Boulder City Showdown
Stalemate situation in Boulder City ruins
Jessup is holding 2 NCR troopers, Privates Gilbert and Ackerman, hostage in the Great Khan hideout, inside the Boulder City ruins. Lt. Monroe of the NCR asks the Courier's help in getting them released.
|Side Quest: Boulder City Showdown|
|Speak to Lt. Monroe in Boulder City.|
|Defuse the situation with the Great Khans.|
|Free Hostages via Negotiation by talking with Jessup, leader of the Great Khans in Boulder City.||Free Hostages by Killing the Khans.||Kill the NCR Troops|
|By passing a Speech check (45), convince Jessup to have the Khans to go peacefully.||Release the hostages.||Kill Lieutenant Monroe.|
|Return to Lt. Monroe and either pay him 500 caps or pass a speech check to let the khans go peacefully.||Return to Lt. Monroe and speak to him.||Once all NCR soldiers are dead, return to Jessup|
|Reward: 300 XP|
Great Khan fame
|Reward: 300 XP|
Great Khan infamy
|Reward: 300 XP|
Great Khan fame
|Leads to: Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
Speak to Lieutenant Monroe to begin the quest, and walk through the door behind him. From here, the player has 3 options as to how to proceed:
Option: Free hostages via negotiationEdit
- Enter the Boulder City ruins and go into the Great Khan hideout.
- Talk to Jessup.
- By passing a Speech check (45), the player can convince Jessup to release the hostages and have the Khans leave peacefully
- The player can convince Jessup to shoot his way out
- The player can convince Jessup to release the hostages
- By asking Jessup about the Platinum chip, the player will complete They Went That-a-Way
- Go back and speak with Lieutenant Monroe. He informs the player he's been given orders to kill the Great Khans, hostages or not.
- The player can talk Monroe into honoring the deal and not killing the Great Khans. This results in the player gaining fame with the Great Khans and the NCR, receiving good karma, and an additional 300XP.
- The player can offer to give him 500 caps (or less, with 45 Barter) to let the Khans escape.
Note: If the player engages in hostile action with the Great Khans, the player will still be accepted with both factions. Also, if you choose this option, Jessup will give the Courier the Engraved cigarette lighter which can be given to Swank at The Tops, as evidence that Benny does not have the best interests of the Chairmen in mind.
Option: Free hostages by killing the KhansEdit
- The player may choose to free the hostages by killing all the Khans in the area.
- The player must kill all the Khans in the Ruins, including the two in the Hideout.
- Release the two NCR hostages in the building next to the Hideout.
- Return to Lt. Monroe and speak to him.
- Upon completion, the player will gain fame with the NCR and infamy with the Great Khans.
Option: Killing the NCR troopsEdit
- The player must kill all the NCR troops in the area, including Lieutenant Monroe. There are about 5 soldiers when you enter the ruins.
- Once all NCR soldiers are dead, inform Jessup the Khans are free to go.
- Note: The hostages will remain tied up in the ruins. The player can either leave them be, free them or kill them. Killing them results in XP and Karma loss, in addition to NCR infamy. The Great Khans will attack the player if the hostages are engaged, so wait for them to leave the area.
- Upon completion, the player will gain fame with the Great Khans.
|10||Meet with Jessup, leader of the Great Khans in Boulder City.|
|15||Negotiate for the release of the NCR hostages.|
|60||(Optional) Bribe the NCR troopers into letting the Great Khans escape|
|70||Quest finished||Return to Lieutenant Monroe and inform him that you've worked out a deal with the Great Khans.|
Siding with the Khans:
|40||Help the Great Khans kill all the NCR troops in the Boulder City ruins.|
|80||Quest finished||Tell Jessup the Great Khans are free to go.|
Siding with the NCR:
|50||Quest finished||Help the NCR kill all the Great Khans holed up in the Boulder City ruins.|
- Telling Lt. Monroe you will talk to the Khans causes them to be neutral upon entering the Boulder City ruins. Conversely, telling him you will fight it out makes them immediately hostile.
- Bribing Monroe will cause Jessup to speak lines similar to that of a regular Great Khan, however, if the Courier persuades Monroe to allow the the Great Khans to go peacefully, Jessup will retain his original dialogue.
- If using diplomacy to solve this quest, it appears that the Great Khans fame increase is larger than the NCR fame gain. This can be seen if the player has Neutral reputation with both factions, as the player's fame with the Great Khans is raised to "Accepted" and the NCR reputation is still Neutral.
- pc xbox360 ps3 If you go to New Vegas and circumvent the entire Boulder City main-quest arc, Jessup's only dialog response will be to say Goodbye, making the quest impossible by diplomatic means. [verified]
- xbox360 The game may suddenly switch the objective from negotiations to kill all NCR in the area. This somehow will cause the hostages to immediately become hostile and attack you. You will be forced to kill them, initiating negative Karma loss and NCR infamy. However, the other NCR members do not become hostile and the quest can be completed by simply killing Jessup. [verified]
- pc If talking to Private Ackerman after freeing him, there will be a slight audio glitch on the "Thanks" in "Thanks for getting me outta there. I owe you one." [verified]
- If you tell Monroe you will talk to the Khans and then proceed to successfully stealth kill an NCR trooper inside, your quest log will update to "Help the Great Khans kill all the NCR troops in the Boulder City ruins". Then if you release the hostages by making a deal with Jessup, and return to Monroe he will have no dialogue option to complete the quest that way. The only way then to finish the quest is by killing Monroe. [platforms tag needed] [verification needed]