Fallout 3 locations project
We arrived here in '55. Established ourselves in the Citadel within the first few months. The Elder has kept us busy since then.”— Scribe Rothchild
The Citadel is the heavily defended headquarters of the Brotherhood of Steel in the Capital Wasteland in 2277. It is built into, and beneath the ruins of the Pentagon, the pre-war headquarters of the U.S. military. Located on the west end of Arlington Memorial Bridge, northeast of Arlington Library, it initially consists of four interior sections.
The ruling council of the Brotherhood of Steel, based in the Lost Hills bunker in Southern California, decided to send a contingent of soldiers to the East Coast, to recover any and all advanced technology from Washington, D.C., and The Pitt as well as to investigate the reports of super mutant activity.
The Pentagon, as feared, was largely destroyed. However, its sub-levels remained intact and contained enough pre-War technology and weaponry to keep Brotherhood forces going indefinitely. But there was something else as well, Liberty Prime - a technological marvel that if restored could help the Brotherhood rebuild a strength and reputation that had been declining steadily for years.
The discovery was significant enough to earn Paladin Owyn Lyons a battlefield promotion to Elder, and a new directive from his superiors – to establish a new, permanent Brotherhood base in the Capital Wasteland and continue the search for any other advanced technology hidden in the capitol's ruins.
Lyons accepted his new post gladly and founded the Citadel, built into and beneath the ruins of the Pentagon. It was a fortress the Brotherhood of Steel desperately needed, and one they rushed to fortify.
The Citadel is a large fortress with walls of stone and steel. It retains its shape which gave it its name the "Pentagon" and has only a single entrance, a large metal gate usually guarded by multiple paladins and one sentry bot (After the water purifier is completed and operational these guards no longer appear.) A small corridor leads from the main gate to a door which provides access to the inner bailey.
The inside is inaccessible until you complete The Waters of Life segment of the main quest. Entry is scripted as part of the completion of this quest. Before then, the guard commander Paladin Bael will gruffly deny you entry.
The fairly large bailey serves as a training and sparring area. Under the command of Paladin Gunny, new recruits practice various skills from unarmed combat to firearm usage. To this end, the bailey contains shooting ranges and other installations for combat practice. A large hatch in the middle of the courtyard connects to the Laboratory, although it cannot be used as an entrance by the player. The Laboratory and A Ring, sections of the buildings which surround the yard, can be accessed through doors opposite and next to the main entrance. There are several beds here for the player and initiates to use.
Citadel - A Ring
The A Ring is a small sector within the Citadel which can be accessed directly from the bailey. The entrance is on the right when you enter the Citadel.
The A Ring contains the Lyon's Den, the Great Hall, the Library and entrances to B Ring as well as Citadel Laboratory. The Lyon's Den is the quarters of Lyons' Pride while the Great Hall serves as a briefing room for high-ranking Brotherhood members and the Pride. This is where the Pride gathers and wait for new action orders.
In the library you can find the Vault-Tec terminal you need to consult as part of Picking up the Trail. Another terminal reveals some background information on the Maxson family and various tidbits of information about the history of the Brotherhood. Another terminal contains information on a UFO that crashed shortly before the war and a plan to send super mutants to China but it is obvious that after the bombs fell the super mutants escaped and spread across post-apocalyptic America.
Citadel - B Ring
The B Ring is another section within the Citadel which can only be reached from the A Ring via two doors in the back. It consists mostly of sleeping quarters for all Brotherhood of Steel members as well as a medical bay and the private quarters of Owyn Lyons and Arthur Maxson. Owyn Lyons' unique laser pistol is in his safe in his private quarters.
Squire Maxson's room contains a hackable terminal in which, among various children's stories and other personal entries, you can find the location of a Guns and Bullets magazine under the bed in the Lyon's Den (A Ring).
Citadel - Laboratory
The laboratory is the third sector of the Citadel, connected to both the bailey and the A Ring. It spans two levels and consists of the main working area, the armory and sleeping quarters for the Scribes. Various terminals with technical background information on weaponry are scattered all over the place.
The lab is naturally the working place for most of the Scribes, save those of the Order of the Quill. While they are conducting research on various fields such as threat assessment, weaponry and defensive technologies, their main focus is the work on Liberty Prime, a gargantuan pre-War robot and the main reason the Citadel base was established.
Scribe Rothchild, who is part of various main quests, is usually to be found in the area just in front of the robot, on the bottom level. In the vicinity of the robot dock there's also a terminal with progress information on the work on Liberty Prime which allows you to run a sound check.
On the wall at the bottom level there is a digital map display from which you can extrapolate the location of the Vault-Tec Vaults in the Capital Wasteland if you have not already found them. After Scribe Rothchild has used it to show you the location of Vault 87, the map markers will automatically be added to your Pip-Boy 3000.
Graphical error between location of Vault 108 between Pip-boy 3000 and vault map on wall. The wall map shows it north of Canterbury Commons and Pipboy shows it south of Canterbury Commons.
