| ||For an overview of small energy cell ammunition types in the Fallout series of games, see energy cell.|
Energy cells are small, self-contained energy storage units often associated with one-handed energy weapons and act essentially as a very powerful battery or capacitor. They are the standard ammunition used by the majority of pistol-sized energy weapons, and as such are widely available across the Mojave Wasteland.
Weapons using this ammunitionEdit
- Compliance Regulator Honest Hearts
- Laser pistol
- Plasma Defender
- Plasma Defender (GRA) Gun Runners' Arsenal
- Plasma pistol
- Plasma pistol (GRA) Gun Runners' Arsenal
- Pulse gun
- Sonic emitter Old World Blues (add-on)
Energy Cell (1)
Energy Cell (1)
Energy cell (1)
Microfusion cell (2)
Energy cell (3)
Fission battery (1)
Energy cell (25)
The player can also pool charges from good cells together to make more powerful variants, which improve damage and bypass more enemy DT, but burn out the weapons' components faster.
Energy cell (3)
Energy cell over charge (2)
Energy cell (5)
Energy cell max charge (2)
Energy cell (3)
Energy cell optimized (GRA) (2)
- ¹ Due to Vigilant Recycler having Science 70 as a pre-requisite, none of the Optimized recipes can be made at the skill listed in the workbench.
Energy cell, bulkEdit
Bulk energy cells are cheaper than the regular variant, but not as potent. Weapons degrade more slowly using this ammunition, however, damage is reduced and there is no armor-piercing effect. The chance of recovering the drained cell is reduced to 20% (1 in 5).
Energy cell, over chargeEdit
This ammunition is more powerful than standard energy cells. It increases the damage output of weapons by 1.25 and has a -5 DT effect on enemies, but degrades weapons 1.5 times faster than normal and only leaves a 25% (1 in 4) chance to recover the drained cell.
Energy cell, max chargeEdit
This is the most powerful of the energy cell variants. Max charge cells increase damage output to 1.5 times normal and have an armor piercing effect of -10 DT, but cause weapons to degrade 2.5 times faster and only recovers drained cells 10% of the time (1 in 10).
Energy cell, optimizedEdit
Added with the add-on Gun Runners' Arsenal, this sub-type causes 30% more damage, penetrates armor more effectively, and weighs less than the standard energy cell in Hardcore mode. The only drawback is a slight increase in weapon degradation. It requires Vigilant Recycler and can only be crafted at a workbench. This type of cell is superior in all properties compared to overcharged cells. It is also the only optimized ammo that is actually superior to the standard cell in terms of recovering the drained cell (40% vs. 35%).
|Ammunition type||- Ammunition type||Spread modifier||- Weapon Spread modifier|
|Damage modifier||- Weapon Damage modifier||Bonus effect||- Ammo bonus effects|
|Damage Threshold modifier||- Target Damage Threshold modifier||Craftable||- Ammo is craftable|
|Condition penalty||- Weapon Condition modifier||Percentage chance of empty casing||- Percentage chance of empty casing, hull or drained cell/pack/tank|
|Ammunition type||Damage modifier||Damage Threshold modifier||Condition penalty||Spread modifier||Bonus effect||Craftable||Percentage chance of empty casing|
|Energy cell, standard||x 1||- 2||x 1||x 1||yes||35% chance|
|Energy cell, bulk||x 0.85||x 1||x 0.85||x 1||no||20% chance|
|Energy cell, over charge||x 1.25||- 5||x 1.5||x 1||yes||25% chance|
|Energy cell, optimized fnvgra||x 1.3||- 5||x 1.1||x 1||60% of standard weight||yes||40% chance|
|Energy cell, max charge||x 1.5||- 10||x 2.5||x 1||yes||10% chance|
- Hidden Valley bunker - If you gain accepted status or higher with the Brotherhood of Steel, you will be approached by a BoS initiate telling you they have placed recycled ammunition in a box at the bottom of the entrance stairs to the L1 area. The box will be replenished randomly with energy cells, microfusion cells and electron charge packs whenever you enter L1, giving a continuous supply of energy weapons ammunition.
- When killed, Mister Gutsies and protectrons will have small amounts on them.
- Extremely large numbers can be found in one of the boxes that appears during Caesar's Favor and Caesar's Hire (sometimes over 1800 can be found). The box that the cells appear in only appears once you reach Idolized reputation with Caesar's Legion.
- Old World Blues (add-on) - Muggy can provide 50 a day once given the "Parts Production" upgrade.
- Old World Blues (add-on) - Once you have upgraded the sonic emitter, you can go to Doctor 8 and he will give you 100 regular, overcharged and max charged energy cells.
- Old World Blues (add-on) - 200 cells are in the underwater section of the Magnetohydraulics Complex.
- Lonesome Road (add-on) - Both ED-Es, with the right upgrade, can provide a small amount of energy cells a day, along with microfusion cells and flamer fuel.
Despite their name, energy cells are abbreviated as "SEC" (small energy cell) at workbenches. Additionally, the drained cell sometimes left behind and the bulk ammunition box also adopts this trait, being called small "drained energy cell" and "Ammo box, small energy cell, bulk" respectively.
Displacer gloves and Zap gloves have a visible energy cell inserted into the back of the gauntlet and presumably are the weapons' power sources, though no energy cells are required or consumed when using the weapons.