| ||For the unmarked Fallout: New Vegas location of the similar name, see Camp Guardian cave.|
Camp Guardian caves
The caves' interior
Oh, thank God! I didn't think I'd ever see another human face down here.”— Halford
The Camp Guardian caves is a large network of tunnels and a few large open areas, with its main entrance being at Camp Guardian Peak, directly north of the tent. There are also two additional exits toward the southern end of the cave. The first comes out on a ledge over top of the pathway you took up, just past the Camp Guardian sign. The second is located in an underwater passage at the southern most point of the cave and comes out in Lake Mead, a short walk south of the Camp Guardian sign. The cave is inhabited with 15 to 20 lakelurks and a lakelurk king.
Following the passages will lead you to the injured Private Halford. With a high enough Medicine skill (50) or a doctor's bag, the Courier can heal the Private at which point you can either tell him the path is clear to leave, which unless true will result in his certain death, or you may ask that he help you clear the caves of the remaining lakelurks with a Speech check (50). Note: Though the pathway that you took to reach him is clear and the quickest way out, he will not take this route to leave, but rather he will head even deeper into the cave.
If you approach either entrance to the caves, Halford will leave the party, stating that he is close enough to the entrance to get out himself. The largest number of lakelurks are found in the area with the King, egg clutches, and the 11 dead NCR Troopers as well as a dead caravan brahmin. Connected to this room is a mostly flooded chamber containing 1-2 lakelurks. At the far end of this chamber is a flooded passage that exits into the Colorado River.
- Schematics - dog tag fist - Rewarded for saving Halford, or found on his corpse.
- 7 C-4 plastic explosives - just inside the cave; 5 in a crate, 1 on top of the crate and 1 on the ground next to the crate.
- Help for Halford: Halford is the only remaining soldier in the platoon that used to be stationed at Camp Guardian, and is now a broken man found crippled within the local cave system. With a doctor's bag or Medicine skill 50+, one can heal his leg and help him escape.
- There are two locations with similar names. The first, a much smaller cave, located on your way up to Camp Guardian Peak containing giant rats, is called "Camp Guardian cave". While this location is named "Camp Guardian Caves."
- There are numerous items dropped down on the ground, from hunting rifles to service rifles. It's very hard to see them in the gloom of the dark caves. Rex's Search and Mark perk will illuminate them and make collecting them much easier.
- At the exit before the NCR camp; if the player were to toggle clipping off, there is a HAM radio behind the exit labeled "Camp Guardian Radio". If interacted there is someone who answers you, "What do you need?" with the only available reply, "Time for me to go".
The Camp Guardian caves appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- pc xbox360 Sometimes if you do not help the injured soldier (Private Halford) before exploring the rest of the cave, when you come back the option to help him is no longer part of the dialogue.[verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 The entrance section of Camp Guardian Caves may be pitch black even with Cateye. Once you walk further in this will correct itself. However it sometimes may continue to bug and walking further into the cave will not help, and it will not light up at all. It will also randomly turn pitch black while inside the cave.[verified]
- ps3 Upon exiting the lower cave, ED-E may appear in Black Rock cave. Fast traveling or entering a load screen will return him to you.[verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 Sometimes when fast traveling away from Camp Guardian, the screen will become very blurry and dark and can make the game virtually un-playable. This may also occur when specifically leaving through the underwater exit. One way to fix this is to fast travel back to Camp Guardian, then to Lake Mead caves, enter the caves and then exit and it should fix the problem. Taking a Cateye is also effective, and the issue will resolve by the time the drug's effect has faded.[verified]
- xbox360 ps3 Upon exiting the cave from the underwater pool that the Private runs through, all relations with NCR, Khans, Fiends, and Legion may be reset.[verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 When leaving the Caves via the underwater exit, if you still have Halford following you he will get stuck on the roof of the exit tunnel, swimming forever and you will not get Private Halford's Note to make the dog tag fist.[verified]
- xbox360 ps3 If Private Halford is asked to support you in killing the lakelurks and you exit through the mid level exit, then he will continue to follow you for all eternity. When spoken to he believes he is still in the cave and asks you to remain quiet. He will kill any enemies that approach or are nearby, just as a companion would.[verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 No matter what cave exit you take with Halford, he will always run back to the underwater exit.[verified]