Trade with Canyon Runner if you like. Make trouble and things won't go well for you.”
Severus is a Legion decanus stationed at Cottonwood Cove. Severus originally commanded the Legion outpost with a contubernium of eight legionaries, but he is now in charge of overseeing the stores of supplies for the Legion troops and commands the remaining troops alongside Aurelius of Phoenix. Severus also coordinates the patrols. The primary issue these patrols face is the NCR's landmines, over their coordination or marksmanship.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Arizona Scavenger: The player may trade NCR dogtags to him for food, weapons, armor, or ammunition and Legion fame after passing a Barter check of 35 with Aurelius of Phoenix.
- If you have 50 Explosives skill you can tell Severus how to disarm NCR frag mines. This will earn you experience, and +2 to Caesar's Legion fame. This can be repeated numerous time by simply asking about "Do you see much action against the NCR?" then saying "That is all for now." finally, choose the text option of "I can show you how to disarm the NCR's mines." with passing the Explosive skill check and repeat the process.
- If you have the powder charge schematics you can teach Decanus Severus to craft them for +4 to Legion fame. The schematics for building powder charges can be found in Cell block B of the NCR Correctional Facility on the first left top bunk inside the first locked cell on the left.
Weapons: (Note: asking to redeem for weapons immediately removes five dogtags from the player's inventory)
- 20-25 NCR dogtags → 9mm SMG, +1 to Legion Fame
- 25 NCR dogtags → laser pistol, +1 to Legion Fame
- 30 (25) NCR dogtags → 10mm SMG, +1 to Legion Fame
- 50 NCR dogtags → laser rifle, +1 to Legion Fame
Armor: (Note: asking to redeem for armor immediately removes five dogtags from the player's inventory)
- 15 NCR dogtags → leather armor, +1 to Legion Fame
- 20 NCR dogtags → Leather armor, reinforced, +1 to Legion Fame
- 1 NCR dogtag → 10 rounds of .22LR, 9mm, .357, 10mm, 20 gauge, or small energy cells, +1 to Legion Fame
- 1 NCR dogtag → 1 random food item, +1 to Legion Fame
- 3 NCR dogtags → 1 random food item, +4 to Legion Fame
- 5 NCR dogtags → 1 random food item, +12 to Legion Fame
- 10 NCR dogtags → 1 random food item, no Legion Fame
Due to several bugs with Severus' dialog, turning in dogtags five at a time in exchange for food will yield the most fame per tag, granting +12 Legion fame for five tags. Turning in 25 dogtags five at a time is sufficient to become Liked, 10 for Accepted and 5 for Neutral. Turning in 40 tags five at a time, followed by another 3 tags in one set of three will grant the Courier Idolized status with the Legion.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Legion prime armor
Prime decanus helmet
|.44 Magnum revolver
- Severus is notably taller than the player character.
- He will refuse to interact with the Courier if a negative reputation with the Legion is gained.
Decanus Severus appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Latin, decanus refers to a military rank of "a commander of ten soldiers," while severus is translated as "stern" or "severe."