Your character is carrying more than your carry weight. This will slow you down, and may cause you injury.”— Fallout Tactics in-game description
- Character cannot run (moves slowly)
- Character is noisy (Sneak affected)
- In Fallout Tactics, the character may cripple a leg
- In Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 the character cannot fast travel and moves slowly.
- When playing on survival mode in Fallout 4 the character will take periodic damage.
This condition is removed when the weight of the inventory drops to or below the carry weight limit.
The Fallout: New Vegas perk Long Haul, allows fast travelling even when the Courier is over-encumbered.
The Fallout 4 perk Strong Back, allows the Sole Survivor to carry more weight, and if upgraded, they are able to move faster (whilst using Action Points, but at a faster rate) and fast travel.