Bug Verification Project
By a Campfire on the Trail
More Wasteland rehabilitation
We're going to do a little something that folks on the trail call healing powder.”— Sunny Smiles
By a Campfire on the Trail is a tutorial quest in Fallout: New Vegas. This tutorial quest introduces the player to crafting. Sunny Smiles shows the PC how to use campfires, which in turn can help the player understand how to work both the work and reloading benches.
|Main Quest: By a Campfire on the Trail|
|Find broc flower and xander root|
|Collect xander root by the tree trunk outside of Goodsprings schoolhouse.||Collect broc flower at Goodsprings Cemetery|
|Bring the broc flower and xander root to Sunny Smiles and use the campfire to make healing powder.|
|Next Quest:They Went That-a-Way|
After finishing the quest "Back in the Saddle", Sunny offers to show the courier another trick for surviving in the wasteland; using campfires to cook food. If the player chooses to end the tutorial during Back in the Saddle, this quest is not available.
Sunny asks the courier to retrieve a xander root near the Goodsprings schoolhouse, and a broc flower from the Goodsprings Cemetery. Both plants can also be found on a hill directly south of the campfire where she waits.
The plants Sunny directs the player to are newly added to the specified locations by the quest. At the school house a new xander root is added to the patch where only two had grown near the east entrance, along with two giant mantis nymphs that now guard the area. The cemetery, previously without any broc flowers has a new one added near the open grave at the back, as well as four bloatflies and bark scorpion. The new plants are permanent and will respawn, but the creatures will not.
After retrieving both items, the courier meets Sunny Smiles at the campfire near the Goodsprings water source, where the courier previously fended off mutated geckos. After talking to Sunny Smiles, go to the campfire to make healing powder.
When this quest is over, Sunny will tell you to head over to the Prospector Saloon and talk with Trudy.
|10||Find a broc flower and a xander root|
|30||Use the campfire to make healing powder|
|40||Quest finished||Go and meet Trudy at the Prospector Saloon.|
- If you "use" either the xander roots or broc flower before giving them to Sunny Smiles, the waypoint will disappear, but the ingredients will respawn every 72 hours.
- Sometimes, you can buy both the broc flower and xander root (or at least one of the two) from Chet.
- If healing powder is already in your inventory, Sunny will move on with the quest as if you had created it using the camp fire.
Behind the scenesEdit
As well as acting as a crafting tutorial for the player, retrieving broc flowers and xander roots is also a reference to the start of Fallout 2, particularly Hakunin who will make healing powder upon returning to him with the same two ingredients.
- ps3 xbox360 When following Sunny Smiles and talking to her at the campfire, the quest will become marked as done on the Pip-Boy. Sunny will go back to the Prospector Saloon without teaching the Courier how to make healing powder and no broc flower nor xander root will appear on the hill south of the campfire. So it's better to go to the Goodsprings Schoolhouse and to the Goodsprings Cemetery and talk to Sunny with all the ingredients. [verified]
- xbox360 A Giant Radscorpion (and possibly other high-level creatures) may occasionally spawn at the cemetery. It can be quite challenging for a low-level character to defeat. The player can kill the Radscorpion by shooting it while running backwards, or by climbing onto the roof of the Prospector (as mentioned in the "Ghost Town Gunfight" and "Goodsprings" articles) to safely finish it off (although it may run away). If the player seeks the assistance of Goodsprings residents, beware of Victor's grenade launcher - he may kill the player, Goodsprings settlers, or any critical NPCs nearby.[verification overdue]