Bighorners of the Eastern Virgin
Decide what to do with the bighorner calf
My guess is one of the calves got lost somewhere along the way. Bighorners are communal - one missing calf and the whole herd gets orney”— Follows-Chalk
|Side quest: Bighorners of the Eastern Virgin|
|Talk to Follows-Chalk about the local wildlife.|
|Navigate the canyons above the Dead Horses camp and find the lost calf. Optionally, try not to kill any bighorners.|
|Lead the lost calf back to its mother.|
|Reward: Variable XP, .45 Auto pistol .45 Auto, hollow point rounds, war club|
Talking to Follows-Chalk about interesting wildlife in Zion will initiates this quest. After receiving it, the player character should head to Angel Cave and go up the slope to the left of the camp. After maneuvering across the river over the three rock bridges, the Courier finds the Lost Mountain bighorner calf at the end of a narrow passage opposite the end of the last bridge.
In order to complete the optional part of the quest, the Courier mustn't get too close to any of the other bighorners, and they won't attack.
The player character has to then to feed the lost calf a banana yucca fruit to get it to follow them. It is a good idea for the Courier to have three or four banana yucca fruits (there are 3 banana yucca plants along the route) as the calf periodically stops, and the player character has to feed it another before it continues. It can take 5–10 seconds after feeding for the calf to resume following the player character again.
The Courier should then return back across the rock bridges to the bighorner mother. They must then choose to either return the calf or keep it and if the former, the player character needs to speak to Follows-Chalk to complete the quest and receive the reward. If any bighorners were killed by the Courier in the process of completing the quest, Follows-Chalk will still give the reward. He indicates that he understands, but wishes they had not been killed. If the player character kills no bighorners, they receive 25% more XP for the quest.
- Once you have found the lost calf, you may want to save your game. There are a number of random ways this quest (or just the optional part) can fail, so you may need to reload and try again.
- The bighorner calf can fall off the rocks when it's following you, making travel difficult.
- If a bighorner strays into the Dead Horses camp, the non-player characters may kill it if it becomes aggressive, causing the optional part to fail.
- Having the Animal Friend perk will make this quest considerably easier.
- A giant cazador may appear and attack the bighorners which could cause you to fail the optional part of the quest.
- Successful completion of this quest yields a .45 pistol and a war club, both in perfect condition.
- Occasionally, a Dead Horses tribe member may wander up the path leading to the bighorners herd. When this happens, he or she may attack the bighorners causing you to fail the optional portion of this quest.
- Don't forget to make your follower (if any) become passive, if not, they will attack the bighorners on sight.
- If you kill the bighorner mountain mother before the quest, you can still take the quest and successfully complete it after returning the calf and talking to Follows-Chalk. Also, after the quest you can kill the calf for XP, if so desired.
|5||Find a way up to the cliffs|
|11||Find the lost mountain bighorner calf|
|20||Get the calf to follow you back to its mother.|
|25||Get the calf to follow you back to the herd|
|26||Take the calf to Follows Chalk|
|27||Kill all of the mountain bighorners|
|30||Quest finished||Speak with Follows-Chalk.|
- ps3 Sometimes the calf will not follow you even if you offer it banana yucca fruit. [verified]
- pc ps3 Upon completion, the mother may still remain hostile to you. [verified]