|Railroad side quest: Boston After Dark|
|Give Doctor Carrington his prototype.|
|Retrieve the dead drop.|
|Meet Old Man Stockton.|
|Secure the rendezvous point.|
|Wait until night time for Old Man Stockton.|
|Wait for the Railroad contact.|
|Follow High Rise.|
|Talk with High Rise.|
|Report Back to Doctor Carrington.|
|Reward: 300+ XP|
Ticonderoga as a safehouse.
|Leads to: Operation Ticonderoga|
Find the message from Old Man Stockton at the assigned dead drop or head directly to Bunker Hill and talk to Old Man Stockton inside the building. He'll respond to the security phrase with the information: that there are raiders at the drop-off location and requests that the Sole Survivor to clear the area. Passing speech checks can get more caps and/or the first mention of "Patriot."
Head to Cambridge church, indicated by the quest marker and eliminate the raiders, then wait until it's night time. Stockton will bring the synth, named H2-22, and give the all clear sign by lighting a lamp in the window, then he leaves. Talking to the synth doesn't reveal much information, since he's been told not to talk to anyone. Passing increasingly harder speech checks reveals that he was a maintenance worker at the Institute, and was treated no better than a tool.
After some time, a Railroad operative called High Rise arrives and after a brief conversation, he advises the player character there are raiders en-route to the safehouse. The Sole Survivor and High Rise will then proceed forward with H2, fighting through the raider outpost. Upon reaching Ticonderoga, they will thank the Sole Survivor for the assistance, and the location will be usable as a safehouse from then on. Speaking to the synth reveals he's scared, but hopeful about his future.
Return to Carrington to receive a reward and the next mission.
- When Doc Carrington complains about Old Man Stockton's insistence on using a dead drop, suggesting that he might have "good reason to be paranoid" will elicit a like from Deacon and Curie. Alternatively, Deacon will like saying "You hate everyone" and Curie will dislike it. Deacon also likes simply saying it's an important mission.
- Additionally, when Carrington asks "if Deacon at least taught you the countersign," Deacon likes you responding "Of course he did."
- Deacon will like it if you tell Stockton "Delays are bad."
- Deacon will like it if you ask High Rise for the Railroad countersign.
- MacCready will dislike H2 reaching Ticonderoga.
- Cait will dislike H2 reaching Ticonderoga, but this can be evened out by telling High Rise that you haven't joined the Railroad to be his babysitter.
- If the player character asks Doc Carrington about what a dead drop is, Nick Valentine will immediately say "Never read a spy novel, huh?" This is one of the several remarks Nick Valentine makes that show his fondness of pre-War literature.
- If the player character asks Doc Carrington about what a dead drop is, MacCready will make a wise crack about food poisoning.
- Old Man Stockton comments on expecting someone more "armed," even if the Sole Survivor is wearing power armor and/or wielding heavy armaments such as a minigun or Fat Man. He will also say he was expecting someone of the "feminine persuasion" if the Sole Survivor is male.
- This could imply that Stockton was expecting Glory, as she is armed with a minigun.
- Traveling through Cambridge during this quest can pick up the attention of many otherwise unrelated enemy groups, requiring one to eliminate them to ensure the safety of Stockton and H2 during and after the quest:
- pc ps4 xboxone If you head to the church to "secure the rendezvous" and the raiders are dealt with, Stockton may not arrive, leaving the quest unable to be completed.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone Upon arriving at the church, you may discover two raiders inside and one feral ghoul outside (or already killed by two raiders). After killing the raiders and ghoul, the quest still may not progress and your objective will remain "Secure the rendezvous point." The quest requires that you kill three raiders to advance to the next stage and the ghoul mistakenly spawns in place of a raider. This bug makes it impossible to complete the quest on Xbox. On PC you could use console to resurrect and kill again one of the raiders and the quest will move to the next stage as expected.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone It's possible to pick up the Augusta report and start Butcher's Bill before reporting back to Carrington. If you complete Butcher's Bill as well, you can no longer hand in Boston after Dark. Carrington will only have his generic dialogue.[verified]
- This can be avoided by loading a save before the glitch occured, and allowing him to talk to you first instead.
- pc Using the console, the quest can be completed with setstage 5fd90 800.
- pc ps4 xboxone Stockton and H2-22 may also arrive during daytime.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone Stockton will go to the lamp to light it for the signal but the lamp won't actually ignite.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone The raiders in the church cannot be killed by companions or through inciting them to attack each other. They will simply fall down at low health, getting back up after a few seconds.