Not big on reading nametags, huh? That's okay, my name is long and difficult to pronounce. Ready for it? It's Boyd. Lieutenant Boyd to my friends. Colonel Hsu has me handling the policing duties for the base. I've told him he could make my job a whole lot easier if he would just let me shoot anyone who talks back to me, but you know how colonels can be.”
Lieutenant Boyd appears to be the head MP at Camp McCarran. She is in charge of prisoner interrogation. Boyd also keeps tabs on missing personnel, comings and goings into the station's control tower, and items that seem to be coming up short on the inventory lists. She retains a sarcastic and laconic demeanor in spite of (or perhaps because of) the amount of work on her plate. She is also an avid smoker. She mentions to the Courier that she is married.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- The White Wash: After speaking to Captain Curtis about things going wrong at Camp McCarran, the Courier can ask Boyd about missing people; she will mention Bryce Anders, who was sent to take out Motor-Runner, leader of the Fiends. If the Courier asks her who else has gone missing, she'll mention White, and the quest begins.
- Silus Treatment: Boyd is interrogating a Legion member who was captured and is pumping him for information.
- Dealing with Contreras: If the Courier decides to turn Contreras in to the authorities, Boyd grants them This Machine.
- I Put a Spell on You: She is one of the people the Courier can ask about suspicious activity around the camp.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
After completing "Silus Treatment," she will move around the building, but can often be found in her office on the east side of the second floor.
- "You stick out like a sore thumb around here. You sure you're in the right place?"
- "That may be the worst-kept secret on the base. I'd be more surprised if you had proof he wasn't involved in criminal activity. But if you have proof, you're the envy of every MP stationed here. What'd you find? (Courier having proof of criminal activity Sgt. Contreras)"
- "Not big on reading nametags, huh? That's okay, my name is long and difficult to pronounce. Ready for it? It's Boyd. Lieutenant Boyd to my friends. Colonel Hsu has me handling the policing duties for the base. I've told him he could make my job a whole lot easier if he would just let me shoot anyone who talks back to me, but you know how colonels can be."
- "I like the way you think. Have I said that yet? Problem is that the NCR frowns on using that sort of tactic. There are some restrictions still in place from President Tandi's administration. But here's my favorite thing about you - you're not in the NCR. Plus, for all this guy knows, you're completely insane. That's a winning combination."
- "I think if you rough him up enough and really put some fear into him, he'll sing like a choir boy. So let's do this. When you're ready, I'll go in and give you a little intro. Then I leave the room and you make him regret the day he was born. We go back and forth a couple of times until either he talks or he can't move his jaw anymore. Either way we've had our entertainment for the day."
Carrie Boyd appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- pc xbox360 ps3 If Silus escapes during his interrogation and before any other quests with Boyd are complete she will just respond to you by saying "Poor guy. He's all tuckered out. Well I guess we'll have to pick up where we left off tomorrow...(etc)"; this makes it impossible for you to get the control tower access key off of her for the quest I Put a Spell on You. It also makes it impossible to complete the quest The White Wash. [verified]
- xbox360 Even after completing the interrogation quest, killing Silus may make it impossible to start future quests with Boyd. However, skipping the process of beginning the Dealing with Contreras quest and immediately stealing the data from Contreras' computer will still grant you the completion of the quest and its rewards while still taking the NCR/Boyd's side. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Following the interrogation, Boyd may still have conversation options for quests you have already completed. She may tell you that Ranger Anders is missing and that supplies are being stolen even if you have completed those quests and received the reward from her. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 On the off occasion she will lock herself in the cell. You will be able to get her out of the room by making the NCR hostile for a period time but you will not be able to interact with her. There is no known fix. [verified]
- pc After Boyd enters the cell to "introduce" you to Silus, an NCR MP (from the Strip) will approach and initiate a conversation of which he will imply that you have done something to offend him. I was on good terms with NCR at the time. When you exit the conversation he will become hostile as well as any MP or the guard at the door if they see the attack. Boyd and Silus did not notice the attack and the Silent Treatment quest went through without any problems. [verified]
- xbox360 After the interrogation quest was successfully finished, Boyd and an MP locked themselves up into the cell, out of reach to talk. The key on the player was gone so he couldn't get into the cell. This situation was fixed by dressing as a legion soldier, which drew their attention. But that still wasn't enough to get them out of their cell. A few shots needed to be fired in their direction to get them out of the cell, shooting at the player. Using a Stealth Boy the player could escape, dress up like NCR again and finish their quests with Boyd. [verified]
- pc After you go in to interrogate Silus for the second time, after you make him talk, Boyd will not appear there and you won't be able to finish this quest and others related to Boyd. She is "hidden" behind the side open door of Hsu's Office at the first level, next to the Nuka Cola vending machine. [verified].
- pc Sometimes Boyd might get stuck in a loop after you agree to give Silus a pistol, claiming someone will clean up the mess, leaving some quest unable to be given, such as White Wash.[verified]
- ps3 xbox360 During the interrogation, if you have auto-save on, or save just as Boyd walks through the door (for me, she had just started to make her way to the door), the game bugs and you will be stuck in the room. Silus will not turn hostile and you will most likely have all your weapons still on you. However, Silus can still be beaten to the point of talking, and even killed, but the door will remain locked, and at no point will Boyd unlock the door, or even respond (she may even walk out of the room permanently). Reloading a different save fixes the bug, unless the save occurred in the above situation. However, each time you reload, certain aspects of the room might change, for example, Boone or ED-E may start in the room with you, Silus will automatically start hostile, or you will be caught in the door, unable to move. So far nothing has been proved to fix this save game ruining bug. [verified]
- It is possible to talk with Boyd, and your companions, by abusing the 3rd person camera. By getting as close as possible to the window, and just moving the cursor and your character slightly, you can talk and even pickpocket her. If you are caught pickpocketing, Boyd will even make her way through the locked door, and then back out again, without any chance of you doing so.
- It is possible for Boyd to become glitched inside the locked room preventing further interaction and breaking several important NCR and companion quests. If this happens the use of disguises can help lure her out. By equipping a Legion disguise it is possible for her to become hostile and exit the room. Be careful not to shot her or any other hostile NCR troops. Once out it is best to flee the area and change into an NCR outfit, waiting several days can also help here. She should be standing where ever she was when you left the area.