun. This will result in no loss of Karma.
- Euclid's C-Finder cannot be used in V.A.T.S.
- If you have Veronica as a companion, she will respond "Yeah, I guess it works." when it is first fired.
- Though a heavy weapon of 15 lbs, Max, the child who owns it, has no problem holding it in one hand.
- If you fire the weapon during its recharge time, the positioning lasers will be seen but the weapon will not fire, however the weapon will fire immediately after the recharge time is over.
- The weapon will not always fire if the recharge time of 24 hours is waited using the wait-function instead of passing it in the game without the wait-function.
- Euclid's C-Finder's reloading animation is exactly the same as the alien blaster's (when multiple charges are possessed), save for the C-Finder having an orange power cell, as opposed to the alien blaster's blue.
- Euclid's C-Finder does not work indoors.
- The sun ray causes a knock down effect in a large AoE where it is blasted so be careful with friendly fire, as your companions can be easily crippled by it.
- Sometimes, around every two days you may obtain another C-finder from Max if the player chooses to use the Speech check. This can be repeated up to four times.
- Even though Euclid's C-Finder is considered a Unique Weapon, there isn't a "normal" variant of it.
- If you pickpocket the weapon from Max instead of buying it, he will later reappear chasing Stacey. He will not have the weapon equipped, but if you talk to him he will pull it out. You can then wait until it gets dark and pickpocket another from him. This can be done infinitely.
- Max will appear with the gun again so and it can be purchased from him an unlimited number of times.
- If you Pickpocket it off Max and immediately talk to him, he says "I wish I had a gun" and goes back to sleep.
- If Veronica is with you when you buy the weapon from Max, she will say, "Wow, good thing the safety was on".
- After firing it for the first time, Mr. New Vegas will have a news article about the event on Radio New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Euclid was a famous Greek mathematician, known as the originator of many basic geometric and mathematical principles. Euclidean geometry and Euclid's algorithm for calculating the greatest common factor of two integers are both named for him.
- The name Euclid's C-Finder, and the graphics it shows the player while it is operating, are a reference to using Euclidean geometry to find the third point, C, of a triangle, given points A and B, and distances BC and AC. In this example B is the player's position on the ground, A is the position of the Archimedes II satellite, and C is the position of the target. The satellite gets distance BC from Euclid's C-Finder (which is described as a "handheld rangefinder", in the terminal notes at HELIOS One), and knows AC, one assumes, from radar height measurement. In practice, the satellite would also need to be able to determine the direction Euclid's C-Finder is pointing. Presumably, Euclid's C-Finder can only measure basic compass heading and range, leaving the satellite to calculate the target's elevation, unless it had an internal gyroscope and GPS, which would allow the elevation of the target to be calculated.
- ps3 After Exiting The Thorn or fast traveling with Euclid's C-Finder in your inventory, it may fire a beam with no warning, hitting The Courier, his/her companions and any other non-player characters in range. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 It is possible Euclid's C-Finder may re-spawn multiple times on Max. If you do not have the gun in your inventory and return to Freeside some time after acquiring it, Max will have another Euclid's C-Finder. This will also result in additional ARCHII charges added each day for each Euclid's C-Finder in the player characters inventory. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 If the player character has the Heave Ho! perk, firing Euclid's C-Finder may freeze the game. To fix this a player user can remove the perk using console commands, this will allow the player to fire the weapon without crashing. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 When trying to fire, the targeting laser may repeatedly play its animation without the laser firing. To fix, save the game with the gun drawn and firing and then quit the game completely back to the desktop/reset console. Restart, reload, and wait for the firing animation to complete. Ensuring to save far enough away from the target to not be hit, but close enough that the animation is still visible and playing. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes the gun will not get any ammunition after activating Archimedes II, or it will fire a few times and then not get any more ammunition. To fix, save the game and then quit to the desktop/reset console. Reload the saved game and then after some time the charges will spawn as normal. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes Euclid's C-Finder will not fire at all, only the lasers will be seen. However, the gun will also go off at a random time after this; this can cause the beam to strike down on top of the player, killing/crippling the player and nearby companions. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 The game seems to register kills with Euclid's C-Finder as "unarmed" kills as evidenced by getting the Beautiful Beatdown perk while using it. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Obtaining Euclid's C-Finder before completing or at least initiating the quest I Could Make You Care, could bug the quest. See the quest page for details. [verified]
- xbox360 If aimed at a lake or body of water, there will be a bright flash of light, but no laser. [verified]
- ps3 Euclid's C-Finder may disappear from the player characters inventory after being caught stealing from the Silver Rush in Freeside, even after killing them. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 If you obtain a second Euclid's C-Finder, DO NOT repair them. This may cause the bug in which it does not fire, and will show the laser marks only repeatedly even with another weapon out and may not fire. [verified] It is possible to fix this issue by removing the affected C-Finder from your inventory then buying or stealing a new one. [verification needed]
- pc ps3 Sometimes if you pickpocket the C-Finder, it will be in barely maintained condition instead of perfect [verified]
- xbox360 pc ps3 The weapon may also fire immediately after loading a save chronologically after the laser was targeted so aim away from everything able to be killed. [verified]
- xbox360 pc ps3 Sometimes, if you fire the gun, it never fires and the three lasers follow the player around even if you switch weapons. [verification needed]
| || |