The exterior of the clifftop shacks consists of two shacks which can be entered by doors located on the front of the two buildings, as well as a run-down, outside shack with falling walls, a slanted ceiling, rubble littering the floor, and a captive wastelander who can be rescued for a small reward. There are 4-5 super mutants, ranging from regular mutants to dangerous super mutant overlords depending on the Lone Wanderer's level, occupying the area as well as 1-2 centaurs, also dependent on the Lone Wanderer's level. The clifftops can be accessed by a dirt hill semi-protected with rubble walls that is behind the abandoned shack on the right in the scenery picture.
The northeastern shack is a single-roomed, abandoned shack and can be accessed by a front door on the outside of the building. The shack has a usable bed, with a safe hidden underneath it.
The southwestern shack is a two-roomed building and can be accessed by a front door on the outside of the building. It contains a captive wastelander, a super mutant, a captive corpse, and a raider corpse.
- Board of Education in the hands of a skeleton on the bed.
- A pre-War book on the nightstand.
- Grognak the Barbarian on the middle shelf of the last metal shelving to the right upon entering.
- Pugilism Illustrated on the shelf in the room to the left.
- There are two random encounter triggers that occur near the bottom of the bridge going up, and a puddle next to the cliffs.
- Loading a saved game or fast traveling can cause a group of mutants to spawn, which may include a super mutant overlord (with the Broken Steel add-on) armed with a Gatling laser on higher level.
- Sometimes, when using V.A.T.S. from a distance to highlight the captive, the game may not load the super mutants to the area.
Clifftop shacks appears only in Fallout 3.