You should have seen her back in her heyday! Why, we traveled up and down the coast, from the Commonwealth to the Broken Banks. Good times, but these days she's not fit to take out to the coast. Too many spouts ready to drown her, and too many critters looking for lunch.”— Tobar
The Duchess Gambit was a small sightseeing vessel used for tourist excursions along the Chesapeake Bay before the war. Tobar's grandfather found her and, with the help of his caravan, restored the boat's boiler, allowing the vessel to be powered by steam heat from any fuel that will fit inside the burner. Tobar has various ports of calls along the Atlantic Seaboard. Tobar's current career as a ferryman revolves around the punga fruit produced at Point Lookout.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Operated by Tobar the Ferryman and later by Nadine, it transports the Lone Wanderer to Point Lookout. It is comparable to that of The Pitt's rail car, and the Presidential metro in the Broken Steel add-on.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
Tobar sells the player tickets for 330 caps each (with 100 Barter, having Master Trader in addition drops the cost to 300), although, upon proceeding far enough into the main quest line, the player is able to ride for free when Nadine takes command of the ferry.
- Likely due to design oversight, when on the deck of the ferry you can hear the engine chugging away quite loudly, but it is completely silent inside the engine room.
- There are actually 2 versions of the Duchess Gambit, one for the Capital Wasteland and one for Point Lookout. This can be observed by dropping something on the cot and traveling between locations find it gone. Should you travel back and look at the cot, it will reappear. This is actually due to the fact that when an item is set down it is placed at a latitude and longitude point as opposed to on "something". However, items placed in the footlocker next to the cot do appear on the Duchess Gambit in both locations; this makes the footlocker a good place to store excess loot for when you return to the Capital Wasteland.
- When you ride the Duchess Gambit, one month will pass in the game's time.
- Blood will spatter if you shoot the mole rat-skin rug just inside the cot room door.
- Like the PMV Valdez, the Duchess Gambit is a ship that still operates hundreds of years after the Great War.