Rescue the captives from the Legion Camp
|Side Quest: Booted|
|Talk to Boxcars in Nipton.|
|Go to the Legion Raid Camp and free the two slaves.|
|Reward: 100 XP|
Powder Ganger fame
During the Courier's visit in Nipton, the player character will notice that something isn't right. When they first enter the town, a Powder ganger who seems to be over-excited about winning "The Lottery" runs up and keeps repeating that he has won. Going further into the Town, the Legion have taken over the town and killed almost everyone. While searching through the town, the Courier will find a man called Boxcars in the General store.
Boxcars reacts to the player in different ways, depending on their reputation with the Powder Gangers. If you have a neutral reputation, he thinks you're going to kill him. If you have attained a vilified reputation he exclaims about how down on his luck he is, because after the following events, the Powder Ganger's "Grim fucking Reaper" had just showed up. His legs are crippled by the Legion and tells you about the lottery that the legion had played with the town of Nipton. The mayor of Nipton had the lottery ticket to be burned in a pile of tires. Boxcars was lucky enough to be left alive but they smashed his legs, and he is now crippled. He explains to you that some of the Powder Gangers were enslaved by the legion and headed east. He mentions that his legs are in much pain and he needs Med-X. You then have the option to spare some for him (You get a choice of up to five doses).
Once you locate the Enslaved Powder Gang members at the Legion Raid Camp. There are numerous ways to free the slaves in this camp.
There is no Negative Karma for killing the slaves after the quest is completed. Note that freeing the Powder Ganger slaves usually results in a positive increase in rep with them with no effect on your reputation with the legion, unless you kill them.
Alternatively, If you see no faction standing at all in your Pip-Boy 3000 with the Legion, then they may turn hostile once a Powder Ganger is untied. As mentioned above, you will still be able to kill the freed prisoners without a penalty to your Karma. A Stealth Boy can facilitate the infiltration of the camp.
|1||Quest finished||Rescue the captives.|
- Killing Boxcars during the quest will cause you to fail the mission even if you kill him after he has told you about the prisoners and thus no longer plays a role in the quest.
- This quest can be completed without losing reputation with the Legion by either waiting for both of the guards to turn their backs (you can make them turn their backs by talking to them from the opposite direction, then circling around), wearing Legion armor to lure NCR troopers into the camp to kill the Legion, or by sniping the Legionaries with a silenced weapon (i.e. the nearby Ratslayer) while remaining undetected. It can also be completed by simply using a Stealth Boy. Alternatively, player can sneak kill Legionaries one by one (i.e. crouching behind them while hidden) using melee, blunt weapons or explosives...as long as player is not detected while making the kill - no reputation loss will ensue.
- Even if not detected by a Legionary, but still in a condition of being detected by something (e.g. the prisoners), killing any of the patrols will cause infamy to the Legion.
- Alternatively, one can do this quest before getting the Platinum Chip from Benny since you will be informed by Vulpes Inculta that you will be "forgiven of your sins".
- Completing the quest with Craig Boone as a follower will earn you history points towards triggering Boone's companion quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget. Boone will automatically attack the Legionaries and trigger infamy with Caesar's Legion, this can be avoided by telling him to wait at a distance before approaching the camp, then having him rejoin after clearing the camp and before untying the prisoners. Alternately, if you have a high enough Sneak skill, Boone attacking the Legionaries may not affect your reputation with the Legion as long as you aren't spotted.
- Once rescued, the two Powder Gangers will run south to the old nuclear test site, where they will most likely be killed by the many high-level feral ghouls in the area. Even if the ghouls are cleared out beforehand, the Powder Gangers will simply stand around the area in front of Trash's shack until the ghouls respawn.
- You can return to Boxcars after you complete the quest, but he simply wont care about you saving his fellow Powder Gangers, saying he'd rather you'd shown up at Nipton before the Legion "smashed his legs in".
- If you wait too long near the Legion Raid Camp during this quest, you may find it overrun by a night stalker attack, with all the Legion members dead and both of the prisoners gone. In this case it seems impossible to finish the quest.
- If you go to the Legion raid camp and successfully untie the prisoners before even talking to Boxcars and/or starting this quest, when you go to Boxcars, you can still start the quest and then it will automatically complete, while getting history points for Boone.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes the player will see the Powder Gangers up and walking freely, they will flee (although not far) if you get into combat with the legions. After you defeat the legions, the Powder Gangers will keep walking around, when you try and "talk" to them, you will get an option to untie him or leave him tied regardless of them walking around freely. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Sometimes after you kill the Legion Guards, you can't untie the Powder Gangers, just wait and it should be fine. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Rarely, a Legion Guard may be tied up and the prisoner standing next to him. Talking to the guard makes him speak as usual. You still have the option to untie the prisoner standing next to the guard. [verified]
- xbox360 It is probably wise to leave ED-E parked a bit over the hill if it is with you when you do this quest. ED-E doesn't really understand the concept "prisoner" and may fail the quest for you by killing both the Powder Gangers before you can get to them and release them. This is more likely if your reputation with the Powder gangers is Vilified. [verified]
- ps3 Rarely, if you untie one of the Power Gangers a Legion Guard will take his place sitting on the ground. Talking to the guard offers the same dialog options as when he's on duty. [verified]
- xbox360 When you reach the powder gangers they will sometimes appear dead but still be tied up. [verified]
- pc Sometimes after freeing the powder gangers, they will roam around freely, and after you kill all the Legion, they will kneel back onto the ground and become tied up again. This time, however, you are unable to untie them, though the quest is finished. [verified]