I want you to teach everyone you meet the lesson Caesar's Legion taught here.”— Vulpes Inculta
|Side Quest: Cold, Cold Heart|
|Spread the news of the Legion's attack on Nipton by telling any named member of the NCR.|
|Reward: 150 XP and Caesar's Legion fame (optional).|
If you happen to wander upon the town of Nipton, a man will approach you and happily inform you that he has won the lottery. If you continue to make your way through the rubble, you will find that the Powder gangers who once took this town have now suffered the fate of crucifixion. As you move further toward the town center you will notice Caesar's Legion members near the double doors of the town hall. When you approach, the highest ranked member, Vulpes Inculta comes toward you and engages you in conversation. He tells you that he will not have you lashed to a cross like the rest of the degenerates. He wants you to memorize what you've seen in the town, then travel to the Mojave Outpost and let "the Profligates" know "the little sermon" he prepared here. You can continue the conversation but he eventually waves you away to teach what you've learned.
Spread the Word of Legion Atrocities
Travel west to the highway intersection, then southwest, following the highway up the hill to Mojave Outpost. Two large statues of Rangers shaking hands can be seen from a good distance. Sgt. Kilborn walks around outside and occasionally paths past the statues out of range of the rest of the outpost. When speaking to him, you may either inform him of Nipton's destruction or you may choose to shout a Legion battle-cry and attack him. Either choice completes the quest, resulting in 150XP. No reputation is gained or lost either way.
- Note: Selecting the attack choice in the dialogue may turn the rest of the outpost hostile if Kilborn is not far enough away from them. As long as he is near or past the Ranger statues, it should be safe to kill him. Also worth noting, if you select the attack option while wearing NCR faction armor, Kilborn will not attack you and the quest will complete normally.
- Note: You will fail the quest if Vulpes dies.
- Doing The Finger of Suspicion first, skipping this when further in the story line makes this quest unattainable as Vulpes Inculta will be with Caesar in his tent not in Nipton.
- It is possible to use a suppressed varmint/sniper rifle from in the trailer park to kill all Legionaries EXCEPT Vulpes and still complete the quest. (This may not result in reputation loss with Legion).
- If you have Boone in the party he will attack the Legionaries preventing the conversation with Vulpes.
- If you ask Vulpes about why the town was burned and then say that you admire the purity of the Legion's actions, then you will gain Legion fame.
- If you try to follow Vulpes he will first lead you into a bark scorpion nest, then a Viper ambush, it is unwise to follow him as doing so may result in him getting killed by the Viper gang. The legionaries will run away from the fight and once far enough away they will act normally, until rejoining the fight. The Legionaries will never fight, only run, and Vulpes is the only one who fights. Him and two legion mongrels will fight and die, a good way to get his armor and fail this quest.
Behind the scenes
- The title of this quest is from the song Cold, Cold Heart by Hank Williams.