Death messages are the lines played at the death screen (or Game Over screen) in Fallout and Fallout 2 when the player character dies. While the death messages are apparently played randomly in Fallout, in Fallout 2, the messages change depending on how far the player got by the time s/he was killed.
- "You fought valiantly, but to no avail. Your twisted and ruined body goes down in a hail of bullets... and thus ends your life in the wasteland..."
- "The radiation has taken its toll. Your death was lingering and extremely painful. Your adventure is done..." (A death message specifically meant for death by radiation poisoning)
- "Your life ends in the wasteland..."
- "Not even the carrion eaters are interested in your irradiated corpse..." (While this death message is also played randomly under normal circumstances, it always plays when your character specifically dies of radiation poisoning)
- "The darkness of the afterlife is all that awaits you now. May you find more peace in that world than you found in this one..."
- "Your bones are scraped clean by the desolate wind. Your Vault will now surely die... as you have..."
- "Rest in peace, Chosen One."
- "You have perished."
- "The wasteland has claimed your life. Arroyo attempts to send out others to search for the GECK, but they die quickly, and the village soon follows."
- "You have died. Your village is lost, doomed to die of starvation."
- "You have died. Your quest to find the Garden of Eden, and return it to your village, has failed."
- "You have died. You shall never know what happened to your kidnapped village."
- "You have died; along with everyone else on the Earth. The Enclave triumphs, releasing the FEV virus into the atmosphere."
- "Your death has sealed the fate of everyone else on Earth. The Enclave triumphs, releasing the FEV virus into the atmosphere. Millions die, and the Earth falls silent... again."
- "You fought valiantly... but to no avail. The Enclave triumphs, and soon, the entire world dies."
Joke deaths (not found in the actual game)
- You're dead. Again.
- You're dead as a doornail.
- Time to reload.
- Hoped you saved your game, cause you're dead.
- Here's a picture of your corpse. Not pretty.
- Boy, are you stupid. And dead.
- Ha ha ha ha ha. You're dead, moron!
- You're dead. Maybe you should start the game over with a different character. Your point allocation sucks.
- Nom nom nom says the creature feasting on your body.
- Couldn't charm your way out of that one.
Fallout and Fallout 2 death messages