Death Ray attached to Mothership Zeta
The death ray is the giant alien raygun attached to the underside of the Mothership Zeta. It appears to be its main offensive weapon. The Lone Wanderer uses the ray to destroy an alien enemy ship, which begins to attack the hijacked Zeta.
The Lone Wanderer first encounters the death ray when he reaches the observation area. A giant alien head will appear as a holographic display and speak angrily. After a while, a very loud noise will be heard, and if one looks down they will be able to see a large beam cross the see-through floor.
Shortly after, the quest This Galaxy Ain't Big Enough... will begin, and the destruction of the death ray will become your major objective.
Use of the Death RayEdit
- Shields: Most of the ship's energy is dispensed to the shield, giving you extra protection but weakening your Death Ray.
- Intermediate: The ship's energy is dispensed equally amongst the shields and the Death Ray. This is the initial stance.
- Powerful Ray: The ship's energy goes to the Death Ray, severely weakening your shields but giving your Death Ray much more power.
The options are, respectively, from the right to the left on the console. Use the button in the middle to fire. It takes roughly five seconds to charge each time and its ability to fire will be shown through the button lighting up and spinning.
- The player has an opportunity to attack Earth with the death ray. After the room with the generator nest is cleared out, the ray can be configured to aim at Earth near Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada . The explosion spans around 350 miles, or 550 kilometers (past Detroit or Cleveland). The controls on the right console change where the death ray aims, and the right-hand control on the left console fires the Death Ray.
- Unusually, after you "disable" the death ray by blowing up its power supply, you are still able to use it at the end of the quest to take out an incoming alien spaceship, and the Death Ray functions perfectly fine.
There is a quest that was cut from the final version of the game titled Death Ray.