Camp McCarran is a location in the Mojave Desert which serves as the New California Republic's (NCR) primary military base in the Mojave Wasteland. It is located south of The Strip North Gate and southwest from NCR Sharecropper Farms.
It is located in the pre-War McCarran International Airport outside of New Vegas. Camp McCarran is the largest New California Republic base in the New Vegas area and serves as the headquarters for NCR military operations in the Mojave region. The site was chosen because of the monorail to the Strip, for being an easily defensible location, and having easily utilized technology as well as fortifications that were built before the Great War. Mr. House agreed that NCR could establish a major military presence there under the New Vegas treaty. The camp has several companies of soldiers stationed there, and covers the most area of all other NCR military installations. Major problems that commanders at Camp McCarran are currently suffering from include frequent attacks from the band of raiders known as the Fiends, as well as regularly having to uncover legion spies that may have infiltrated the base.
The airport is mostly intact, having only suffered damage from lack of repair. The NCR has converted several of the guard posts into sniper nests, and the parking lot in the center into a barracks with sleeping, medical, supply storage, office, mess hall and recreation tents set up as well as firing ranges. Near the cargo terminal gates is a truck repair depot.
There are also several NCR supply trucks parked around the barracks tents and passenger airplanes near the control tower. The tents closest to the camp entrance are occupied by the NCR 1st Recon, while the rest of the tents are used by regular NCR soldiers. Some beds, such as those used by 1st Recon, may be used by the Courier without penalty.
There's usually an NCR Trooper standing outside the camp's entrance if you have enough positive reputation to use the NCR emergency radio. Speaking to the trooper will cause him/her to say "Trooper, ready to fight!" and become part of your party; if the trooper dies, a message is displayed on the screen informing you that your companion has died. The trooper does not prevent you from having other in-game companions.
Camp McCarran terminal building
The Camp McCarran terminal building is very large, housing a science lab, an interrogation room, jail, and supply rooms as well as quarters and office space for senior NCR officers.
- La Longue Carabine: A unique version of the cowboy repeater can be found in Camp McCarran, carried by Corporal Sterling, who moves to Camp Forlorn Hope after Three-Card Bounty along with the rest of 1st Recon. Killing him for the rifle will forfeit the quests I Don't Hurt Anymore and Old School Ghoul. To gain this rifle without losing karma, you can pickpocket the ammunition from him (it is all he carries) then fast travel to a different location, then return and you will find the rifle in his inventory.
- Cram Opener: A unique bladed gauntlet, carried by Little Buster.
- This Machine: a unique rifle, which can be obtained as a reward for the unmarked quest Dealing with Contreras.
- Classic Inspiration
- For Auld Lang Syne
- I Could Make You Care
- I Don't Hurt Anymore
- I Put a Spell on You
- The White Wash
- There Stands the Grass
- Three-Card Bounty
- You Can Depend on Me
- A Final Plan for Esteban
- Bounty Killer
- Dealing with Contreras
- Gland for Some Home Cooking
- Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans
- Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup
- Rest and Resupply
- Silus Treatment
- The recruits will not become hostile if you kill the Drill Sergeant in the yard, and some will clap and say 'good riddance'. Some of the female soldiers will also dance if you have the Wild Wasteland trait.
- The airport's runway is located south of the terminal, just behind the wall. This indicates that before the Great War that the airport was converted into some form of military base.
- At the top of the broken down escalators on the East side of the terminal building, to your left is a corridor containing two NCR troopers guarding a door. They will become hostile and attack if you get to close.
- Every time you enter the main entrance the NCR trooper standing a few feet in front of you will point at you.
- You can access the Strip by taking the monorail, soldiers won't be guarding it around 9:00 AM or PM.
Camp McCarran only appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- McCarran International Airport was originally called Alamo Airport when constructed in 1942.
- On December 20, 1948 the airport was renamed McCarran Field, after Pat McCarran, a U.S. Senator, who was native to Nevada, and authored the Civil Aeronautics Act.
- The aircraft around the terminal have folding wings. This is unusual, as normally only navy carrier qualified aircraft have this feature, to save space on deck.
- pc ps3 xbox360 For some reason, sometimes your companion may not follow you to the main area of the Camp, even if you didn't tell them to wait. To fix, just enter the terminal building, fast travel, or exit the camp.
- xbox360 Game corrupts save while saving at Camp McCarran, during the quest to kill Motor-Runner. Saving in front of it can corrupt saves and the same rule applies to any other save file made after the ones in the Camp.
- pc ps3 NCR Troopers sometimes perform as though they are typing on a typewriter/computer (including typing sound effects) while seated in the dining tent, even though there is no keyboard present, since the tables have been given the wrong "idle marker".
- xbox360 If you acquire Corporal White's journal in Corporal White's locker in the Camp McCarran Concourse before receiving the optional task "search Corporal White's personal locker" in The White Wash, the quest cannot be completed. This might lead to a savegame issue where the loading screen dialog tells you that the memory device is no longer present due to inaccessible DLC objects. The game will then restart upon loading dialog confirmation. This repeats with the next loading attempt, rendering the savegame useless.
- xbox360 Sometimes when you enter the main terminal building all NCR troopers will become hostile if you are detected.