While using a rifle (or similar two-handed weapon), your accuracy in V.A.T.S. is significantly increased.”— In-game description, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
Rigorous combat training means automatic weapons do 20% more damage.”— In-game description, Fallout 4
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New VegasEdit
In Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, the perk increases your chance to hit in V.A.T.S. by 25%. This bonus is multiplicative, not additive.
Affected weapons in Fallout 3Edit
Affected weapons in Fallout: New VegasEdit
- Anti-materiel rifle
- 12.7mm submachine gun
- Assault carbine
- Marksman carbine
- Cowboy repeater
- La Longue Carabine
- Hunting rifle
- This Machine
- Laser RCW
- Laser rifle
- Tri-beam laser rifle
- AER14 prototype
- Plasma rifle
- Multiplas rifle
- Q-35 matter modulator
- Gauss rifle
- Recharger rifle
- Caravan shotgun
- Hunting shotgun
- Dinner Bell
- Single shotgun
- Riot shotgun
- Sniper rifle
- Gobi Campaign scout rifle
- Light machine gun
- Service rifle
- Survivalist's rifle
- Grenade rifle
- .45 Auto submachine gun
- Trail carbine (Needs verification)
Rigorous combat training means automatic weapons do 20% more damage”— Rank 1 description
|1||AGI 2||Rigorous combat training means automatic weapons do 20% more damage||0004a0c5|
|2||AGI 2, LVL 11||Attacks with automatic weapons do 40% more damage, with improved hip fire accuracy.||0004a0c6|
|3||AGI 2, LVL 21||Attacks with automatic weapons do 60% more damage. Hip fire accuracy is improved even more.||0004a0c7|
|4||AGI 2, LVL 35||Attacks with automatic weapons do 80% more damage and gain a chance to stagger opponents.||0006fa24|
|5||AGI 2, LVL 49||Your automatic weapons now do double damage and have a greater chance to stagger opponents.||00065e0d|
Ranks 2 and 3 each add 10% hip-fire accuracy, for +20% total. Rank 4 gives a 4% chance to stagger a target. Rank 5 increases this to a 6% chance.
Affected weapons in Fallout 4Edit
- 10mm auto pistol
- Automatic pipe gun
- Submachine gun
- Automatic assault rifle
- Automatic combat rifle
- Automatic combat shotgun
- Automatic railway rifle
- Automatic laser gun
- Automatic plasma gun
- Automatic Institute laser
- Automatic Gamma gun
- Automatic Tesla rifle Automatron_(add-on)
In general, Commando affects any automatic pistol or automatic rifle, but, despite its wording, does not affect automatic heavy weapons. There are also exceptions - for example, a pistol-gripped plasma thrower is automatic, but is affected by Gunslinger, not Commando.
- In Fallout 3, this perk affects all two-handed Small Guns and Energy Weapons. It does not affect any other types of weapons, including all Big Guns.
- Because it is a multiplicative bonus, it effectively negates the penalty of the Fast Shot trait in Fallout: New Vegas when using two-handed weapons (1.25 x 0.8 = 1).
- The above lists are not comprehensive. In Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, the perk does not use a list of weapons to apply the bonus, it simply looks to see if the animation type used in VATS is either that of a 2 handed rifle or 2 handed automatic weapon. If it is, it gets the perk bonus.
- In Fallout 4 it seems any weapon with an automatic receiver receives benefits from "commando perk", so if you turn a pistol into an automatic pistol then it will get the benefits of the perk and lose the benefits from the Gunslinger perk.
- The rifle in perk image of Fallout 4 is Assault rifle (Fallout 3), which does not appear in Fallout 4.