The elite riot gear is a unique armor and the most advanced model of L.A.P.D. riot armor, superior to the pre-War 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment riot armor. Originally an 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment riot armor that was modified over time, it was the personal armor of an NCR riot control officer in the Divide, supervising the NCR riot operation in the Third Street Municipal Building before the destruction of the Divide befell the area.
Compared to the advanced riot gear, this set appears to have more attachments. It doesn't have the 11th Armored Cavalry emblem on the helmet but instead has a white U.S. Army star on the side. It has additional green tubes on its enhanced gas filter as well as an antenna connected to the flashlight on the right side of the helmet. There is also a canteen attached to the belt and a bandolier that spans across the chest plate, along with a strap of pouches. The duster is dark green instead of dark brown and it features reinforced shoulder plates and armored knee guards, which are not seen on any other variation of third-generation combat armor. It has recoil compensation materials woven into its arms, making it easy to aim and take down targets with gunfire. The helmet is equipped with advanced optics and a night vision unit which interfaces with riot armor to provide night vision and improved perception, as well as raw intimidation.
The elite riot gear bears a high level of protection for its weight. Like the other variants, the helmet gives the effect "Red Scare", which gives the user low-light visibility while in sneak mode between 6:00PM to 6:00AM or while indoors. This will toggle from on to off once you exit sneak mode.
- Third Street Municipal Building - on the top floor on a dead NCR riot control. It can be reached via the sewer pipe that connects floors two and three, next to a sniper rifle and a large quantity of .308 rounds on the floor.
- The elite riot gear's effects are listed as "Riot's Ruin" and the helmet's as "Red scare". They can be seen in the effects section of the Pip-Boy when equipped.
- The only medium armor with a higher damage threshold than this set is the Gannon family Tesla armor.
- Its item HP of 750 is the highest of any medium armor in the game.
- Its DT is on par with that of the Desert Ranger combat armor, with one more point of DT added by the helmet.
- The enhanced vision seems to differ between time; you will have red night vision at 12 am, and lighter green at darkened areas during day hours.
- The riot gear helmets are of the very few, if not the only, headgear that are considered "Heavy" apparel, and thus can almost not be repaired by any other headgear, even with Jury Rigging. However, it can be repaired with heavy body armor, such as metal armor. It can also be repaired with the ranger helmet.
- Playing caravan while the sneak sight is activated may make it difficult to see the cards.
- Looking down the Holorifle's scope while sneak sight is active makes it impossible to see the screen.
- pc ps3 xbox360 All versions of riot gear helmets and their variants are flagged specifically as "hair", so you can still wear hats or berets with them.
- ps3 Like both the riot gear and the advanced riot gear, the elite riot gear might get bugged into changing the color of the duster's shoulder part to red.
- ps3 Sometimes when exiting a cave with lighting effects (Like the highest entrance to the Camp Guardian cave) and in sneak mode, with the Elite Riot Gear Helmet on, you will blend both effects and cause them to remain active on your screen. Typically, exiting sneak mode and then moving to a different location will fix this. The bug itself makes it nearly impossible to see anything.