Down at the end of the hall is BALL storage. For jocks who like BALLS, like RICHIE MARCUS. Do you hear me, Betsy? RICHIE likes BALLS.”
Before the Great War, the boy who would later become Borous was a child prodigy who had been bullied in American High by a classmate named Richie Marcus. He also had an unrequited crush on another student, Betsy Bright, who had turned him down for Richie and picked on him as well. His only friend was his dog, Gabe.
Later in his life, he became a part of Big MT's staff as head of the X-8 cyberdog project, and began cruelly experimenting on his own dog Gabe, feeding him various drugs such as psycho. Numerous other animals also fell prey to his vicious experiments, but only Gabe remained faithful and loyal, answering malice and cruelty with love and attachment. Sometime before the Great War, Gabe was eventually transformed into a prototype model of the cyberdog. However, due to errors in programming, he was forcibly sealed in an unfinished section of X-8's test areas, as a "...precaution.".
After the Great War, together with the rest of the Big MT "Think Tank" executives, the doctor became a think tank to continue his work at Big MT. However, when he started to show symptoms of the insanity that began to consume his comrades, Doctor Mobius, the sole sane researcher, wiped his pre-War memories, hacked his data banks and gave him the name "Borous", all to keep him and his colleagues forever trapped in the Big MT, so that they could never unleash the horrors of the crater on the unsuspecting world around them.
Doctor Borous is the "Head of Animalogy, Beastology, and DNA-Scrambling technology" at the Big MT, and created both the night stalkers and cazadores. He also claims to be responsible for creating the Radar Fence around the crater.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Old World Blues: If Klein can't be convinced otherwise, Borous, along with two other members of the Think Tank, are needed to convince Klein to give up trying to escape the Big MT.
- Picking Your Brains: After completing 'Welcome to the Big Empty', the player needs to talk to Borous and the rest of the think tanks to complete this quest.
- Welcome to the Big Empty: The player has to talk to Borous as with the rest of the think tank to complete the quest.
- A Brain's Best Friend: After Gabe's bowl is returned to him, he feels an overwhelming sense of remorse and regret towards how he treated his dog, as Gabe was a loyal companion to him. This feeling is quickly repressed, however, and Borous' personality remains unchanged on the surface.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
If the player has shown Borous Gabe's bowl before completing Old World Blues, and the player doesn't have a 100 in Science or 85 in Medicine to convince Dr. Klein, Borous will side with the player in convincing Klein to back down.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|-||Electron charge packs, over charge
Microfusion cells, over charge
- Doctor Borous proudly states that he is the 'Head Chief First Researcher' of labs Z-9 and Z-14, where he created night stalkers and cazadores. But because of the hack by Mobius, he claims that they are sterile and contained within Big MT, regardless of what the Courier tells him.
- If you have Gabe's bowl but have yet to complete the X-8 Residential Test, you can ask him if the bowl looks familiar. He can't remember, thinking it might be a cazador skull or a Bowlian. Then he tells you to find more information somewhere in Big MT.
- Test Lab X-8 is a re-creation of his high school with Dr. Borous acting as the "Doctor-Principal".
- After you complete the add-on, Doctor Borous will still act as if Doctor Mobius is still a threat, saying, "If there is a next time, for any of us".
- In Borous's house in Higg's Valley, in the same room you find the key to the basement, you may find a knife stuck into a crayon picture of a monster with the word "DAD" written on it on the floor near the bed, suggesting a poor relationship with his father.
- "You may know me as the Head Chief First Researcher of Labs Z-9 and Z-14. There I fought valiantly to preserve rattlesnake DNA, and put it right where it belongs, in the husk of another feared predator. Oh, and the tarantula hawk. Can't splice enough, I always say, especially if you can make a magnificent Cazador!"
- "Attention students! This is the prerecorded voice of your prerecorded principal, Doctor-Principal Borous!"
- "FIRST WAS THE HEART! Uh - wait... I mean SECOND WAS THE HEART! Brain was first. THIRD WAS THE SPINE!"
- "A GUN! Are you MAD?! We can't give it a GUN! GUNS kill."
- "Fwooooooosh! That... is the sound of FLUSHING."
- "Down at the end of the hall is BALL storage. For jocks who like BALLS, like RICHIE MARCUS. Do you hear me, Betsy? RICHIE likes BALLS."
Behind the scenesEdit
- The name Borous is a reference to the name of the ancient symbol Ouroboros, which is typically depicted as a snake eating its own tail - another looping and infinite figure which follows the naming convention of the other members of the Think Tank. The misspelling of "Boros" was an error on Mobius' part.
- Doctor Borous' speech often parodies that of a stereotypical 1950's science-fiction movie narrator.