The armory is located in an extra room on the bottom level and is run by Knight Captain Durga. She will only trade with you if you have Elder Lyons' permission which is easily obtained.
If you chose to destroy the Citadel in Who Dares Wins, you will find a door leading to the armory within the crater, and one on the far side of the circular path around the crater. This section is not to be confused with the regular armory located in the laboratory.
- Elder Owyn Lyons
- Knight Artemis
- Knight Captain Colvin
- Knight Captain Durga
- Knight Captain Dusk
- Knight Captain Gallows
- Paladin Bael
- Paladin Glade
- Paladin Gunny
- Paladin Kodiak
- Paladin Tristan ¹ Broken Steel
- Paladin Vargas
- Scribe Bowditch
- Scribe Jameson
- Scribe Peabody
- Scribe Rothchild
- Scribe Vallincourt Broken Steel
- Sentinel Sarah Lyons
- Squire Arthur Maxson
- Star Paladin Cross
- ¹ After the quest Death From Above
- A Duck and Cover! book in a crate in one of the stalls in the bathroom of the Citadel Lab.
- A Guns and Bullets book under the rightmost bed in A Ring's "The Den" area.
- Smuggler's End, Elder Lyon's unique AEP7 laser pistol, can be found in his safe in B Ring's "The Solar" area. A Lockpick skill of 100 is required to open the safe. Occasionally it may be taken from the safe by non-player characters, in which case it must be either pick pocketed normally or reverse-pick pocketed.
- 2 Tesla cannons in the Citadel Lab. Broken Steel
- 2 Tesla cannons in the Citadel Armory. Broken Steel
- Callahan's magnum in a safe in the Citadel Armory, only obtainable if the player takes a certain course of action in Broken Steel. Broken Steel
- 3 mini nukes in the Citadel Armory. Broken Steel
- 72 alien power cells in the Citadel Armory. Broken Steel
- Hundreds of bottles of aqua pura in the courtyard and many other areas. Broken Steel
- With the Broken Steel add-on, The Citadel can be targeted by the orbital missile platform controlled by the terminal in the Adams Air Force Base at the end of the quest Who Dares Wins. This destroys both the Air Force Base and the Citadel, revealing some helpful supplies beneath the ruins
- With the Broken Steel add-on, a super mutant overlord may spawn by the south side of the Citadel, accompanied by other assorted mutants. Two Brotherhood Paladins will also spawn with them in the sniper nests.
- The sentry bot outside the gates will also respawn if destroyed.
- After getting special permission from Elder Lyons you can receive Power Armor Training by talking to Paladin Gunny.
- Geographical error: If you enter the labs directly (missing out the A Ring) from the far side of the bailey, the door you enter through leads straight down into the lab. However as you find out during the final mission, Liberty Prime is raised through the very center of the courtyard, implying the lab is directly below it. It is worth noting that the door from the bailey is a double door while the door in the Lab is a single door, an obvious design error. (This could be explained if there is actually a staircase the player uses, although not to the players knowledge, and it would explain the lab being directly under the Bailey).
- The Brotherhood will not be hostile toward Fawkes, despite their mission to destroy super mutants. They will attack him however if he is fired by the player.
- In the ring area in the courtyard where two initiates may be fighting, you can stand in the middle of them and be hit by their punches with no ill effects, as the punches are scripted to deal 0 damage. [verification overdue]
- Initiates on line in the courtyard do push-ups at seemingly random intervals of their own volition.
- If the Citadel is viewed from the outside, there is a notably tall construction crane, however, with the exception of the mission Take It Back!, there is no construction crane if viewed from the Bailey.
The Citadel appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- "The Citadel" was the original name of the Cathedral of Fallout in early design documents (like the Vault 13: A GURPS Post-Nuclear Adventure timeline).
- ps3 xbox360 There are at least two Brotherhood of Steel initiates using the firing range, and one is firing a laser rifle. Nobody will become hostile if you shoot the laser rifle out of his hands, and he will start throwing frag grenades at the target. Many of his throws will either be off target or ricochet in various directions, causing numerous casualties among the nearby Brotherhood of Steel. When attempting this by using V.A.T.S., it is possible that if targeting the "weapon" too many times, the Initiate will take out a grenade almost instantaneously after the rifle is shot. If this happens you may accidentally shoot the grenade and kill the Initiate and anybody close.
- xbox360 ps3 The radio in the bailey will continue to play GNR as if Three Dog is still alive after the player has killed him.
- xbox360 ps3 pc It is possible to gain access to the Citadel as early as level 2 through a nearby hole south of the Citadel. The player can then speak to Paladin Gunny and receive Power Armor Training.
- ps3 It is possible for Angela Staley to spawn outside the Citadel upon fast traveling. She is capable of all her dialogue options as if she was in Rivet City. She immediately begins walking back to Rivet City, but can be spoken to.
- You cannot get in the Citadel at the main entrance and even if you talk to the people outside they will not let you in the game automatically freezes you are aloud to move any where in the Capital Wasteland and go in any building except for the Citadel.[platforms tag needed]