Your bravery surpasses that of any other, and I've come to admire your actions. Before death takes us, I would know you deeper. Come with me... My Hunter.”— Red Lucy
|Side Quest: Bleed Me Dry|
|Enter The Thorn and talk to Red Lucy.|
|Collect giant mantis eggs.|
|Collect radscorpion eggs.|
|Collect fire gecko eggs.|
|Collect night stalker eggs.|
|Collect cazador eggs.|
|Collect deathclaw eggs.|
|Return to Red Lucy|
|Reward: Dinner Bell, a hunting revolver, a hunting rifle, 1650 XP, 5200 caps (6400 with 90 Barter), and the ability to sleep with Red Lucy|
Red Lucy is looking for a hunter to find new creatures for the Thorn. She will send the Courier on a series of quests to find eggs of different creatures.
The first assignment is to acquire giant mantis eggs. Lucy marks Vault 22 on the map; if it's already been cleared, then the quest is easier to complete. The mantis eggs will only spawn after speaking to Red Lucy and initiating the quest. In order to get to the eggs on level three, the cave door keycard must be located in the common area. It is on a shelf in the first bedroom on the left after passing through the door labeled "Quarters" on the lower level, across the area from the door labeled "Utility". Also, 12 normal mantis eggs can be collected instead, which will turn into a pile of giant mantis eggs. After taking the eggs, they will need to be presented to Red Lucy back at The Thorn. She will reward the player with 200 caps or 300 with a barter of 50. Asking her what to do next will unlock the next part of the quest.
An alternate route to get to the eggs without having to get the key card is: Repair the elevator and take it down to the Pest Control level. Upon exiting the elevator, take the first left and go up the stairs, then take the door to Food Production in the room at the top. Go forward at the tunnel intersection; there will be a few mantises at the end of this path, guarding the giant mantis eggs.
The next part is to collect radscorpion eggs near Goodsprings Cemetery. There will be at least 4-6 radscorpions there, many of the giant variety. Collect the eggs created for this quest. Looking down from the hill that houses Goodsprings Cemetery, the egg clutch is practically due east, and can be seen through a long range scope. Just like before, after collecting the eggs, they must be brought to Red Lucy for 300 reward caps and a hunting rifle with some ammunition. Another barter challenge (60 Barter to pass) can be used to instead receive 400 caps.
Then, she will tell the Courier to go search the Ireteba Peaks for fire gecko eggs, specifically at the unmarked location, Bootjack Cavern. Fast travel to Clark Field (or run there from Novac), then go E/SE up the hill. Once inside the cave are approximately 10-14 fire geckos. A pile of fire gecko eggs can also be located in the cave. After receiving the eggs, take them back to Red Lucy for 500 caps, or 700 caps with a Barter check (70 to pass).
The searching gets tougher as your next challenge will be night stalker eggs in Bloodborne cave. After entering the cave, make a left and drop down to the lower level. Ahead is a camp fire surrounded by skeletons. The pile of night stalker eggs can be found just beyond that. Inside the cave are many night stalkers, including the Legendary night stalker. However, with the Animal Friend perk, they will not attack. After leaving return to Red Lucy. She gives a hunting revolver, some ammunition, and 700 caps (1000 caps if a Barter speech challenge of 80 is passed).
An alternate method is to obtain 12 night stalker eggs. After collecting the 12 eggs, the game will "convert" them into a "pile" of eggs like those found in the areas Red Lucy suggests to the player.
Next on the list, go to Nevada Highway 157 leading east from Jacobstown and follow the dirt path when it splits off directly in front of Silver Peak Mine. When coming towards the radio antenna, turn right and follow the route straight ahead and find cazador eggs. Or, start directly from the Remnants bunker entrance and head straight southwest. There will be a lot of cazadores to deal with including adult and young. After taking the pile of cazador eggs, return to Red Lucy for more caps and for the final egg-collection task. She gives 1000 caps, or 1500 with a barter of 90.
Note that from Red Lucy's original description of the cazador location it would sound as if it were intended to be reached from Red Rock Canyon, and it is indeed possible to *exit* the cazador egg location to reach Red Rock (simply follow the ravine south and east), but it is not possible to ascend the path from that direction. Given Red Lucy's dialogue, the fact that it "looks like a path" from the Red Rock side, and the fact that the path is easily traverseable in the other direction with no sign of any intended obstacle, it is likely this represents an error on the part of the level or quest designers.
