| ||For the pre-war company mentioned in Fallout 3, see Dunwich Borers LLC.|
Dunwich Borers is a location in the Commonwealth in 2287. It is home to a group of raiders. After clearing out the raiders that occupy the above ground portion of the quarry, the Sole Survivor can enter an underground section.
Before the war, it is presumed the site was owned by Dunwich Borers LLC, a company that manufactured rock drills for tunneling and drilling.
Initially, from what can be read from the terminals, the work site was extremely hazardous and a general lack of employee safety was apparent. However, as the Sole Survivor progresses further through the underground mine, a sinister operation is partially revealed.
It is never exactly revealed what the goal of "Management" is, although a flashback vision and the ruined shrine at the deepest part of the mine, coupled with the consistent negative effect on the people who have taken up residency here points to dark supernatural forces at work. It is probably related to the ritual being performed in the Dunwich Building during Fallout 3, where the supernatural entity called "Ug-Qualtoth" was being honored. A partially-revealed face, seemingly of a large silvery statue, is visible at the bottom of the radioactive well where Kremvh's Tooth is found, so it can be inferred that the objective of the mining operation was excavating this subterranean colossus.
The entrance is located all the way down the outdoor pit. The outside is guarded by about a dozen raiders, including one in power armor.
There is a tripwire trap not far from the entrance. Once entering, on the left there is a lift which leads to a door requiring a key from the corpse on the other side of this door--in other words this is where the Sole Survivor will emerge after going all the way through the facility.
Continuing ahead from the entrance, there is a turret and several more raiders. A circuit breaker (a switch) turns the power and some of the spotlights off. The unlocked Station 1 terminal is next to it, on the right (can be used to turn off turrets). Watch out for the grenade trap near the terminal. Ahead from this there's a cooking station (near the turret).
The way ahead now leads to the left. There is a side ladder leading to a Novice locked cell (tripwire trap at the bottom of the stairs), but then down the main path is terminal 2.
Just beyond the terminal is a weapons workbench with an ammo crate and a novice locked cooler. Continuing on to terminal 3, a huge pit opens up, at the bottom of which Bedlam will be found.
In the pit there's an armor workbench with an issue of Astoundingly Awesome Tales (5% less damage from robots) on it. Also there's a Novice Bedlam's terminal with some notes along with a steamer trunk. Ahead from the pit there's a door which Bedlam has apparently chained shut: removing the chains allows access to a corridor with feral ghoul corpses (and not only corpses later on). The Sole Survivor ends up near a wrecked machine with a skeleton. On the left there's a door: opening it triggers the first flashback.
There are more circuit breakers in the ghoul infested area: activating them turns on the lights and triggers a large group of ghouls to start running towards the player character.
Once past the initial ghoul attack, there is a significant fork in the path: straight ahead is the way to work station 4 and beyond it a water-filled pit with another flashback. Whereas the left hand part of the fork heading upwards leads to work stations 5 and 6 and eventually back to the exit. It is easy to get confused and think Bedlam's terminal was work station 4 when it is not-- if you reach station 5 without having explicitly seen station 4, you're missing part of the layout.
- Kremvh's Tooth in an irradiated pool of water. After the first flashback head to the right to find section four. An irradiated pool is guarded by the four project managers, now feral ghouls. In a tunnel near the bottom of the pool is the unique weapon. If one dives into the pool with power armor on, it will sink to the bottom and become impossible to recover.
- The Dunwich - Management holodisk is found on Tim Shoots' corpse.
- Sneak bobblehead can be found on a small table near the section 4 terminal.
- The Dunwich - Tim Shoots holodisk is found in the section 4 terminal.
- Astoundingly Awesome Tales #3 can be found on an armor workbench near Bedlam's terminal in the giant pit room.
- 3 mini nukes. After passing terminal 3, descend the winding staircase. After reaching the bottom, walk straight forward and look up on the marble wall. There is a mini nuke sitting there, to the left of Bedlam's terminal up on the rock face. For reference there is an armor workbench off to the right of the stairs. There are also two mini nukes in the underwater pool with Kremvh's Tooth on the wood altar containing the weapon.
- Bottlecap mine - located in the building at the top of the quarry, sitting on the cabinet left of the turret control terminal.
- At least 25 oil can be obtained by collecting the many canisters and lanterns throughout the site.
- A large quantity of bones can be found in and underneath the cages in the center area.
- Dunwich Borers key - inside the quarry, on a dead raider next to the door that it opens.
- Kidnapping - A group of raiders can take up residence in this location after they have kidnapped a settler. The Sole Survivor is required to come here and free the settler. The captured settler will be locked inside a cage between stations 1 and 2.
- Raider Troubles: Troublesome raiders might take refuge at this location between two attacks on the Commonwealth settlers.
- Butcher's Bill 2: Blackbird may be spawned inside the cage between stations 1 and 2.
- Reclamation: A synth is captured and locked up in a cage between stations 1 and 2.
- If one jumps with power armor into the pool of water with Kremvh's Tooth at the bottom, they will get stuck there and must either leave the power armor frame behind or revert to a previous save.
- Rumbles and footsteps can be felt and heard throughout the underground mine. The rumbling gets more frequent the closer one gets to the bottom of the mine.
- The Editor ID of the giant colossus face is "MetroMan_1". This is due to the fact that the face is simply a reused asset of the faces found around certain metro tunnels, such as the Mass Pike Tunnel.
- The two mini nukes underwater respawn every time the cell is refreshed, which can happen in multiple ways such as receiving a Minutemen radiant quest for this area.
- Occasionally the normally chained red exit door, which one can get to by taking the lift, will remain open from the last time the Sole Survivor has exited through it. This has no effect on loot and enemies and they should both be respawned, hopefully.
- Along with the raiders, the ghouls in the further end of the mine respawn as well.
- Upon collecting and playing the management holotape, all the named ghouls lose their names.
Dunwich Borers only appears in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Similar to the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3, random flashbacks to times before the Great War happen spontaneously, hinting to its paranormal background and its relations to the author H. P. Lovecraft, and his book series, the Cthulhu Mythos, and particularly, the short story, The Dunwich Horror. Note that in the bottom of the well in the end, one can notice part of a statue that resembles a face. Using Console commands it's possible to clip outside of the map to reveal the whole statue.
- The railroad track layout depicted in the concept art seems to be based off of the layout of Fletcher Granite company.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- ps4 pc Flashback scenes may not trigger properly and you may not receive any "named ghouls". [verified]
- ps4 The first raider encountered in the underground area will never respawn after being killed, and their body never disappears. [verification overdue]