|Side Quest: Confidence Man|
|Speak with Travis at the Diamond City Radio station in Diamond City.|
|Speak with Vadim Bobrov in the Dugout Inn. Accept his quest, being offered caps if speech checks are successful.|
|Come back to the inn after 6:00 PM that day, or the next day if it is already past that time when the quest starts.|
|Speak with Travis in the inn and convince him to stand up to Gouger and Bull.|
|Help Travis win the bar fight.|
|Speak with Vadim.|
|Find and speak with Scarlett.|
|Return to the Dugout Inn and speak with Yefim Bobrov.|
|Go to the Diamond City Radio station and speak with Travis.|
|Go to Beantown Brewery.|
|Free Vadim and speak with him and Travis.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
Up to 300 caps
Travis is more confident on Diamond City Radio.
To start this quest, speak with Travis Miles at the Diamond City Radio station in Diamond City. After talking to Travis, the player will have to wait until an NPC, such as a Diamond City security officer speaks in passing about Vadim Bobrov looking for someone to help him regarding Travis at the Dugout Inn before the quest will trigger.
It is also possible to start the quest by simply entering the inn for the first time, and overhearing Vadim telling a story to a man named Hawthorne. After this conversation, the quest will trigger by leaving and re-entering the bar then talking to Vadim.
Vadim will ask what you think of Diamond City Radio's host, Travis. Regardless of the chosen response, the conversation ends with Vadim stating that Travis could use some confidence to improve his radio show, then asking the Sole Survivor if they want to help. When agreeing, Vadim can be pushed to offer caps through three speech checks of increasing difficulty and amount. Whether successfully persuaded or not, Vadim reveals he is going to stage a bar fight that night and requests that the player return after 6 p.m. to assist Travis in the fight.
Once at the bar, Travis will be seen making his way inside towards the bar counter where he is confronted by Gouger and Bull, two raiders Vadim hired for his staged fight. They begin to verbally harass Travis, who meekly replies, thus initiating the plan. At this point, the Sole Survivor can use Charisma to convince Travis to fight. One must help Travis fend off the two assailants using melee attacks to beat them into submission (using ranged weapons will turn all of the inn occupants hostile and Diamond City security will arrive). After the fight, speak with Travis, who is thrilled by what took place. Once he starts to leave, speak with Vadim.
If any speech checks were passed, Vadim will give the promised amount of caps as he thanks the Sole Survivor. His next plan is to hook Travis up with his bar waitress Scarlett, further wanting to ensure he successfully becomes confident. Find and speak with Scarlett in Diamond City, convincing her to meet and talk with Travis. Scarlett can be convinced that Travis does like her, or she can be paid to hook up with him. Once she agrees, return to the Dugout Inn.
Upon returning, Yefim Bobrov will inform the player that Vadim has been kidnapped by Gouger and Bull for not giving in to their demands of owed bottle caps for the services provided. He pleads for help, but doesn't know where they took Vadim, saying he needs to stay and that Travis should be spoken to. Go to Travis' radio headquarters and explain to him about what happened to Vadim. In the conversation, Travis will say that Vadim is probably at Beantown Brewery and requests to go with the Sole Survivor and assist.
Meet Travis outside of Beantown Brewery and speak with him before heading inside. The building is held down by a raider gang that needs to be eliminated in order to get to the room in which Vadim is being held and guarded by Tower Tom, the gang leader (unless he was defeated on a prior visit to the brewery). Once he and all surrounding members are dead, Travis and the Sole Survivor can enter to untie and free Vadim. Speak with him and then Travis, who now has a new outlook on life with all that's happened to him. With this change, he thanks the Sole Survivor, returning to his radio station with newfound confidence.
- Deacon, Danse, Curie, Preston and Piper like when the Sole Survivor tells Vadim it's a "horrible idea" when he asks about getting rid of Travis.
- X6-88 likes when you reply "sounds good" to Vadim asking about getting rid of Travis.
- MacCready, Cait, Strong, Deacon, Danse, X6-88 and Hancock like when the Sole Survivor says "Yes" to having been in a bar fight when asked by Vadim.
- Nick Valentine, Danse, Piper, Curie and Codsworth like it when the Sole Survivor says "No" to having been in a bar fight.
- MacCready dislikes it if one says anything comforting to Travis.
- Piper, Curie, Preston, Deacon and Nick like that the Sole Survivor has Travis' back in the bar fight.
- X6-88 will dislike that the Sole Survivor has Travis' back in the bar fight.
