Let's be careful. No human being would possibly pile books this way.”— Robert Joseph MacCready
The library is O-shaped with an open patio in the center. The whole place is inhabited by protectrons and MKI turrets. It is also filled with super mutants of varying strengths depending on level. A booby trap with a grenade bouquet can be found inside near the entrance connected to the library from Copley Station.
Depending on which entrance the Sole Survivor will enters from, a super mutant raiding party would attack the area opposite of where they enter (back door or through the subway and vice versa). This will spawn the super mutants to attack who would then begin to attack the robots that protect the area. The super mutants will spawn in several waves before they are all dead.
- Intelligence bobblehead - In the mechanical room (northwestern side of building, 2nd floor, room has a closed but unlocked door on approach). On the large computer.
- Stealth Boy and bottlecap mine - In the supply room off the northern room that contains the Intelligence bobblehead behind a master locked door.
- The key can be found in the previous room in the northeast corner next to a terminal.
- Massachusetts Surgical Journal issue #8 (+2% damage dealt to limbs) - Obtained as a prize from the book return terminal in the southwest corner. Requires 50 book return tokens, equivalent to 10 overdue books. It's on the 2nd floor beside the entrance from Back Bay. The other return machine doesn't have surgical journal reward.
- Six overdue books:
- Three in the mechanical room (the one where the bobblehead is), they're on the left side of the room upon entering near the two sleeping bags and army ammo container.
- One in the women's restroom in a stall
- One in the main reading room on a shelf by the terminal (turn to 4 o'clock while facing it)
- Enter the building through Back Bay (western) entrance. Head down the hall directly in front of you, then through 1st hole in the wall on the left. Continue through this room through the doorway into the next room. The book is on the first desk you come to.
- Vault-Tec lunchbox on a table in the southwest room, near the overdue book machine (look right/east when facing the machine). Another lunchbox can be found in the underground station, in a baby carriage. One may wish to overturn the baby carriage as when the lunchbox is opened the prize may fall through the ground. Another lunchbox maybe found on the floor of the cafeteria to the left of the main entrance.
- Three overdue books - In a Pulowski Preservation shelter to the south east of the buildings exterior.
- Public Knowledge - Clear out super mutants and return Daisy's book. The quest starts in Goodneighbor.
- An intercom can be found and interacted with outside the western entrance. By passing an easy persuasion check, the player can enter the library without picking the lock. Doing so tricks the security system into thinking the player is an employee, turning all protectrons and turrets friendly. Attacking a friendly protectron or turret will engage combat with that unit only. The persuasion check reveals the ID passcode is 123456 registering as Mr. Mayor.
- While inside the building, a large amount of super mutants (approximately 20) emerge from the entrance through the nearby subway station and from the western entrance, attacking the Sole Survivor and any remaining security.
- cut Curator Givens' terminal logs make mention of "compressing" data and implies that the player can "help the cause" and seems to point to the large data computer where the bobblehead is, but no further clues are found. If you turn clipping off (tcl) and walk through the actual computer and wall, directly behind where the bobblehead is, you can actually find a terminal just floating in mid-air. For console players, using a jet pack you may fly upwards through the skylight and reach the terminal that way. Accessing it, it asks if you want to "compress data to holodisk, yes or no?" Selecting yes will update the player with experience and eject the "BPL Compressed Data" holodisk which can then be found under your misc. inventory section. The quest event ID is listed as "DN011 OverdueBooks", which has a stage of "0" and "1000". Stage "1000" gives you the disk and XP, and changes the terminal to say the data has been compressed. Whether the terminal being inaccessible was a level designer's oversight, or intentionally left out of the game is not known. It is also not known if the BPL compressed data holodisk has use elsewhere in the game at this time.
- If accompanied by Cait she will ask "Where do you think they keep the dirty mags" when entering the large room.
Boston Public Library only appears in Fallout 4.
- ps4 pc You can get stuck inside the room in the bottom level after coming down the ramp. (The room connected to the open patio area) There's a room with junk piled in the door. You may enter it through the right hand side of the doorway. But can never leave without previous save reload.[verified]
- pc Your game can get stuck while receiving the Surgical Journal. The book terminal will become unable to exit and you will have the Item Obtained overlay stuck on your screen indefinitely.
- Possible fix: Press the Enter key instead of the activate key [verification overdue]
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.