|Companion Quest: Emergent Behaviour|
|Gain Curie's approval.|
|Find someone to help Curie.|
|Bring Curie to Doctor Amari.|
|Wait 24 hours for the procedure to be done.|
|Talk to the caretaker.|
|Watch Download Procedures.|
|Talk to Curie.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
Improved reputation with Curie
After gaining 250 affinity points with Curie, she asks the player character if they have a moment to speak. She claims that her robotic nature and lack of "Human Inspiration" prevents her from progressing any further in her research, and asks the player character to help her become more human.
After dialog with Doctor Amari it seems that this kind of transfer could work if using a synth body. Doctor Amari tells the player character that she has performed risky memory-wiping procedures on willing synths desperate to escape the Institute, and that some of those whose procedures have failed are now in a persistent vegetative state as a result and Curie can use one of these synths.
After waiting a day for the caretaker of said synth to bring her to the Memory Den, the player character can then initiate the process in the basement of the Memory Den, and Curie becomes a Generation 3 synth, experiencing human feelings.
- Suggesting Dr. Amari to Curie or talking to Dr. Amari about Curie's new body may only be possible after finishing the quest "Dangerous Minds".
- When she enters her new body any items in her inventory are not transferred to her, so make sure you pick them up off the body on the floor. Her old body has 865d1 as the reference id.
- Glory from the Railroad will remark that G5-19 was like family to her, and that she should have refused to allow her body to be donated to Curie. She can be persuaded that Curie's scientific skills would be a big help, though she does not seem particularly convinced.
- If Glory is dead or you haven't met the Railroad yet, an NPC named Caretaker will take her place. Unlike Glory, the Caretaker will already be convinced and no persuasion will be required. For this reason, it is recommended to do this part of the quest either before Road to Freedom, or after either Tactical Thinking or End of the Line.
- If done before joining the Railroad and you join later, Glory will give the above remark as if she was there even though she wasn't.
- Even though the transferring procedure has not yet begun, the G5-19 body inside the memory lounge is already marked as Curie in V.A.T.S..
- If she has been modified at the Robot workbench, her body will revert to its default state during the transfer.
- If Curie is highlighted through Overseer's Most Wanted, the quest marker will update automatically to Curie's new body upon returning to the Memory Den to begin the procedure, even while her old robot body is still active.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- The title is possibly a reference to the philosophical stance of Emergentism, which is the belief that consciousness can be an unexpected 'side-effect' of, or that it 'emerges from', complex interactions in a system, like a brain or a similar computational system. In any case, Curie behaves like a conscious entity, which makes her qualified for consciousness under the philosophical doctrine of Behaviourism. The title 'Emergent Behavior' catches both these aspects.
- ps4 xboxone If Doctor Amari is killed in any way, the objective may stay on "Bring Curie to Doctor Amari" and not fail, making it impossible to complete the quest. This effectively eliminates the chances to get not only synth Curie, but her companion affinity perk as well.[verified]
- pc Sometimes upon successfully transferring her to her new body she will have a glitched smoking animation while idle with no weapon equipped. No work-around has been identified yet.[verified]
- This may be fixed by reloading an old save and traveling to the Railroad. Glory will then be the caretaker of Curie's synth, and Curie will not be smoking.
- pc If the Miss Nanny version of Curie has been flagged as protected somehow, the script will fail to kill the Miss Nanny. If you speak to it, it will speak lines from the stage of the quest where Curie waits with Doctor Amari.[verified]
- pc ps4 Sometimes, when the scene begins for Curie to be transferred to her new body, the old Curie (Miss Nanny) is not present, but the voice is heard. After completing the transferal, the old Curie body can be found upstairs in the main room of the Memory Den.[verified]
- pc ps4 Upon completion of the quest one can get two instances of experience being awarded.[verified]