Another day, another battle, another dead trooper. When is this shit going to end?”— NCR trooper
After NCR captured Hoover Dam, it took them a while to fully reinforce the river to the south. The first camp that was established was Camp Forlorn Hope; an improvised mess of tin shacks, salvaged rubble from Boulder City, tents, and lots of sandbags, it is the most pathetic-looking of all NCR’s camps, but the one that sees the most action. It only exists at all because of the natural spring there (in fact the camp is named for the spring). Recently, Caesar’s Legion captured NCR’s logistical/planning forces in the small, ruined town of Nelson, a disaster that has disrupted Forlorn’s attempts to patrol the western coast of the river.
Camp Forlorn Hope has tents, shacks, and abandoned truck hulls scattered throughout. It is divided by a freshwater creek running through the middle. The camp is near destitute, and generally lacks items for looting, beyond personal possessions including Forlorn Hope letters written by soldiers that can be found all over the camp, or a few more critical supplies found generally under lock and key.
Entering from the North, one of the first places of note would be the medical center. Dr. Richards is usually located here. On the path to the right is a shack, that houses NCR troops and across is the jail, with a lone NCR trooper and a jail cell. Further south is the barracks where Private Stone usually hangs out. Just south of the barracks across the creek is the mess hall. Down the path to the right of the mess hall is a campfire at the end of a long row of tents. To the north of the campfire is the Quartermaster's tent, with a Camp Forlorn Hope storage shed (with a Very Hard Lock) across from it. North of that across the bridge is the command center. Major Polatli is here along with Tech Sergeant Reyes.
- Major Joseph Polatli
- Private Stone
- Doctor Alex Richards
- Quartermaster Carl Mayes
- Private James Sexton
- Tech Sergeant Reyes
- Lt. Monroe (Boulder City Showdown completed in favor of NCR)
- NCR troopers
- NCR Veteran Rangers
- NCR heavy troopers
- 1st Recon (after completing Three-Card Bounty)
- Lieutenant Hayes (after completing I Fought the Law)
- Big Book of Science on a table in the Southeast corner of the Command Center (must be stolen).
- There is a Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap on the table directly in front of you when you enter the mess hall.
- If standing in the graveyard the Courier will hear ghostly voices. Turn off all music and his/her radio for maximum effect. This sound can also be heard in the graveyard next to the Bitter Springs refugee camp and Goodsprings Cemetery, reflecting on the massive loss of life in both locations.
- The ammo boxes found in the back of the tent that Quartermaster Mayes is in will always have either microfusion cells or energy cells instead of conventional ammunition, reflecting on the state of the Camp's inability to equip its soldiers effectively. This ammunition can be taken without being counted as stealing.
- If Raul is the Courier's companion when you visit the camp with him as a companion he may say; "Sheesh, these soldiers look how I feel, Boss!", noting that the Soldiers' health and morale is nearly as bad as his in his old age.
- Camp Forlorn Hope may periodically be attacked by a squad of legionaries from Nelson, crossing over the no-man's land between the two camps. The squad can be as small as three Legionaries to as large as several at once. This is triggered by the player visiting the no-man's land area after triggering the quest Restoring Hope. The soldiers at Forlorn Hope will usually be able to repulse the attack (especially if 1st Recon is also present), but some of the named characters inside the camp may potentially die during the assault.
- Unlike many other NCR camps and communities, Camp Forlorn Hope does not have a reputation marker on the world map (but you still gain NCR fame for completing the quests here). The Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide incorrectly states that it does have a reputation marker.
- A palette de-saturation effect has been applied to the entire camp, with colors being muted and more sepia-toned; most likely an aesthetic effect designed to reflect the overall morale.
- After the Boulder City Showdown quest is completed siding with NCR or making a deal, Lieutenant Monroe will immediately begin walking towards the camp.
- Between Camp Forlorn Hope and Nelson will be a small battlefield littered with dying NCR troopers. Laid near their bodies will be frag mines - most likely traps Legionaries have placed should the Courier or other NCR troopers wander too close to help them. Regardless of whether the Courier is able to disarm the mine quickly enough before it damages him and kills the trooper, they are either too weak or too wounded to actually be saved. Attempting to talk to them will only have them ask the Courier to perform a mercy killing. Oddly enough, performing a high profile kill upon one will turn both the other dying troopers in the field and the active NCR Troopers within Camp Forlorn Hope hostile. (Though the dying troopers will still remain on the ground, just marked as hostile) It is suggested to perform low profile mercy kills upon them with silenced weapons, should the player not want to damage his/her reputation with the NCR. These mutilated soldiers have been removed in recent patches (Dead Money onwards) due to problems with console memory use.
