Stays sharp & will last a lifetime!”— Cosmic knife ad
Made from a "space age" Saturnite alloy in the Big Mountain Research and Development Center, cosmic knives were advertised to be super-sharp, all-purpose kitchen knives that wouldn't chip or dull. A surplus of these knives were shipped to the Sierra Madre casino kitchens in preparation for the Gala Event. Though lightweight and durable, they proved to be too sharp for their own good, able to cut a person's thumb off if they were careless, and even slice through cutting boards with no effort. Concerns were raised about the safety and necessity of having so many of these knives lying about, but Frederick Sinclair insisted that only the best equipment be used.
They were also found to have incredible heat retention, able to stay super-hot for hours after being heated over a stove. However, they are much more brittle when heated, and if left on an uninsulated surface, they would melt right through.
Following the Great War and prior to the events of Dead Money, many of these knives found their way into the hands of the ghost people who stalk the streets of the Villa, who use them as weapons against any unfortunate visitors.
Compared to the regular kitchen knife, the cosmic knife is longer, stained red with cloud residue, and does more damage. Using Abraxo cleaner, one can turn it into a clean cosmic knife. They glow purple before they are cleaned, most likely due to years of cloud exposure. The name "cosmic knife" is a brand name only, referring to the "space-age" Saturnite material it's made of, and not because it originates from outer space.
It is possible to execute Back Slash outside of V.A.T.S. (without the required Melee skill of 50 to perform the move) by initiating a power attack (hold attack button) while moving forward.
The cosmic knife can successfully strike about 745 times from full condition before breaking.
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Bonus effects||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
|Cosmic knife fnvdm||12||36||x1.5 limb damage||3||x1||12||20||1.2||745||1||35||35||0||1|
|Cosmic knife clean fnvdm||15||45||x3 limb damage||3||x1.2||15||20||1.5||995||1||50||50||0||1|
|Cosmic knife super-heated fnvdm||14||42||x1.7 limb damage||3||x5||14||20||1.4||745||1||50||50||0||1|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
- 1 can be found stabbed into a Cutting board in the Villa Police Station.
- 1 can be found stabbed into a bed next to an assassins suit in the Sierra Madre Medical Clinic.
- There are 3 to 4 on worktops in the Kitchen in the Sierra Madre Casino.
- Many can be found in desks in the rooms on the top floor of the Sierra Madre Medical Clinic.
- 1 can be found in the kitchen of the Executive Suites in the Sierra Madre Casino.
- 1 can be found right next to the exit from the Villa to the Mojave, next to 1 Sierra Madre Chip.
- 1 can be found in the eastern part of the Villa. It is located in the Gift shop on a display rack next to a cosmic knife advertisement.
- 1 can be found in a cafe with a radio in Salida del Sol Courtyard next to a cutting board.
- 2 can be found in Cantina Madrid on or next to a cutting board.
- Despite being developed at Big MT, there aren't any found there.
- It was used to cut open hazmat suits that had their locks corroded by the red cloud in the Sierra Madre.