Many sticks can be broken. A bundle cannot.”
Some people in Shady Sands say that they are the followers of Dharma. In our world, dharma is a Sanskrit word roughly translatable as "law" or "the way", and, for practicing Buddhists, dharma is used to mean the teachings of the Buddha.
Aradesh says that Dharma was a great religious man. It is unknown whether he means Buddha or some other pre-War or post-war religious leader of some new dharmic religion. Characters who reference Dharma in the game are Aradesh, Agatha, Seth and Katrina.
Quoted by Aradesh and Agatha:
- "Dharma was a great, religious man. You would do well to listen closely to his sayings." – Aradesh
- "Greetings, wanderer. Please do not be offended if the gentlefolk about seem rude. As Dharma said, 'Tough times tan the human hide.' Your business in Shady Sands might be?" – Aradesh
- "Dharma said, 'A man and his wayward tongue are soon parted.' Come back when you have learned some manners." – Aradesh
- Caution is life in troubled times.
- Many sticks can be broken. A bundle cannot.
- Heed not the call of the wolf when the fox is raiding the hen house.
- Those who tend their own flock, know the shepherd.
- While you are out hunting the wolves, do not bring the lion to your den.
- The farmer who plants politeness will walk easy when the season is over.
Dharma is mentioned only in the first Fallout.