The maximum amount of equipment your character can carry, in pounds.”— in-game description, Fallout
Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout TacticsEdit
Your character will become slower as more weight is put on. When your character reaches the maximum weight, he or she becomes completely weighed down and cannot move until the weight is back under control.
Example: A starting Strength of 5.
- The Pack Rat perk increases carry weight by 50.
- The Strong Back perk increases carry weight by 50 per rank.
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New VegasEdit
Movement speed is unaffected by your character's Carry Weight until the weight of items carried exceeds your total carry weight, at which point your character will become overencumbered and unable to run, jump, or fast travel, with the exception of the Long Haul perk in New Vegas.
Example: A starting Strength of 5.
- Every added point of Strength increases your weight limit by 10 lbs.
- The maximum initial level is capped at 250 lbs without the addition of extra perks.
- The Strong Back perk increases the limit by 50 lbs.
- The Burden to Bear perk can increase this limit by another 50 lbs.
- The Hoarder trait increases the limit by 25 lbs.
- The NCR Courier duster increases carry weight by another 25 lbs.
- Buffout can temporarily increase this limit by another 20 lbs per dose, provided that you have 8 or less Strength points.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, the maximum amount of weight you can carry is 400 lbs.
- Using the console command "player.modav" carry weight can be increased to a max of 20,106 lbs.
- If you have the Long Haul perk in New Vegas, you can still fast-travel while over-encumbered.
- More information about weight and how to manage it is on the Weight article.
Largely similar to Fallout 3, movement speed is unaffected by carry weight unless overencumbered, and are unable to run or fast travel. However, unlike past games, it is possible to jump.
Game settings for carrying capacity:
- fAVDCarryWeightBase = 200
- fAVDCarryWeightMult = 10
- Strong Back increases carrying capacity by up to 50, and also counteracts some of the deficits of being overencumbered by offering the ability to run normally or even fast travel.
- Lone Wanderer increases carrying capacity when not traveling with a companion (except Dogmeat).
- Buffout and X-cell temporarily increase Strength by 2, giving 20 extra carry weight.
- Any armor with the Fortifying modifier will increase Strength by 1, giving 10 additional carry weight.
- Armor with the Pocketed misc mod adds 5 carry weight when equipped.
- Chest Armor with the Pocketed misc adds 10 carry weight instead
- Armor with the Deep pocketed misc mod adds 10 carry weight when equipped.
- Chest Armor with the Deep pocketed misc adds 20 carry weight instead
- As of patch 1.5, the base Carry Weight in Survival mode is reduced to 75 lbs.
pc As of patch 1.6 companions may occasionally arbitrarily gain a much higher carry weight than they would be capable of under any other circumstances. Triggering this can be as simple as repeatedly engaging a trade with the companion, taking items from them, ending the trade, re-initiating a trade and giving items to them until one has determined the bug has occurred or not. Their ability to accept even more items in subsequent trades appears to also be random. This applies to humanoid companions and Dogmeat. [verified]
xboxone Companions will pick up items when commanded to even when overencumbered, making their carry weight essentially unlimited so long as the items are first dropped and the companion is told to pick them up.[verification needed]