The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
My entire life has been in this vault. I have analyzed and learned everything there is to know here. So now I must see the rest of the Commonwealth. Consult with scientists. Unearth more data to challenge my hypotheses.”
Curie began as a Miss Nanny robot intended for use in the secret partition of Vault 81 as a lab assistant. Only a handful of the vault's scientific staff were working in the vault when the Great War hit, which led Dr. Kenneth Collins to modify the robot and give it greater operational freedom so that it could conduct its own experiments.
Dr. Collins programmed a custom feminine personality derived from history's famed intellectuals such as Marie Skłodowska Curie, Charles Darwin, Michael Faraday, Alan Turing, Alexander Braun, Immanuel Kant, Max Born and Albert Einstein, added a French-accented voice (based on a woman Collins had a relationship with while studying in Paris in the 2040's), and christened his creation "Curie", an acronym based on the robot's original designation (CVRIE). As Curie began taking on greater responsibilities, Dr. Collins insisted that the other scientists treat her as they would a human, and even set aside a terminal for her personal use, an act of kindness that initially bewildered Curie, but which she later came to appreciate. Through her work and interaction with the scientists, Curie gradually developed a degree of self-awareness and independence that surprised even Dr. Collins.
When the scientists eventually succumbed to old age, Curie curated their remains, storing the bodies of two in empty lockers and cremating the third according to his wishes. For decades, Curie took on their research alone and in 2204 completed Vault 81's original initiative: she perfected a panacea capable of curing every disease that afflicted humanity. Unfortunately, she was still beholden to her programming and was incapable of leaving the secret partition without express authorization from a Vault-Tec employee. For 83 years, she waited idly for Vault-Tec security to arrive, watching the escaped mole rats that had been used as test subjects run free.
When Curie was finally discovered by the Sole Survivor in 2287, she elatedly handed over the last remaining unexpired dose of the cure and decided to travel with the Survivor in order to seek out new research opportunities in the Commonwealth. Eventually, she realized that her Miss Nanny body and programming lacked the inspirational spark that all great scientists had, and requested the Sole Survivor to help her transfer her mind and memories into a human body so that she could achieve more as a scientist.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Hole in the Wall: Curie has access to the cure Austin needs, although she will only give it once all the nearby Mole Rats are terminated.
- Emergent Behavior: Curie wants a human body to be a better scientist.
- Curie will occasionally give the player stimpaks.
- Curie will request to leave if she enters Vault 81, but her affection level will not change.
- Curie is a potential candidate for romance, an option that unlocks after reaching the highest level of affinity.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- Curie can be let out from her laboratory. In addition, she can become a synth if the player character asks Doctor Amari in Memory Den to transfer her memory into a synth body (quest Emergent Behavior).
- Upon becoming idolized by Curie, she will tell about a breakthrough she has made with mutfruit or stimpak, and give the Combat Medic perk, which heals the Sole Survivor for 100 Hit Points once a day when falling below 10% health.
- Curie's affinity towards the player character won't increase any further from the value 499 before the quest Emergent Behavior is completed, even if the game states that "Curie loved that".
Range of interestsEdit
|Flannel shirt and jeans (Can be given other clothes and armor)||Laser rifle (Can be given other weapons, including melee)||-|
- When first talking to Curie through the glass inside the vault, she will open the door no matter what the player chooses to say.
- If the player character chooses to download Curie into a synth body, items given to her as a robot will no longer be in her inventory. However, if one goes to the first floor of the Memory Den they can find Curie's old Miss Nanny body on the floor and gather the things from there. If the body disappears try typing prid 865d1 then moveto player
- When arriving at Covenant for the first time, she will comment on how cute it is and suggest going inside. However she dislikes the player character doing this, making her suggestion paradoxical.
- Unlike Codsworth, Curie is armed with a laser weapon instead of a flamer making her much more effective against distant targets but not quite as lethal at close range.
