Dead Wind Cavern is a location in the Mojave Wasteland, located near Primm Pass and south of REPCONN test site past Harper's shack. It is home to a wide variety of deathclaws including the legendary deathclaw.
The entrance of the cave rests at the end of a long, shallow valley running north east to south west, inclining towards the cave. One of the sides that inclines is a hollowed-out rock. A small pack of deathclaws and young deathclaws congregates near the entrance.
Once inside, there should be one or two deathclaws waiting in an area near the entrance. This initial cavern funnels into a single passage which quickly forks left and right. The right fork leads to a long, rectangular hallway/room and contains two or three deathclaws before it dead-ends.
The left fork also opens into a long, rectangular area with another two or three deathclaws. A passageway to the left leads to a hatchery area, containing a deathclaw mother and a few deathclaw babies or a young deathclaw and the pile of deathclaw eggs needed for the Bleed Me Dry quest. Just past this passageway, after being forced to turn right, is the impassable rubble between this area and the "right fork" from the first split. There's a skeleton and a duffle bag lying up against this rubble, accessible from this side.
The final room of the cavern lies to the left, just before the duffle bag. It should contain two normal deathclaws and the legendary deathclaw. This is also the location of a dead Brotherhood of Steel paladin wearing Brotherhood T-45d power armor and a T-45d power helmet, with a few dozen 40mm grenades on her body (both normal and incendiary varieties). Mercy, a unique 40mm grenade machinegun should be lying beside the body.
- Mercy, located in the room with the legendary deathclaw.
- Brotherhood T-45d power armor, worn by a Brotherhood of Steel paladin in the room with the legendary deathclaw.
Dead Wind Cavern appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- ps3 pc Occasionally a 'phantom deathclaw' will be found in the cave. The sight will turn red in certain areas, you will hear the sounds of a deathclaw and your companions will attack an empty space. It will inflict no damage to either you or your companions.[verified]
- xbox360 Rarely, when entering the cave, the deathclaw straight ahead of you will randomly die.[verified]
- xbox360 pc ps3 Rarely, when entering the cavern for the first time, the legendary deathclaw may spawn right in front of you and not in the last section of the cave.[verified]
- ps3 If the legendary deathclaw spots the player before the room of the cave where it resides is entered, it may run at the player, but become stuck in the passageway with no way to get to the player. When this happens, it is possible for the player to simply shoot from a distance until the legendary deathclaw is dead without a fight.[verification overdue]