“Your character is carrying more than your carry weight. This will slow you down, and may cause you injury.”— Fallout Tactics in-game description
- Character cannot run (moves slowly)
- Character is noisy (Sneak affected)
- In Fallout Tactics, the character may cripple a leg
- In Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 the character cannot fast travel and moves slowly.
- When playing on Survival mode in Fallout 4 the character will also suffer -2 points to Endurance and Agility, as well as take periodic damage.
This condition is removed when the weight of the inventory drops to or below the carry weight limit.
- The Fallout: New Vegas perk Long Haul, allows fast travelling even when the Courier is over-encumbered.
- The Fallout 4 perk Strong Back allows the Sole Survivor to carry more weight, and if upgraded, they are able to retain the ability to run (but not sprint) in exchange for Action Points and fast travel when over-encumbered. In Survival mode, instead of allowing fast travel, Strong Back rank 4 eliminates the periodic damage effect of being over-encumbered.