- Unlike all other companions, Curie has a fixed amount of health (440 as a Miss Nanny and 670 as a synth), regardless of the player's current level. This is in contrast to Codsworth and all other companions, who level up alongside the player. Codsworth's health will equal Curie's Miss Nanny health at player level 49, and surpass her at higher levels. In fact, Curie has the highest health of all the possible companions, up until around level 50.
- Curie's unusually high health for a companion (at least until the player reaches around level 50) is balanced out by the fact she has 0 damage resistance or energy resistance, and cannot equip armor while a Miss Nanny.
- As a synth, Curie's 670 health and ability to equip armor makes her by far the most durable companion, and the other companions will not catch up to her until the player exceeds level 107.
- Curie, when transferred into her new body, will still have her old battle AI, meaning on long-range she will use her default laser rifle, but in close range, since she will not have the cutting saw arm, she will use her fists unless she has found or has been given a melee weapon. This can be fixed by recruiting a different companion, then going back to her, she will then behave like a normal humanoid companion.
- As a Miss Nanny, she is able to equip the Bowler hat, like Codsworth. This has no effect on her total health, despite the item's +1 endurance bonus.
- Curie tends to pick up an excess of weapons which she may use instead of her base laser rifle or her fists in close range. Even when given more powerful weapons, she will collect things like pipe pistols or swords as the player defeats enemies. She also tends to loot ammo from dead enemies; even when possessing a weapon that uses that ammo type she will not use the weapon.
- Diamond City security and other NPCs will continue to comment on having Curie as a companion as if she were a robot even if she has been moved into the body of a synth.
- When Curie first meets the Japanese-speaking robot Takahashi in Diamond City, she will respond to him saying "Watashi wa Curie desu." (Meaning "I am Curie.") This indicates that Curie is multilingual, she speaks English, French and Japanese.
- Despite becoming a synth and liking when the player says positive things about synths, Curie seems to have sympathy for the Brotherhood of Steel, as she likes when the player joins or helps them, excluding the destruction of The Railroad.
- Curie will not say anything if the player brings her to their dead spouse's cryo chamber in Vault 111 .
- When talking to Moe Cronin in Diamond City about what baseball actually was, she will humorously correct him on how baseball was played, mentioning RBI and batting averages.
- Curie can be modified at a Robot workbench.
- During Curie's companion quest if she has been modified at the robot workbench her body will revert to its default state during the transfer.
- "We must find the men of science and institutes of learning, surely they are out there still."
- "I find myself... humming inside. I feel so very... happy, this is the word!"
- "Stimpaks are a marvelous invention, don't you think?" – When giving the player a stimpak
- "It is so hard to wrap my head around what I feel for you. Before, there was only duty. Now, something more." – When asked about your relationship.
- "Though dangerous, combat is quite vigorous exercise."
- "Perhaps you have missed your calling. With skills like this, you could be a Mr. Handy."
- "I believe the term is..."Yahoo"?" – After killing an enemy, reference to the third book of the Hyperion series by Dan Simons, Endymion.
- "Ah, my Vault. Please, let's go elsewhere." – Upon entering Vault 81
- "My control of feelings is worse than before. And you, you are no help. With your teasing of poor little Curie." – During her third approval talk, even if the Sole Survivor hasn't flirted with her.
- "What a contradiction a human is. To be lacking in so many capabilities, but being blessed with such a tapestry of emotions."
- "Visibility has decreased, perhaps you should do one of your sleeps?" – When it gets dark out near a Settlement.
- "Someone is nearby. Perhaps they are friendly." – When nearby an enemy
- "Well, you look quite dashing in that." – When entering power armor
- "The boat! It is on the building! That is the USS Constitution. Mon dieu." – Upon visiting the USS Constitution
- Curie: "Power Noodles. Sounds very nutritious." [to Takahashi] "What type of noodles do you serve?"
Takahashi: "Nan-ni shimasho-ka?"
Curie: "Oh, Japanese. Watashi wa Curie desu."
Takahashi: "Nan-ni shimasho-ka?"
