Fallout 3 locations project
Aerial view of Big Town from the north
The population of Big Town has dwindled significantly in recent years. Most of the residents have been killed or dragged off by Slavers or Super Mutants.”— Fallout 3 loading screen
Big Town is a medium sized settlement surrounded by a makeshift wall, consisting of six survivors and five possible additional characters. The town has been ravaged from super mutant and slaver attacks. It is located north of Vault 101 and southeast of the Moonbeam outdoor cinema. It is also one of the starting points of the quest Big Trouble In Big Town.
The residents of Big Town are all refugees of another settlement, from which they were forcibly expelled...”— Fallout 3 loading screen
Big Town was glorified by those of high authority in Little Lamplight as a safe and comfortable area where "mungos" go to live. In reality, Big Town is constantly besieged by slavers and super mutants, while the demoralized residents can do little to repel the invasions. When the Lone Wanderer arrives in the settlement for the first time, they are informed that some residents were kidnapped by super mutants and taken to the old police station in Germantown, whom the Wanderer can rescue if they so choose. Upon arrival, every resident is seemingly depressed and ready for death.
After completing the quest Big Trouble in Big Town by showing the citizens how to defend themselves, mutant attacks will cease on Big Town and the area turns into a relatively safe place to visit. The chosen method of handling the problem (or not) will also determine what happens in a certain random encounter with a wasteland merchant. If you choose to help Timebomb, you will get a Lucky 8-ball and free medical services from Red.
Although it has some crude fortifications, Big Town is the subject of constant attack from Slavers and Super Mutants, who view it as an easy target.”— Fallout 3 loading screen
Big Town is a small town which apparently used to be a sprawl of suburban housing before the Great War. It has since been transformed into a makeshift fortress with walls made of cars, debris, and rubble. The dilapidated homes are fortified with barbed wire and sandbags. The town is only accessible by using a bridge crossing a makeshift moat (located at the north end), as the town is surrounded by barricades.
- ¹ After randomly encountering the scavenger who is heading for Big Town, he will remain there indefinitely.
- ² After completing A Sticky Situation
- ³ Only if rescued during Big Trouble in Big Town
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine: In Red's clinic, lying on her kitchen table.
- Lucky 8 ball: Can be obtained from Timebomb, assuming the player meets the requirements.
- After Big Town is liberated from the super mutant threat, at least one merchant will try to travel to the town.
Big Town only appears in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- xbox360 The nearby wheels provide a better moving platform as the carts can glitch through the protectron. In order to test one's positioning, one should enter two additional cells in order to trigger the glitch; such as entering red's clinic, then the basement of the clinic, then return to the outside. If done correctly, there should be a longer loading screen with a background image rather than a black screen, and the robot will have attempted to move.
- ps3 xbox360 It has been noted above in the Notes section that enemies may randomly appear upon fast travel. But sometimes upon fast travel they will actually spawn in front of the player from 'thin air'. This may result in one or more non-player character's to be killed, and could affect certain quests such as Strictly Business if Red is killed.
- xbox360 The inhabitants may randomly become "hostile" acting as if they are going to shoot but just following the player with weapons drawn and cannot be interacted with. Leaving and waiting a few days seems to fix this.
- pc xbox360 After ending the Big Trouble in Big Town mission, if you do not wait the two waves of super mutants to attack, all the inhabitants will desapear, as if they had been killed. No corpises will be found.