A Brotherhood base? Here? Are you shitting me? No one's seen them for years. I don't suppose you've got a scrap of evidence to support this wild-eyed claim of yours?”
Ranger Dobson is an NCR Ranger using one of the hidden bunkers at Hidden Valley as a base while out on a NCR Correctional Facility reconnaissance mission. He is unaware of the nearby Brotherhood presence and is having problems getting his radio to work.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Still in the Dark: McNamara wants Dobson gone from the area. He can be killed or tricked into leaving (requires Speech 50). However, one cannot speak to him if their reputation with the NCR is bad. Alternatively, he can be warned about the Brotherhood of Steel; however, this will cause the quest to fail. Dobson will remove the collar from the Courier's neck and the Brotherhood will attack. If he survives, he returns to the base and the Courier will gain fame with the NCR.
- If one elects to smash the broken ham radio while Dobson is looking, he will become hostile and attack. However, if one can make him leave the bunker after stealing the supplies and then smash the radio, the quest should complete and Dobson will not attack.
- If one chooses the Speech check to complete the objectives, one can still find him there about to depart, upon returning to the bunker at a later point in time. There are a lot of grenade bouquets, which if detonated will engulf the entire bunker upon explosion. Dobson will also have left an accompanying note.
- His journal in his hide-out can be read in two stages. Entry one before having met McNamara and starting Still in the Dark, the other three entries after starting this quest.
- Dobson usually leaves the bunker at around 9 AM. If one fights the Brotherhood after Dobson removes the collar and keeps him alive, Dobson has additional dialogue if he witnesses this event.
- If the player character has a high enough Explosives skill, Dobson's radio can be rigged to explode, instantly killing him.
- "Thought you'd sneak up on me, you filthy powder ganger?"
- "You've seen that with your own two eyes? Goddamn, I knew Cooke's gang passed through these parts 'bout that frequently, but I didn't know they holed up here."
- "A Brotherhood base? Here? Are you shitting me? No one's seen them for years. I don't suppose you've got a scrap of evidence to support this wild-eyed claim of yours?"
Dobson appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- ps3 Dobson may appear in the Southern Hidden Valley Bunker, although he will be invisible. The "talk" button will still appear but it will do nothing. Shooting near him in this state will make him say things like, "Watch where you're shooting". [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes, if Dobson survives the encounter with the Brotherhood, the player character may still not gain any reputation from the NCR. [verified]
- pc xbox360 He sometimes may be found just outside of Hidden Valley, although everything else is the same except his position. You can still talk to him about leaving the bunker. [verified]