| ||For an overview of combat armor in the Fallout universe, see combat armor.|
Desert Ranger combat armor
A military-issue armor boasting a desert camouflage pattern from the same manufacturer as the L.A.P.D. riot armors, worn with a matching military helmet with built-in low light optics, a combination IR/white light lamp and gas mask, a green duster and a set of military khaki pants. The owner's data is printed on the collar and includes rank, name, service branch, and blood type, to facilitate easy identification and possibly treatment of wounded or dead soldiers.
This particular type of armor was issued to U.S. Marines operating in China during the Yangtze Campaign and Gobi Campaign between 2066-2077 before the Great War. It was most principally used in Nanjing, Shanghai and Gobi Desert, which seemed to have been the sites of most of the combat between the U.S. and their rivals, China.
After the Great War, the Texas Rangers moved west to Nevada and became the Desert Rangers, using this armor as their traditional uniform. They were famous in Nevada, using survival and combat skills in order to protect people in cities and towns from enemies such as the White Legs, tribals, and super mutants. Later, the Desert Rangers came into contact with Caesar's Legion in Arizona and a war ensued. The war was going poorly for the Desert Rangers until, in 2271, NCR Rangers reached the Mojave Wasteland and signed the "Ranger Unification Treaty" with the Desert Rangers to be absorbed into the NCR Rangers in exchange for NCR's protection of the Hoover Dam and Nevada from Caesar's Legion.
After the merge between the Desert Rangers and the NCR Rangers in 2271, the NCR abandoned this armor and began to create a new model for these Veteran Rangers, the NCR Ranger combat armor, which was largely based on this armor. However, there are some differences, mainly the rust and weathering of the armor.
This particular ensemble belonged to Staff Sgt. R.B. Vickers, a U.S. Marine involved in the Yangtze Campaign before the Great War. After his death, it eventually found its way into the hands of Randall Clark, also known as the Survivalist, who left it in Stone Bones cave while fleeing Vault 22 inhabitants in 2096.
The armor provides excellent protection, equal to a suit of T-45d power armor, but it is a medium armor. The armor weighs the same as NCR Ranger combat armor but it provides +2 DT more, and the helmet is weightless and provides +1 DT more.
- NCR Ranger combat armor - armor of the NCR Veteran Rangers, whose creation is based on the Desert Ranger combat armor.
- Lonesome Road (add-on) Riot gear - an advanced version of the L.A.P.D. riot armor and the military helmet used by the pre-War riot control officers in the Divide.
- Lonesome Road (add-on) Advanced riot gear - an advanced model of the riot gear which was used by the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, was used by the NCR riot control officers in the Divide.
- Lonesome Road (add-on) Elite riot gear - a unique armor which was used by an important NCR riot control officer in the Divide.
|NCR Ranger combat armor||20||30||600||7500||Medium armor||Disguise: NCR|
|Desert Ranger combat armor||22||30||600||8000||Medium armor||None|
|Riot gear||20||30||500||7994||Medium armor||Guns +5, Agl +1|
|Advanced riot gear||21||25||600||8494||Medium armor||Explos. +10, End +1|
|Elite riot gear||22||23||750||12500||Medium armor||Crit +5, Guns +10, Charis +1|
- Tycho, from the first Fallout game was described as wearing this armor, but no in-game model for it was made.
- The eyes of this helmet are green, just like in early concept art for the NCR Ranger combat armor.
- The tourniquet on the right leg is most likely the same one tied on by Randall Clark, after being wounded by a refugee from Vault 22. In his diary entry for 2096, he states that it was to prevent leaving a blood trail back to his hideout.
- On the back of the helmet are the crudely-written names of two locations, Nanjing and Shanghai, and abbreviations of months for each place. Nanjing has JUN, JUL, AUG, and an SE which is crossed out. Shanghai has SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB, MAR, APL, and MAY. The words "FORGIVE ME MAMA" are scrawled across the front of the helmet.
- There are multiple tally marks along the helmet, most likely representing how many people Vickers killed during his tour in China as a United States Marine.
- Unlike NCR Ranger combat armor, Desert Ranger combat armor is not faction armor.
- Repairing this armor when it's fully broken costs 16,000 caps.
- It's possible that the weight of the helmet being 0 is an oversight, as the Ranger helmet originally had a weight of 0.
- Despite being described as possessing "low light optics", neither the NCR Ranger combat armor's nor the Desert Ranger combat armor's helmets possess this trait. It is, however, found in all forms of riot gear.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Desert Rangers are originally from Wasteland, Fallout's predecessor.
- ↑ On the desert ranger combat armor R.B. Vickers is painted on the armor. Was this going to be Clark's name and was just changed at the last minute or is it his friend's armor, or just some dude's, that died and Clark was just using it to survive in Zion? | Formspring