- If the Courier completes the quest We Are Legion, Legion troops will comment that Forlorn Hope has fallen. Despite this the Legion does not actually take over the camp and generic NCR troops will continue to spawn.
- If Camp Forlorn Hope has been overrun by the Legion (i.e. completing the quest We Are Legion), Major Dhatri will say that he has heard the camp has been overrun, and will keep 1st Recon in McCarran if Driver Nephi has been eliminated as part of Three-Card Bounty.
- Courier can play up to 5 games of Caravan with Mayes.
- Many letters written by the soldiers stationed here can be found scattered around the entire camp or on the corpses of NCR Troopers in the area, such as at the area where the Troopers on a supply run for HELIOS One have been ambushed and killed, or the mutilated soldiers in no-man's land.
- The NCR Troopers at the camp will often complain about their equipment as compared to troops stationed at Camp McCarran or HELIOS One. They are equipped with caravan shotguns rather than the service rifles or occasional hunting rifles that other NCR soldiers have.
- Depending on your actions during the quests We Are Legion or Restoring Hope, during the battle of Hoover Dam the NCR emergency radio will report on the status of Camp Forlorn Hope. Either the town is destroyed by the Legion, holds its ground against the invasion, or will provide support for Hoover Dam if Nelson has already been taken.
- When the player is a higher level or passes a certain point in the main quest, NCR heavy troopers will replace the Military Police outside the main tent.
- If the Bloatflies at the graveyard are engaged and not killed fast enough, most of the soldiers in the camp will attack them, but some of the named characters, such as Major Polatli will flee the camp entirely, and may be killed by other, more dangerous creatures.
- The NCR troopers at Forlorn Hope will always spawn with a single dogtag in their inventory, and will spawn another if killed. This is likely an oversight by programmers, possibly to make finding a dead Trooper necessary to collect dogtags instead of pickpocketing them.
- Many quest NPCs serving with the NCR in the more isolated parts of the map will relocate to the camp once the Courier has completed their specific quest (such as Lieutenant Hayes).
- When the player is a High level NCR trooper in the towers will be replaced with NCR Veteran Rangers
Camp Forlorn Hope appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
- A "forlorn hope" is a body of troops chosen to take the leading part in a military operation, such as an assault on a defended position or as defending a hazardous position, where the risk of casualties is high. The term comes from the Dutch verloren hoop, literally "lost hope," and adapted as "lost troop."
- There is an actual location in the Mojave Desert called Forlorn Hope Spring, located south of Boulder City and north of Nelson.
- It is possible that the camp could be a reference to Valley Forge, a Patriot camp during the American Revolution that suffered many of the same problems that this camp struggles with. Valley Forge eventually receives support in which the player has a choice in supporting Forlon Hope and restoring it from its current condition.
- ps3 pc The first time traveling to Camp Forlorn Hope, if approaching from the south, sometimes a Legion patrol will spawn inside the base, resulting in a battle between the NCR and Legion - if the Legion patrol kills any quest non-player characters during the battle, this result in failed missions. Reloading and approaching from a different direction (north or west) seems to prevent the Legion troops from spawning inside the base.[verified]
- xbox360 ps3 After accepting any mission at the Camp Forlorn Hope whenever you're outside everything appears in a violet haze very similar to that of Camp Searchlight's green haze.[verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc Members of the 1st Recon, after arriving at Camp Forlorn Hope, may continue to speak as if they were still at Camp McCarran fighting Fiends.[verified]
- xbox360 Soldiers killed here may respawn with more than one dog tag, they may even initially spawn with more than one.[verified]
- xbox360 After examining Dr Richards patient closest to the door of the medical center, a Powder Ganger and two Great Khan soldiers may enter the tent, attacking Dr Richards and the player depending on reputation. They stay in the tent and no more can be seen else where in the camp.[verified]
- xbox360 The rangers that spawn in the east facing sniper nest and the south facing sniper nest occasionally will not be armed.[verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes, when you fast travel, everyone at the camp will become hostile.[verified]
- xbox360 Just west of the camp where the Courier must find the supplies during the quest Restoring Hope, the same Nightkin from the one in Novac might spawn in a rock.[verified]