- MacCready, X6-88 and Strong will like when the Sole Survivor tells Travis to stop being a coward before the bar fight.
- Piper and Nick Valentine will dislike when the Sole Survivor tells Travis to stop being a coward before the bar fight.
- Piper, Preston and Valentine like it when the Sole Survivor tells Travis that the kidnapping of Vadim is not his fault.
- Cait, MacCready, X6-88 and Strong like the Sole Survivor blaming Travis for the kidnapping of Vadim.
- Danse, Deacon, Preston, Piper, Curie and Valentine like it when the Sole Survivor tells Travis to stay cool and not think about what's going to happen inside the brewery.
- X6-88 likes it when you reply to Travis that it is "Not likely" both of you will make it out of there alive.
- Cait, MacCready, Nick Valentine, Piper and X6-88 like it if you say "You're an idiot" to Vadim after untying him.
- Piper, Valentine, Preston and Deacon like it when you say "You're welcome" to Vadim after untying him.
- MacCready and X6-88 like it when you reply to Travis with "tired of you" after rescuing Vadim.
- Piper, Preston and Nick Valentine like it when you reply to Travis with "Good to hear" after rescuing Vadim.
- If the Sole Survivor tunes into the Diamond City Radio channel, they can still hear Travis speaking, even if he is in Dugout Inn or the Beantown Brewery.
- Travis can lose the fight, which will unlock extra dialogue.
- Gouger and Bull can be killed in the bar fight. If this happens, Vadim will be angry with the Survivor, and it will also change some dialogue with him after the fight, but not the quest itself or the rewards. When kidnapped, instead of it being them that take him, it will be raider friends of theirs.
- If you directly go to Beantown Brewery after Vadim's kidnapping without asking Travis, Travis will be found inside. A funny scene will start where Travis and you can ask each other how they knew Vadim was here.
- For PC players wishing to reset Travis' radio announcements back to their pre-quest state after the quest has been completed, it can be accomplished using the following series of console commands: ResetQuest ms14, then set radiodctravisconfident to 0.
- pc ps4 xboxone There is a glitch that causes both Gouger and Bull to be set to essential, making the quest impossible to complete without the use of console commands. [verified]
- Two possible fixes are detailed here and here.
- This bug can also be resolved on the console version of the game or without using console commands by loading a save file that is from a point before the player speaks to Travis to initiate the bar fight. The player must then go to Beantown Brewery (without talking to Travis) and kill Gouger and Bull who will now be killable. The player can then continue the quest as normal.
- Additionally, reloading a save from before the "Meet Travis at Beantown Brewery" objective and entering the brewery without activating his dialogue may resolve this bug.
- One cause of this glitch is the dialogue with Travis before the fight can cause your companion to like you and request to talk with you. If you start/finish the fight before finishing the talk with your companion the glitch occurs.
- pc The easiest way to deal with this bug is before it becomes a problem. After the fight in the bar, as Gouger and Bull start to leave, enter the following console commands which allows them to be killed: setessential 00043389 0, setessential 000ED665 0.
- This bug has been reported as fixed in patch 1.2. However, if this glitch is still encountered, simply load a save prior to talking to Travis and exit the Dugout Inn. Once you re-enter Gouger and Bull should be non-essential again.
- pc ps4 The player can also reload a save prior to entering Bean Town Brewery when prompted to meet Travis before entering. If the player bypasses interacting with Travis, engages no enemies, and rushes to engage Gouger and Bull, they are not represented as essential, and the quest can be completed regularly.
- xboxone ps4 If you fail to talk with Travis after freeing Vadim, and he leaves the Brewery with Vadim, you may not be able to complete and close the mission. The map will show them at a location but they won't be there or the location won't be reachable. [verified]
- ps4 pc Even after finishing the quest, Travis might still talk on the radio as if the quest was never completed. [verified]
- pc This bug can be fixed by entering the console command set radiodctravisconfident to 1.
- pc Sometimes when entering the Dugout Inn, the quest will automatically activate without encountering the conversation between the brothers about Travis. [verified]
- To fix this, load a save from entry to the Dugout Inn. When entering again, this time the conversation should start when upon walking up to the brothers talking at the bar.
- pc If the conversation about the plan with Vadim in the back room is exited without finishing it, Vadim goes back to his standard behavior while being addressed. [verified]
- To restart the conversation, exit the Dugout Inn, then re-enter. When you go back to the back room, he will restart the conversation.