The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
|Institute side quest: Building a Better Crop|
|Talk to Clayton Holdren.|
|Talk to Isaac Karlin.|
|Go to Warwick homestead.|
Speak to Roger Warwick.
Speak to Roger's family and get information.
|Speak with Cedric Hopton in Goodneighbor.|
|Deal with Bill Sutton at Warwick homestead.|
|Report to Isaac Karlin.|
|Reward: 200 XP|
Warwick homestead as a settlement
During or after the quest Institutionalized, speak with Doctor Holdren. He'll mention that Doctor Isaac Karlin could use some help. Karlin will explain that they've replaced Roger Warwick with a synth and need seeds delivered to perform an experiment, he will then provide a passphrase.
Warwick homestead is east of Atom Cats garage and south of The Castle. Go there and speak with Roger, giving him the passphrase. Follow Roger on the "tour" of the homestead, then speak to him again to deliver the seeds. Roger will discuss Bill Sutton's actions around the homestead, and voice his concerns that Bill knows that Roger is a synth. Roger will ask the Sole Survivor to investigate and resolve the issue for him, starting by talking to Roger's family.
Wally and Janey won't provide any information without completing a medium persuasion check, at which point they'll mention Cedric Hopton going to Goodneighbor. June can be persuaded to give information by telling her she should be grateful or by passing a medium check.
Go to Goodneighbor next and find Cedric in The Third Rail. All four speech options lead to the same second stage of the discussion. At that point, Cedric can be bribed or hit with a medium persuasion check to send the player character back to talk to Bill.
Upon returning, Roger is being held up by Bill. The discussion ends up one of two ways: killing Bill, or passing a moderate persuasion check to talk Bill down. Either way, the result is 250 caps, Warwick homestead as a settlement and instructions to return to the Institute and collect a reward.
- Companions reactions:
- Piper, Paladin Danse, MacCready and Curie all like it when sympathizing with Cedric. Hancock and Cait, on the other hand, dislike it.
- Hancock, Strong and X6-88 like it when responding to Cedric with anger. The player character may first choose this option, then reengage Cedric in conversation for the speech check/bribe options.
- Piper, Curie, and Nick Valentine like sparing Bill's life. X6-88 loves it.
- Hancock dislikes it when sparing Bill's life.
- Curie cuts in with special dialogue when talking to Roger for the first time, and likes if the Sole Survivor tells him not to worry.
- Danse cuts in with special dialogue when talking to Roger. If Danse was spared during the events of Blind Betrayal, he will like it when sympathizing with Cedric and sparing Bill's life.
- If killed, Roger does not have a synth component on his corpse.
- Returning to the farmstead after a peaceful resolution which enables The Institute experiment to continue, the Warwick family make comments about a particularly large and weird colored gourd plant growing at the front in a patch of regular size gourds; such as You should take a look at the gourd patch. We've got a prize-winner for sure. This is due in part to the Institute Bioscience department developing a unique breed of Cucurbitaceae (gourd family) via genetic manipulation, and the exceptionally fertile soil at the farmstead (all noted in their terminal entries) Checking the gourd patch, it does indeed now include a very large gourd growing there which can be harvested, though it only produces a normal gourd item.
- Despite the Institute's stated plan to wipe out the whole Warwick family once their experiments are over, nothing of the kind happens in-game regardless of whether the Institute was destroyed or not. All Warwick family members including synth-Roger continue to go about their regular settler business indefinitely.
- ps4 pc If you already have Warwick Homestead as a settlement, it is highly likely either Cedric Hopton or Bill Sutton, or both, will be killed during an attack on Warwick Homestead so this quest becomes unavailable. [verification overdue]
- xboxone pc If you have already established Warwick Homestead as one of your settlements before this quest, you may run into issues. Any settlers that are in the vicinity of the confrontation between Bill and Roger at the climax of the quest will eventually start attacking Bill. It's possible that they will already be fighting if you fast travel to the Homestead during this stage. Even if you manage to quickly get through the conversation with the peaceful ending before any settler starts fighting, settlers will still attack Bill afterwards at any time (even if the quest has already been completed). [verified]
- A possible workaround for this issue (that works on any platform) is to send all generic settlers to other settlements before leaving to find Cedric in Goodneighbor. Another possible solution if playing on the PC is to simply disable any settler via the console before they have a chance to attack Bill. However, even if you specifically re-enable the same IDs afterwards, any settler's appearance and inventory will be randomized and not saved from before.
- pc ps4 If a Minutemen radiant quest (such as Greenskins) for Warwick homestead is already active when undertaking this quest, the radiant quest may be stuck because the dialog for this quest will take precedence and even after completion, Roger may refuse to talk about the radiant quest, leaving it stuck in your Pip-boy for the duration of the game. [verified]
- pc It's possible to fail this quest silently before it has even started. This leaves Doctor Holdren saying that Doctor Karlin needs help, while the latter simply uses one of his default lines without initiating dialogue. It is unknown what causes this, but it might be related to completing Mankind - Redefined before starting this quest. Console command setstage 000986c7 200 allows to start quest manually.[verified]