| ||For an overview of combat armor variants in all games, as well as background information, see combat armor.|
First created in 2051, the military-grade combat armor was designed to protect key sections of the human body from ballistic trauma with hard armored plates made from complex polymers and ceramics, with a flexible body suit interwoven with thermal-dissipative membranes and bulletproof material. The earliest models of the combat armor were manufactured as specific plates mounted on combat webbing, although as the technology improved, body-enclosing suits of armor were created and entered active combat duty, though in limited quantities. The armor came with a matte-finish olive drab coloring by default, making it suitable for woodland and/or urban camouflage. Prior to the Great War, combat armor was nearly exclusively the property of military forces and special police units. Currently-available historical documentation shows users only in the North American continent, but allied nations were likely to posses identical or similar systems. Combat armor was the de facto armor of the United States military, issued to all combat soldiers not in the powered armor units. Additionally, at least one Canadian partisan was caught on camera wearing a suit of combat armor.
Civilian ownership of combat armor was highly restricted. A special permit was required from the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers for private ownership of the combat armor (though it was marketed to US citizens without mentioning this fact).
Combat armor is among the best forms of protection in the post-War Capital Wasteland. It has the fifth highest DR for non-power armors, only lower than Ranger battle armor, Lag-Bolt's combat armor (only available with Broken Steel), metal armor, and Metal Master armor. It is fairly useful for early to mid-level characters, as it can probably be acquired before the Ranger Armor, and doesn't have the penalty to Agility that metal armor has.
Unlike the reinforced variants common on the West Coast, all the combat armor available in the Capital Wasteland is short-sleeved, having only the shoulder pads and chestplates covering the torso, as well as the forearm guards. The combat helmet's shaded visor is also absent. The winterized combat armor variant used in the DLC looks the most like combat armor present in earlier Fallout titles, except for the snow-appropriate camouflage pattern and face-covering balaclava.
The helmet is olive drab colored and its shape resembles the current day PASGT kevlar helmets. The picture shown in the Pip-Boy is also very similar to the German Stahlhelm. Unlike its predecessor from Fallout and Fallout 2, the helmet does not have the glass cover over the eyes, although it can be worn with normal eyewear like eyeglasses.
- Ranger battle armor
- Rivet City security uniform
- Talon combat armor
- Tenpenny security uniform
- Lag-Bolt's combat armor Broken Steel
- Winterized combat armor Operation: Anchorage (add-on)
- Winterized medic armor Mothership Zeta (add-on)
- Ranger battle helmet
- Rivet City security helmet
- Talon combat helmet
- Winterized combat helmet Operation: Anchorage (add-on)
- Winterized medic helmet Mothership Zeta (add-on)
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Shellshocked combat armor (identical with standard combat armor) base id: 000cb5ef.
- Shellshocked combat helmet (identical with standard combat helmet) base id: 000cb5f0.
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
- Two combat armors in poor condition can be found in the National Guard depot armory.
- Can be bought from Crow.
- Can be bought from Seagrave Holmes.
- One can be found in the Anchorage Memorial.
- 4 suits can be found in the Rivet City Armory.
- Several suits can be bought from Moira Brown.
- Can be bought from Tulip in Underworld.
- Can be bought from Michael Masters in Tenpenny Tower.
- Several suits can be found in various locations on Mothership Zeta .
- One is found in poor condition on the Drifter in Dickerson Tabernacle chapel.