Don't Tread on the Bear!
|Side Quest: Don't Tread on the Bear!|
|Gain NCR infamy or complete any Legion, Mr. House or Yes Man questlines.|
|Continue gaining NCR infamy or continuing aforementioned questlines.|
|Reward: NCR infamy|
Failure of several NCR quests
The exact contents of this quest vary per actions. It can result in one of five outcomes:
- The NCR has a robust network of informants. Continued work with Mr. House makes the NCR neglect help.
- The NCR has a robust network of informants. Same as above, but when working with Yes Man.
- Little escapes the eyes of NCR Rangers. Continued to work with Caesar's Legion gives the NCR's brand of a terrorist.
- The NCR has declared you a terrorist. Wherever the NCR has jurisdiction, be ready for being shot to be killed.
- The NCR knows that you are working against its interests and will no longer accept your help.
The first three actions are, obviously, the result of aiding an opposing faction. The fourth is a result of gaining general NCR infamy, usually through killing their troops or launching the missile against Long 15. In the case of opposing faction quests, it will first activate as a warning upon the completion of a certain quest in the series. Completing another quest will fail the mission. You will no longer be able to take on NCR quests once this happens, and any NCR quests active will immediately fail, as well. In the latter two cases, the entire faction will be enemies with you giving a preparation to die. The NCR-based ending is no longer possible to achieve.
|5||Little escapes the eyes of NCR Rangers. If you continue to work with Caesar's Legion, the NCR will brand you a terrorist.|
|10||The NCR has declared you a terrorist. Wherever the NCR has jurisdiction, you will be shot on sight.|
|15||The NCR has a robust network of informants. If you continue to work with Mr. House, the NCR will no longer accept your help.|
|25||The NCR has a robust network of informants. If you continue to work with Mr. House or Yes Man, the NCR will no longer accept your help.|
|30||Quest failed||The NCR knows that you are working against its interests and will no longer accept your help.|
- Each faction quest has a specific trigger and failure point.
- The Independent path will trigger it upon the completion of either Wild Card: Change in Management or Wild Card: Side Bets, then fail upon the completion of the other.
- House's path will trigger it after completing The House Always Wins III, then fail it on part IV.
- Caesar's Legion will trigger it after the third part of Render Unto Caesar, and fail it after the fourth.
- Like Beware the Wrath of Caesar quest, almost anything can be done against the faction before the representative of the faction arrives, as long as they come to no harm, reputation should be reset to neutral, if the reputation is higher than natural, then it will not be reset. Quests like this are triggered after meeting them, unless the specific NPC is killed that will automatically fail the quest.
- If Ambassador Crocker or Colonel Moore dies, the NCR will instantly be hostile.
- Failing this quest will remove Ambassador Crocker and Colonel Moore from the game world, to reinforce that the NCR quest line can no longer be continued.
- As noted in the messages, reputation with the NCR will not be lowered if this quest is completed via House or Yes Man (unlike the Legion, the NCR does not consider them hostile). In fact, so long as nothing else to antagonize them is done, it is possible to breach the El Dorado substation and get them to agree to a truce with the Brotherhood of Steel (in Yes Man's path) without dropping reputation below Idolized. They will even still accept help in preventing President Kimball's assassination.
- If the Lucky 38 is exited for the first time and the unnamed NCR trooper approaches, but fast traveled away from before conversation initiates, he will follow until he tells that Ambassador Crocker wishes to talk. This can lead to problems if having entered Nellis Air Force Base and let him catch up. If the trooper catches up and talks, as he walks out of Nellis, the Artillery Barrage will annihilate him. This will result in failing "Don't Tread on the Bear!" and may result in the label as a terrorist.
Behind the scenesEdit
"Don't Tread on the Bear!" is a reference to the "Gadsden Flag", a historical flag that depicted a coiled rattlesnake over the phrase "Don't Tread on Me."