The flamer that burns twice as bright burns half as long. All weapons have +3% chance to Critical Hit, but equipment condition decays 15% faster.”— In-game description.
- The weapon depicted in the Vault Boy icon is the light machine gun.
- This trait has no apparent downsides for players who utilize only thrown weapons (such as throwing spears) and explosives.
- Note that while many explosive weapons do not depend on condition (thrown or placed explosives) to be effective, these same explosive weapons do not feature any bonus critical damage, making this trait useless for someone who uses a lot of thrown explosives, such as frag grenades.
- Critical Chance is affected by weapon condition, so keeping your weapons in a good condition is important to benefit fully from this trait.
- The Full Maintenance perk fully compensates for the higher the degradation rate of Built to Destroy.
- Using bare fists (i.e., no weapon at all equipped) will still cause the critical hit chance to be applied.
- ED-E can repair your equipped weapon once a day for free, after procuring an Eyebot upgrade circuit board in the Hopeville missile silo bunker. Requires Lonesome Road.
- By having Raul in your party, your equipment (including weapons and apparel) will degrade at a slower rate by 50%, with his Regular Maintenance perk. This can be upgraded to Full Maintenance perk, after completing his unmarked quest Old School Ghoul.
Behind the scenesEdit
The trait description is a reference to a well-known proverb: "The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long."