Curie: "You know, I think this robot is broken." – Conversation between Curie and Takahashi
- "It pains me to say goodbye. But we will be together again soon, yes?" – When dismissing romanced Curie
- "Put something on at once. You could catch a cold. / Well, this makes it easy for me to conduct a physical inspection, at least. / I believe not wearing clothes is considered taboo? But maybe that data is old." – When walking around naked
- Curie: "Oh, it is a Mr. Handy." [to Deezer] "What is your function?"
Deezer: "Don't be the last person on the block to try fabulous Deezer's lemonade."
Curie: "Lemonade, truly? But I see no lemons."
Deezer: "The secret recipe is a tightly guarded secret. But here, try a complementary beverage."
Curie: "He is very odd, no?" – Conversation between Curie and Deezer
- When looting a body:
- "I believe we are supposed to file a police report, yes? And all the little things go in baggies for evidence."
- "Shouldn't a coroner be doing that instead?"
- When deciding to trade:
- "Are you giving me a present?"
- "Here's what I have on me."
- "Trade is good."
- When engaging combat:
- "Why is everything so dangerous up here?"
- "We are in combat, again?"
- "There is a whole lot more up here than I was led to believe."
- After romancing her:
- "I may be getting this out of order. But, I love you." – When romanced with the "Start a relationship" option
- "Perhaps we can conduct further nocturnal experiments? Tonight."
- "I thought the greatest challenge to advancing science would be the limitations of the human brain. But it is instead you, so deliciously distracting."
- "You have no need to ask. As long as we are together, I... I have no words."
- "You must be very careful. The idea of you coming to harm. There, my heart is fluttering again."
- "I must warn you, the thought of you being... close with someone else causes very complicated emotions in me."
- Activating the Lover's Embrace perk:
- "Good morning, my love."
- "Sleep well, my love?"
- "I feel so wonderfully rested."
- "Another day with you."
- "Do we have to get up?"
- When Curie is the current companion and someone else is chosen:
- Deacon: "Do not get him/her in any trouble, Monsieur Deacon." To which Deacon replies: "Me? Get into trouble? I am the very definition of innocence. We’re just going to spend all day playing canasta. Promise."
- MacCready: "Do you have any new injuries for me to treat today, Monsieur MacCready?" To which MacCready replies: "Feeling fine, thanks. But if a couple Stimpaks fall my way, I wouldn’t object."
- John Hancock: "You are such a fascinating specimen, Monsieur Hancock." To which Hancock does not reply.
- Cait: "I think if you travel with Cait, you may need to bring a little more ammo." To which Cait replies: "You’re just jealous because you’ll be missin’ all the fun."
- Codsworth: "If it isn’t Monsieur Codsworth. It is a pleasure to see you again" To which Codsworth replies: "Doubly so for me, Miss Curie. Don’t worry, I’ll keep the Master safe."
- Piper: "You know, your Publick Occurrences should have scientific articles" To which Piper replies: "You’ve never met our readers, have you?"
- Danse: "Oh, it is Monsieur Danse. One day we must talk of the technological marvels of the Brotherhood." To which Danse replies: "Sharing technological information isn’t permitted. However, if you wish to donate yourself for study, I’m certain our scribes would be pleased."
- Strong: "To see a Super Mutant up so close. It is amazing." To which Strong does not reply.
- Nick Valentine: "You are a scientific marvel, Monsieur Nick." To which Nick does not reply.
- Preston Garvey: "I think with more people like you, Monsieur Garvey, civilization will rise again." To which Preston replies: "That's the goal ma'am."
- When someone else is the current companion and Curie is chosen:
- Deacon: (Nanny) "Getting traded out for the tin can? How humiliating. Hey, Curie." To which Curie replies: "I assure you, Monsieur Deacon, I am fully equipped and quite capable of dealing with a multitude of situations." (Synth) "I like the new look, Curie. And people give me a hard time just for swapping out my face." To which Curie replies: "Unlike you, I did not undergo such a procedure on a whim."
- MacCready: "Well Curie, I guess you're up. Have fun out there." To which Curie replies: "Mon dieu! Always so polite. Au revoir to you, MacCready."
