Edward was in employment of the Cabots, living in the city of Boston before the Great War. He was head of security and the messenger for the centuries-old family, in return given a room in the family's villa, located in Beacon Hill.
When the war began, Jack Cabot and Deegan secured Parsons State Insane Asylum and hired a security team to protect archaeologist and family patriarch Lorenzo Cabot, who was residing in a high-security cell located in the basement of the facility, from being freed by anyone who sought to exploit his otherworldly powers.
As the bombs fell, Jack found his father's special serum had made him immune to the effects of radiation, but Edward didn't have access to the serum, and thus became severely ill. Jack treated his employee's radiation poisoning and managed to keep him alive. Although Jack was unable to curb Deegan's transformation into a ghoul, it soon proved a blessing, because it greatly extended his life, making him virtually immortal, like the rest of the Cabots.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Special Delivery: Edward employs the Sole Survivor to come and work for Jack.
- Emogene Takes a Lover: After collecting the delivery, Edward asks if the Sole Survivor can help find Jack's sister, Emogene.
- The Secret of Cabot House: The Sole Survivor and Jack run into Edward, lying injured on the ground, during their mission to get into the heart of the asylum. Dependent on the outcome of the quest, he may again be encountered at the Cabot House; he can be persuaded to side with Lorenzo.
Combat armor (no helm or left arm)
- Depending on the outcome of the Secret of Cabot House quest, Edward can be convinced to turn against Jack and help Lorenzo. However, he will later comment on Lorenzo being crazy and and tell the player that he regrets his past actions. He also states that "he can't have second thoughts now."
- Deegan is not essential after The Secret of Cabot House is complete, after siding with Lorenzo. [verification needed]
- Although he starts as an essential character, Deegan can be killed while he sleeps with the Mister Sandman perk once The Secret of Cabot House is completed .
- Attacking the robots at the Cabot House will cause him to be hostile.
- Piper will hate it if Deegan is killed during The Secret of Cabot House. However, killing the Cabot family themselves garners no change in affinity from her.
- It is possible for Deegan to show up in the Dugout Inn and the Colonial Taphouse, even though Diamond City is off limits to ghouls (most likely an oversight on the developer's part).
Edward Deegan appears only in Fallout 4.