- At Quarry Junction there will be: one young deathclaw, six deathclaws, one deathclaw alpha male, and four deathclaw babies being lead by a very powerful deathclaw mother. The mother deathclaw and the deathclaw babies are at the egg site. If the deathclaws have been previously cleaned out they will not respawn. Lucy will not recognize individual eggs previously gathered at this site. However, a "Pile of Deathclaw Eggs" will spawn once this portion of the quest begins, and the pile can be collected and returned to Lucy.
- At Dead Wind Cavern the player will face many deathclaws in close quarters, with 2 young deathclaws at the cave entrance. Inside there are at least 4 young and 7 adult deathclaws, as well as 1 deathclaw mother and the legendary deathclaw, the third most powerful enemy in the game, Mercy the unique grenade machine gun, and Brotherhood T-45d power armor can also be found in the last chamber after the first one with the eggs.
- If the deathclaws here have already been killed they will not respawn as part of the quest, but may however have respawned due to passing time.
- Once the eggs have been retrieved, return back to Red Lucy and collect the reward (2500 caps, no Barter challenge) and the unique hunting shotgun, Dinner Bell.
After finishing the quest, the Courier can sleep with Red Lucy. Sleeping with Red Lucy will grant you the Well Rested bonus and can be repeated by inquiring again about the eggs.
|Hunt||XP||Reward||Barter Reward||Declining Reward|
|1. Pile of giant mantis eggs||100||200 caps||300 caps (Barter 50)||n/a|
|2. Pile of radscorpion eggs||150||300 caps, hunting rifle, and .308 rounds (9)||400 caps, hunting rifle, and .308 rounds (9) (Barter 60)||Hunting rifle and .308 rounds (9)|
|3. Pile of fire gecko eggs||200||500 caps||700 caps (Barter 70)||n/a|
|4. Pile of night stalker eggs||300||700 caps, hunting revolver, and .45-70 Gov't rounds (9)||1000 caps, hunting revolver, and .45-70 Gov't rounds (9) (Barter 80)||Hunting revolver and .45-70 Gov't rounds (9)|
|5. Pile of cazador eggs||400||1000 caps||1500 caps (Barter 90)||n/a|
|6. Pile of deathclaw eggs||500||2500 caps and Dinner Bell||n/a||n/a|
|Total||1650||5200 caps||6400 caps (Barter 90)||n/a|
- pc xbox360 ps3 After starting the quest, then asking Red Lucy for watching a fight between two creatures down in the Thorns arena, the creatures may not start to fight against each other but standing in the arena facing each other doing nothing. Interacting with Lucy is impossible from now on, trying so she says: "It's time for blood. Not talk. Find me after the fight." Since the fight never starts, even not after lots of in-game days you may not end the quest. Trying to shoot the night stalkers from above or jumping into the arena to cause the night stalkers to attack you will turn the dwellers of the Thorn hostile towards you and will cause the quest to fail. If you go down the stairs next to Red Lucy, remain hidden, and snipe the creatures, the other side (either red or blue) will run back to the cage. If you open the gate and step inside the arena, they disappear about 75% of the time, allowing you to interact with Red Lucy again. You can also employ a Stealth Boy and get away with shooting the creatures to get the action going. Alternatively, if the surviving night stalker returns to his cage but does not disappear, find a suitable place to sneak sniper it and if successful, the mission will continue. [verified]
- pc When sleeping with Red Lucy there will be no sound at all. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 After completing Bleed Me Dry and having sex with Red Lucy, she may stay in her room and not come out, asking for intercourse in dialogue only. To fix this you must sleep in her bed for about 24 hours or so. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 After giving Red Lucy the mantis eggs, the quest will not continue on. The quest becomes reset and you must do the first steps again. [verified]
- You may be able to fix this on Xbox and PS3 by bartering a higher price/taking the caps instead of just giving them to her.
- xbox360 ps3 The mother deathclaw sometimes respawn even if you already cleared out the cave. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 In the night stalker cave, when getting the 12.7mm submachine gun, from the 'very hard' locked gate, tripping the grenade bouquets may cause the game to crash. [verified]
- xbox360 The map marker for Quarry Junction may not appear until leaving The Thorn. [verified]
- xbox360 After completing the quest Red Lucy may not give you the unique weapon Dinner Bell even after having sex with her. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 After having sex with Red Lucy, her only dialogue may be "Lay down with me, my hunter.". You will not be able to talk to her, or fight in The Thorn, and sleeping in her bed without her will not fix this. [verified]
- pc After completing the quest, Red Lucy will walk to her room but might not lie down in her bed and/ or change into sexy sleepwear. She'll end up walking out of her room and every time you talk to her, she'll only say, "Lay down with me my hunter." (can be fixed by sleeping in her bed for 24 hours). [verified]