- John Hancock: "So, you gonna be able to take care of yourself out there?" To which Curie replies: "I have read all the available materials on the subject. Will that not be sufficient?"
- Cait: "Gonna replace me with the egghead eh? Well, good luck in a firefight." To which Curie replies: "No need to worry, Mademoiselle Cait. My offensive capabilities are quite formidable."
- X6-88: (Nanny) "In my judgment you're not ready for this, Curie. I hope you'll prove me wrong." To which Curie replies: "I am the top of the line of RobCo technology. I assure you I am capable of this." (Synth) "In my judgment you're not ready for this, Curie. I hope you'll prove me wrong." To which Curie replies: "I have survived centuries more than you, monsieur."
- Codsworth: "Ah, Miss Curie. Never was there a more suitable replacement." To which Curie replies: "So gracious of you, Monsieur Codsworth. Until we meet again."
- Piper: "Have fun you two. Don't pick any fights I wouldn't." To which Curie replies: "Well I hope to not have to pick any at all."
- Danse: "Being replaced by a machine... embarrassing." To which Curie replies: "There's no need to be embarrassed, we merely posses different skills."
- Strong: "When metal man is smashed, come find Strong." To which Curie replies: "Don't worry, Monsieur Strong. I don't rust so easily."
- Nick Valentine: "You two watch yourselves out there." To which Curie replies: "Oh monsieur. We do not watch. We observe."
Curie appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
Curie is named after Marie Skłodowska Curie, the physicist and chemist who discovered radioactivity. Curie will acknowledge this when starting Emergent Behavior.
- xboxone ps4 fo4aut On occasion Curie, if she has been turned into a synth already, will still be accessible in the Robot workbench. If selected this will revert her back into a robot.[verification needed]
- pc ps4 Sometimes Curie will unequip any weapon she had and fight with her bare fists. When this happens she may loot bodies for weapons.[verified]
- Workaround: Switch to another follower then switch back to her.
- pc fo4aut If Curie is modified using the robot workbench and the player does the quest "Emergent Behavior" Curie will revert back to her Miss Nanny self and all modifications will be lost. [verified]
- pc xboxone ps4 Sometimes Curie will not go to location specified when dismissed and will not return to original location, known locations, settlements, or any other feasible location, and as such simply disappears, even after sleep/resting for several in game days.[verified]
- xboxone pc ps4 Upon dismissal Curie will reappear outside the medical room in Vault 81, regardless of where she is dismissed, even if dismissed to Sanctuary while in Sanctuary, she will immediately sprint toward Vault 81. [verified]
- Workaround: Reload an earlier save file and don't give the cure to Dr. Forsythe at the end of the "Hole in the Wall" quest until after speaking to Curie inside the doctor's clinic. She won't actually enter the room herself so you have to get behind Curie and push her into the clinic, she will then initiate the proper dialogue to become a companion and will stay at the players chosen settlement. Alternatively, resetquest comcurie followed by setstage comcurie 83 will trigger the join companion dialogue, after which Curie can be moved as required.
- A romanced Curie will not be upset by the Sole Survivor flirting with Preston Garvey in front of her.[verified][platforms tag needed]
- pc ps4 Sometimes, if she is transferred into synth body, she will have a smoking animation while idle with no weapon equipped. The animation may be normal and may normally stop after she equips the weapon, but is still out of character, though technically synths can smoke.[verified]
- pc ps4 Curie will dislike the player character for entering Covenant for the first time, regardless of whatever the player character says during the SAFE test.[verified]
- pc Curie will not have any dialog when asked how the relationship with the player is going if the player did not romance her.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone Curie's arm will sometimes get stuck in a pointing downwards position through the floor, resulting in her shooting her laser into the ground in combat. The only fix appears to be travelling to a different location. [verified]
- pc Curie's perception and intelligence stats will each be with 1 higher then the value that they are set to. In-game she has 5 perception; if you set the value to 8, she will have 9 perception.[verified]
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.