For some reason, I think I should save my game in a brand new slot.”— The Chosen One
You're standing in front of a large chasm, spanned by a rope bridge that is blocked by a brown-robed figure. The Bridgekeeper, when approached, hails the player and demands that they answer three questions. The player character can answer, or decline, however you can not leave without crossing the bridge, there is no exit grid on the near side, and, if the player has the Highwayman, it is inexplicably parked on the far side.
The Bridgekeeper's questions begin, with "What is your name?" and "What is your quest?" The Chosen One can answer truthfully or lie to the first one, the answers to the second all tend to be acceptably true, and will change depending upon the point they are at in the storyline. The third question is random among three questions, and are pieces of obscure Fallout trivia, usually based on the intricacies of the SPECIAL system.
If you have less than 4 in Intelligence, the conversation will be extremely confusing, but you can still answer questions. The Bridgekeeper will ask you only two questions and help you greatly for the 2nd, giving you the answer in the question. Also, it's the only type of character that can kill the Bridgekeeper directly to the 1st question, asking him his name.
Third question answerEdit
- What is the minimum requirement for the Quick Pockets perk?
- Uh...Agility of five?
- Uh...level three?
- What do you mean? The statistic or level requirement? (kill Bridgekeeper)
- Which non-player character from Fallout 1In-game spelling, punctuation and/or grammar survived to appear in the sequel?
- How much weight can a person with a Strength of six carry assuming he has the Strong Back perk?
- Uh...two hundred and twenty-five pounds?
- How many levels of the Strong Back perk does the person have? (kill Bridgekeeper)
- If the Chosen One answers all of the questions truthfully and accurately, the Bridge Keeper will grudgingly let him/her pass, while muttering to himself in floats about how he hates his job, occasionally breaking the fourth wall and implying he is an actor in a cheesy, career halting role.
- If the Chosen One answers the first two questions truthfully and accurately, then answers the third question with another question, the Bridge Keeper spontaneously dies and you earn 500 XP. You can also loot his body for the bridgekeeper's robes, an equivalent to the combat armor, but weighs half as much.
- If the Chosen One lies to Bridgekeeper or fails to answer the third question correctly or with another question, the player will die horribly.
- If the Chosen One attempts to engage the Bridgekeeper in combat, mad exploding brahmin will come to his aid, kamikazeing the player. It is possible to kill him, and when you do so you will earn 7500 XP and lose 10 Karma.
- Out of all special encounters, this encounter has the highest probability of occurring.
Behind the scenesEdit
This encounter is a reference to the comedic film Monty Python and the Holy Grail.