| ||For an overview of combat armor variants in all games, as well as background information, see combat armor.|
Combat armor, reinforced mark 2
Combat helmet, reinforced mark 2
Prior to the Great War, combat armor was nearly exclusively the property of military forces and special police units. Currently-available historical documentation shows users only in the North American continent, but allied nations were likely to posses identical or similar systems. Combat armor was the de facto armor of the United States military, issued to all combat soldiers not in the powered armor units. Additionally, at least one Canadian partisan was caught on camera wearing a suit of combat armor.
Civilian ownership of combat armor was highly restricted. A special permit was required from the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers for private ownership of the combat armor (though it was marketed to US citizens without mentioning this fact).
This particular suit is a new version of combat armor, designed to replace the regular reinforced combat armor, this high tech suit was created as a heavier, more protective armor reserved for use by American shock troops and special forces.
This armor provides the same level of protection that is offered by NCR Ranger combat armor but can actually be purchased from vendors. It appears to have much thicker armor plates than regular reinforced combat armor that not only completely cover the torso, shoulders, knees and lower legs but has forearm guards along with several pouches located along the upper thighs and waist.
The helmet is a ballistic assembly, designed to protect the wearer from projectile and energy weapon impacts, bladed weapons, blunt trauma, and concussion. An integrated polarized visor protects the user's eyes from the ordinary battlefield hazards of grit and dust, but also laser blindness and fragments. It is similar in appearance to the helmet used with the combat armor, reinforced suit but is a different color. Helmets also incorporate a combination camera/laser rangefinder unit built into the helmet's right side, just above the ear. Those suits of combat armor surviving in the wasteland still have the housing for that equipment, but no suit has been documented as having working hardware.
While being even more expensive than reinforced combat armor, it provides more protection than standard combat armor. 20 DT as opposed to 15 DT for standard combat armor or 17 DT for reinforced combat armor.
- Camp McCarran - can be bought from Daniel Contreras.
- Gun Runners - the armor can be purchased from the Vendortron.
- Hidden Valley bunker - can be bought from Torres.
- Mercenary camp - one can be found on the mercenary holding the YCS/186 Gauss rifle, north of Horowitz Farmstead. He may, however, have the Mark 1 reinforced armor instead. (non-Wild Wasteland only)
- Remnants Bunker - two can be found in an armor locker.
- The armor can be found in a duffle bag at an abandoned campsite east of Ranger Station Foxtrot and west of Brewer's beer bootlegging. Players should be armed to deal with the cazadors that usually swarm the campsite. Follow the trail up to and past Brewer's beer bootlegging into the hills behind the Brewer's Bootlegging shack. The campsite is located between Brewer's and Foxtrot, and is identified by bones strewn about and by a corpse sliced in half. The duffle bag is laying next to a rock pile.
- Crimson Caravan - can be bought from Blake.