I've been around for a long goddamn time.”— Desmond Lockheart
Before the bombs dropped, Desmond was a player in international intelligence at the highest levels. Desmond's motives and obsessions have been scarcely affected by the apocalyptic devastation of the planet. Desmond and those he would consider his peers knew for some time that the Great War was inevitable. Desmond himself could have been directly involved in the actions leading up to the nuclear exchange.
Facing the nuclear holocaust, global leaders and members of the intelligence community made their personal bids for survival in the new world. F.E.V., cryogenic stasis, AI consciousness, even - in Desmond's case - controlled exposure to normally lethal doses of radiation were among the wildly risky and experimental techniques pursued in the name of survival in a world without modern infrastructure. Old rivalries and vendettas were not forgotten in the ashes of nuclear winter. Those who managed to survive quickly set about doing what the bombs had not: wiping out any remnants of the Old World that may be a threat to personal and political agendas. Now, even so long after they should all have died naturally, these scattered figures seek power and jealously guard their secrets. Desmond's mission has long since ceased to be political or idealogical. He knew - as experience has proven tenfold - that as long as any of his colleagues lived, he would be hunted. His purpose is simple: kill or be killed.
Interactions with the player character
- The Local Flavor: Gives you the next quest after you defend Calvert Mansion.
- Walking with Spirits: Speaking with Desmond starts this quest.
- Hearing Voices: Gives you the next quest after you speak to Jackson.
- Thought Control: Speaking with Desmond starts this quest.
- A Meeting of the Minds: Speaking with Desmond starts this quest.
Effects of player actions
If you wish to acquire all of the collectable items in Point Lookout, you can kill Calvert, then turn in the quest to Desmond, then kill Desmond and take his glasses.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Dirty pre-War businesswear
- Some of his dialogue hints that Desmond is British. His accent and dialogue phrasing seem to confirm this. His general accent and use of a soft 'a' when pronouncing words such as 'bastard' and 'fast', indicate he is from the Midlands. Professor Calvert also refers to Desmond as "limey", a semi-derogatory term for the British.
- He owns two dogs named Freki and Geri. Freki is a vicious dog and Geri is a scavenger's dog, and are referred to by Desmond as his "pups".
- If kept alive, Desmond disappears from the game after you exit the Underground Lab upon completion of A Meeting of the Minds. If talked to beforehand, he will mention traveling north to pursue his next rival, another "player" in the "Great Game", a Post-War struggle between former geniuses and billionares.
- Together with Snowflake, Desmond is the only ghoul with a full head of styled hair and the only ghoul, besides Raul (in New Vegas), with facial hair. There is another ghoul named Griffon in the Broken Steel add-on who appears to have hair, but is actually wearing a wig.
- Desmond swears far more than almost any other character in the game, seconded only by Mayor MacCready from Little Lamplight.
- Even though Desmond is rude, he appears to be the "Good" Karma choice for the Meeting of the Minds quest, since he drops an Ear if killed by the player with the Contract Killer Perk. However, you do not lose Karma for killing him.
- Every time you knock out Desmond before the end of the quest A Meeting of the Minds, his body spawns an ear which you can pickpocket from him.
- Despite the player helping Desmond out and doing his 'dirty work', Desmond stays rude to the player even if they decide to help him out all the way. He will, however, say quietly, "It pains me to say it, but thank you..." if you walk near him after killing Calvert.
- "My story? Tell you what, kid. My story's a lot like a deathclaw's tongue. It's long, messy, and you don't want to get too personal with it. Understand?"
- "Those mud-lovers want me dead, and haven't extended the common fucking courtesy of telling me why!"
- "What's the difference between you and me, kid? What makes a gifted killer like yourself into a rock-hard bastard like me? The answer is TRAINING you ignorant FUCK! I've got a hundred years of experience on you, and don't you forget it!"
- "What? You betrayed me because I wasn't polite? Are you out of your fucking mind?"
- "Then pretty please, fucking help me rid the world of Professor Calvert."
Behind the scenes
- ps3 Upon death, Desmonds' corpse will have two ears on it, rather than just one.
- ps3 Desmond tells you to lay mines for the invading tribals, however if Desmond approaches them they will detonate and Desmond will become hostile towards the player. Hiding from Desmond and waiting whilst Hidden will rectify this. Desmond will calm down and return to normal.