It is used to detonate C-4 after it is planted. The tool itself has no specific power to attack opponents, only along with some C-4 is it useful. Condition of the device does not affect its ability to detonate the C-4.
- Loyal's detonator is given to you by Loyal to activate a buoyancy device.
- Honest Hearts Mining detonator, used to collapse the cave in River Monsters.
- Old World Blues (add-on) Broken detonator, can be found in the Little Yangtze Watchtower. It is considered a miscellaneous item.
- One can be found in the Vault 34 Armory along with 3 C-4 plastic explosives.
- Two can sometimes be bought in the Dino Bite gift shop in Novac.
- One can be found in a footlocker located at the road block on the road east of Novac where Ranger Milo is stationed along with two C-4 plastic explosive.
- One can be found in the Lucky 38 casino on the cocktail lounge floor in a hard locked briefcase.
- One can sometimes be bought from Chet in Goodsprings General Store
- Sometimes they can be bought from the arms merchant at the 188 Trading Post
- One can sometimes be bought from Blake at the Crimson Caravan Company.
- One can sometimes be purchased from Lacey at the Mojave Outpost.
- Dead Money One can be found in the Sierra Madre along with 3 C-4 plastic explosives. Enter the Police Station via the west doorway. Turn north at Dog's cell to enter a short hallway & face west. Enter the first door on your right. In this room in an Average locked locker leaning in the north west corner of the room.
- Traveling merchants rarely carry them
- Michelle at the 188 trading post will always restock on a range of around 1-4 every three days.
- The detonator can be used at the Second Battle of Hoover Dam inside the checkpoint building to blow up some generators and kill the Legion forces on the other side of it.
- C-4 cannot be detonated remotely if you do not have a detonator. However, one can shoot it when it's placed on the ground to detonate it.