The C.I.T. ruins is a location in the Commonwealth in 2287. Based on the real life Massachusetts Institute of Technology, it is instead known as the "Commonwealth Institute of Technology", abbreviated as C.I.T.
The main area, called the CIT Rotunda, is based on MIT's Great Dome, a notable landmark of the school. There is little of value in the courtyard and outside areas of the rotunda. On the western side of the rotunda building, there are two Pulowski Preservation shelters, one of which contains a Vault-Tec lunchbox.
Upon entering the rotunda, the Sole Survivor will hear super mutants and synths fighting on the upper levels. Directly to the right of the main entrance are two sets of stairs. The closer staircase leads to the upper walkways where the super mutants and dead synths can be found. The rear, candle lit stairs lead to the roof of the rotunda. At the top of the walkways, past the super mutants, there is a trunk with plenty of leveled loot as well as an advanced locked wall safe.
- Bottlecap mine on the desk in the classroom on the first floor.
- Mini nuke in the rubble on the west side of the ground floor in the outer area of the room containing the large double headed statue. It's lying on the opposite side of the wall that the ruined dresser is at.
- If the Sole Survivor chooses to destroy the Institute in the quest The Nuclear Option, the C.I.T. ruins are destroyed with it as they are located directly above the Institute. The destruction levels the entire area, creating a crater that floods with water from Charles River. When in the immediate area, the sky will turn green and lightning will streak across the sky like in the Glowing Sea.
- At one of the entrances, there is a subtle nod to the film Good Will Hunting, where a skeleton of a janitor is found lying in front of a chalkboard where a difficult math problem has been posted, similar to the plot of the film.
- Scattered throughout the rotunda are small stacks of perfectly clean, undamaged pre-war books. They cannot be interacted with and their presence is never explained.
- Though the flatbed truck in front of the Rotunda contains only empty radiation barrels, it still adds a substantial amount of rads and should still be avoided.
- Despite being located directly above the Institute, it is impossible to reach it through the ruins (except in Ad Victoriam); you have to use the molecular relay to access the Institute.
- Robert House, according to his obituary, attended the Commonwealth Institute of Technology.
The C.I.T. ruins appears only in Fallout 4.
ps4 On occasion, there may be an invisible super mutant on the second floor. This is not a Stealth Boy effect, since the super mutant is completely invisible even in V.A.T.S.. However, it can still be killed and looted. Companions seem to have no trouble targeting the threat.[verified]