Cats are a species of small predatory carnivorous animals that were valued by humans before the Great War for their companionship and ability to hunt vermin, such as rodents, snakes, scorpions, and other household pests.
After the Great War, many cats in what used to be the United States were hunted for food because they were an easy prey until few domestic specimens were left, although some still survive as witnessed in the Commonwealth.
Some cats were possibly thrown into the FEV vats by the Master in the Mariposa Military Base and the Vault-Tec scientists in Vault 87, together with humans, dogs and other animals. The misshapen centaurs are the result of this mix.
- 2-3 cats can be found in Catherine's room in Sandy Coves Convalescent Home
- A cat named Toro can be found in Diamond City.
- A cat called Emmett can be found next to Proctor Quinlan's desk on the Prydwen in Fallout 4.
- Several house cats can be found directly south of Gorski cabin, along with a Trader selling cat meat.
- There are a large number of cats in the Hawthorne House in The Stands of Diamond City.
- Stacy, a resident of the Den in 2241, used to have a cat called Cuddles as a child that was killed for food.
- A cat can be seen in the slideshow in the sacrificial chamber in Vault 11.
- Dora can be found in the town of Covenant.
- A small pack of four to five house cats can be found at a small settlement just East of Walden Pond.
- A cat can be found in a trailer on the freeway due East from South Boston military checkpoint.
- There is a cat named Maisie lounging around the house entrance of Abernathy farm.
- There is a cat near the trader's shack, west of the Ranger cabin.
- There's a single cat in Church of the Cat in front of a cat altar.
- Inside Vault 81, there is a cat called Ashes
- A gray cat can be found in the shop, Mean Pastries, in the vicinity of Pickman Gallery.
- There is a house cat in the cottage near Pickman Gallery.
|The following is based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Rumor is that the last known living cat in America, Mr. Pussy, died in Carbon, Texas in 2208. Ruby the prostitute wanted to find him when he got lost, and asked the Initiate to help. They discovered the cat's corpse in the Carbon Crater and brought it back to Ruby.
|End of information based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.|
|The following is based on Van Buren and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- According to the Nursery design document cats both wild and domestic were to make an appearance there.
|End of information based on Van Buren.|
- If you use the perk Animal Friend on a cat and attack or get caught stealing from a settlement, all settlers will attack the cat as though it is a threat, though it is not combat enabled.
- With the Wasteland Workshop add-on, a cat can be captured in any settlement via a cat cage. Once released, it will add 10 bonus happiness points to the settlement (as much as some tier 1-2 stores). A beta wave emitter is not necessary to tame them.
- Fallout 4 is the first canon game in the series in which cats are actually seen alive. (Fallout Shelter being non-canon.)