Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Broadsider is the answer to that age-old question: "Would it be fun to walk around and shoot people with a portable naval cannon?" Yes. Yes it would.”— VDSG Catalogue No.9708
An unusual heavy weapon mixing 18th-century ordnance with 23rd-century technology. The main body consists of a small old-fashioned naval cannon (possibly a muzzle-loading swivel gun) strapped to a makeshift rig with metal rivets and thick ropes. This rig allows it to be carried around with both hands easily, and includes a hinge allowing the cannon to be angled vertically for easy reloading. It fires cannonballs via an electronic trigger taped to the back handle.
The Broadsider's base damage is affected by the Heavy Gunner perk.
|Slot||Mod||Description||Weapon prefix|| Damage per shot change|| Fire rate change||Range change|| Accuracy change|| Magazine capacity (shots per reload) change|| Weight change|| Weapon value change in caps||Perk needed||Components||Base ID|
|Barrel||Standard barrel||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x4|
|Light barrel||Better hip-fire accuracy.||Fluted||–||–||–||+2||–||-4.5||+10||Gun Nut 1||Adhesive x8|
|Grip||Standard grip||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Screw x8|
|Steady grip||Better recoil and hip-fire accuracy.||Steady||–||–||–||+2||–||+1.3||+45||Gun Nut 1||Adhesive x10|
|Shot Canister||Standard shot canister||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x2|
|Multi shot canister||Better ammo capacity.||Repeating||–||+18||–||-16||+2||+5.4||+100||Gun Nut 1||Adhesive x5|
- The Broadsider is a powerful weapon, only surpassed by a fully upgraded Gauss rifle, a missile launcher, and a Fat Man in terms of raw damage output. However, its considerable weight, very limited range, lack of aiming pointer, low ammo capacity, pronounced ballistic trajectory of its projectiles, and its exceedingly rare ammunition (although it can be bought from shops) make it more of a weapon for occasional use than a convenient tool for regular field deployment.
- However, the Broadsider uses considerably less AP per VATS shot than a missile launcher--almost half--while weighing considerably less than a fully upgraded missile launcher. A VATS-based heavy weapon character may find it considerably more useful in this regard.
- The cannonball reward from the end of Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution appears to be tied to the weapon. Adding another one to your inventory will also add the cannonballs.
- At some point in development, the weapon was intended to have weapon mods that would change the properties of the cannon balls. In the game's archives, there are meshes for an alternate version of the front part of the electronic trigger, along with a mesh for a cannon ball with a fuse. This cannon ball is used by a cut projectile, that seems to have been intended on causing the cannon ball to explode.
- Additionally, there's another cut projectile that causes a larger explosion on impact, similar to the explosion caused by cars. The name of this, BroadsiderProjectileMortar, suggests that it was to be similar to the projectiles used by the artillery pieces.
- A "Nuke" variation of the weapon can be added with the console command player.additem 65df2 1.
This version of the Broadsider launches gigantic nukes, and uses a custom ammunition type called "Nuke", which can be added with the console command player.additem 65df3. However, being a cut weapon, it does not actually consume the "Nuke" ammo, making it a weapon with infinite ammo.
- The marking on this cannon is the Royal Cypher of King George III. Born 1738, reigned from 1760 to 1820. There appears to be a date on the first reinforcing ring above the cypher which shows the year 1820. King George III died in January 1820, meaning that this cannon was cast in the foundry during that month. The second reinforcing ring above the cypher is illegible but the info on that ring might state the weight and inspector's mark. There is no historical reason for a British cannon from 1820 to be aboard the U.S.S. Constitution, so it is safe to assume that it came with the robots.
- No companions are able to equip this weapon.
- Even though it has no legendary modifier, the Broadsider cannot be scrapped at a weapons workbench. This is likely because it is a one of a kind weapon and is unobtainable without completing the associated quest or using console commands.
Behind the scenesEdit
The term "broadsiding", or "firing broadside", is a naval term, referring to firing all the cannons (in jargon referred to as 'guns') that can be pointed to one side of a ship, all at the same time.