Beyond the Beef
Ted Gunderson being kept inside the freezer
Drug this wine for the banquet
A cannibalism problem? Really? I'm so glad you weren't eaten!”— Yes Man
Well-known brahmin rancher Heck Gunderson asks the Courier to track down his son Ted, who has disappeared in the Ultra-Luxe Casino Hotel. Ted was kidnapped by Mortimer of the White Glove Society, who is attempting to return the White Glove Society to cannibalism.
Warning: This quest is tied to Pheeble Will, if you choose the revengeful way to kill Heck Gunderson and/or his son. Depending on your choices, it is possible to fail one of the two quests.
|Side Quest: Beyond the Beef|
|Go to the Ultra-Luxe casino and speak with Heck Gunderson.|
|Speak with Marjorie and then Mortimer, the managers of the Ultra-Luxe.|
|Sort out everyone's problems by either:|
|Help return Heck Gunderson's son to him alive, curing the White Glove Society cannibalism in the process.||Help return Heck Gunderson's son to him alive and help Mortimer return the White Glove Society to cannibalism by killing one of your human companions or a man named Carlyle St. Clair III.||Kill and cook Heck Gunderson's son, blame his father for the murder, and help the White Glove Society return to cannibalism.||Kill every White Glove member you see on the way to Ted and lead him out alive.|
|Reward: 100 or 500 XP, 250 or 500 caps and the Strip fame or White Glove Society fame.|
In the Ultra-Luxe casino you'll find Heck Gunderson, a wealthy brahmin baron, sitting at the bar and upset about his missing son. After questioning the purpose of his visit, you can offer assistance in finding his son, Ted Gunderson. Then go talk with Marjorie, one of the managers of the Ultra-Luxe Casino & Hotel, located at the Gourmand restaurant and learn that a bride went missing in the hotel, which is damaging their reputation. At some point in the conversation she will inform you that the White Glove Society were cannibals, but this practice is now forbidden. You have the option to tell her that you are a cannibal too, as a lie (unless you have the Cannibal perk), which does not impress her and will lead to White Glove Society infamy.
After you inform her that you are looking for another man, much to her disbelief, she will tell you to find the other manager, Mortimer. When talking to Mortimer you have several options.
- You can lie, with a Speech of 62, or use the cannibal perk, to tell him that you are a cannibal too (no infamy gained), he will be euphoric and explain his plan to return the White Glove Society to cannibalism, by killing or arranging a substitute for Ted Gunderson.
- You can just ask him directly if you have evil Karma and non-neutral Strip reputation.
- You can follow Marjorie's advice and ask him about an investigator searching for clues about a missing bride in the hotel.
Working with MortimerEdit
Mortimer is very displeased that the Society is denying their basic impulses and wishes the return of the old practices. For this, he will arrange a banquet in which members will be served meals prepared with human flesh. For this purpose he arranged a kidnapping, but the victim was able to escape. Having to find a substitute at the last minute, he kidnapped Ted Gunderson, son of Heck Gunderson, a very powerful brahmin baron.
Mortimer wants to get rid of Ted in a way that doesn't leave any suspicion of the Ultra-Luxe; or, if it's not possible, kill Ted and use him as a meal, framing his father for the death. If you want to spare Ted's life you have to provide a substitute for the banquet, which can be one of your human companions if you give this suggestion to him or the original victim that was able to escape, Carlyle St. Clair III. Note, that you can´t use Imitation Strange Pie for this task. He then will provide keys for the Ultra-Luxe freezer, Gourmand kitchen and Ultra-Luxe Penthouse, as well as a cattle prod.
Return Ted to his father and find a substitute for the banquetEdit
- If you want to return Ted alive to his father, go to the Gourmand restaurant and use the elevator to go to the basement.
- A White Glove Society guard will ask what you are doing there. Inform him that Mortimer wishes to get rid of the kid without arising suspicion if he cooperates, with a 55 speech check.
- Open the freezer and talk to Ted. You have to lie about the people who did this to him and pass a 38 speech check, indicating that maybe it was some competitors trying to screw his father's negotiation about brahmin with the "White Pants Society" (in Ted's own words).
- Leave with him through the Gourmand restaurant kitchen. If you try to use the members-only door everyone in the basement will turn hostile (even if you don't open the door).
- Guide Ted to his father, who will be furious and demand to know who did this to Ted. Lie that you don't know and receive 500 caps from him, as well as some White Glove Society fame.
The next step is to find a substitute for the banquet.
You may either:
Sacrifice one of your human companions by going to the kitchen and locking them in the freezer. This will end the quest (be sure to take all equipment they are carrying).
Travel to Carlyle St. Clair's home and convince Carlyle to go to the Ultra-Luxe, or knock him unconscious and put his body in a dumpster close to his house. His home is located close to Freeside North Entrance; travel to the gate and follow the road between north and northeast in a straight line.
There are many ways to deal with Carlyle St. Clair. You can convince him to go to the Ultra-Luxe with a 65 speech check; if you have the Black Widow or Confirmed Bachelor perk you can propose to have sex with him in the dumpster; with 45 guns you can pistol-whip him; asking him about himself will reveal he was black-labeled by his family and with a 45 speech you can convince him that the White Glove Society can clean his name; asking about a pain he has in the neck will lead to a 7 Strength, 45 Medicine or 45 Unarmed that will knock him unconscious. If you don't have any of these skills, use a cattle prod that Mortimer provided to you (make sure that your companions are away if not they may accidentally kill him). Drag his corpse to the dumpster and place him inside. It should be noted that if you have the cannibal perk, devouring him will make you fail the quest.
Go back to Mortimer after dealing with St. Clair, or your companion, and gain 500 XP and a huge boost of Strip and White Glove Society fame. This concludes the quest and the White Glove will return to cannibalism after the 7PM banquet.
You can steal or gain through dialogue a recipe from the head chef, Philippe, that will let you create a human flesh alternative to fool Mortimer and all the White Glove members (55 Barter check will get you his recipe, 55 Medicine check will get you his recipe and the key to the freezer where they're keeping Ted). This will result in Mortimer revealing himself at the banquet without the player having to kill anyone, not even the cook. This is possible if the player can pass a Barter, Medicine or Speech check to get the recipes and remove the cook without having to kill him. Create the dish, and wait until 7 PM for the banquet to begin. Use the intercom to call the head waiter.
If you plan on freeing Ted and exposing Mortimer, talk to him only after the head waiter has left the room, preferably the area, because he will be hostile if Ted is following you. Use the direct route to the banquet hall, and sneak while you enter, because the White Glove members will be hostile to you. Wait for Mortimer to finish his speech, walk up to him, stand up and quickly talk to him, because otherwise your companions and Ted will attack the bouncer, causing the entire room to become hostile to you. Expose Mortimer's plan, and talk to Marjorie for your boost to White Glove Society fame. You also gain Strip fame if you persuade (35 Speech) Heck Gunderson not to stop selling brahmin meat to White Glove society.
|1||Ask around the Ultra-Luxe for information regarding Ted Gunderson's disappearance.|
|2||Get Ted back to his father if he is still alive.|
|3||Inquire with Mortimer at the Ultra-Luxe about the investigator.|
|4||Talk to Ted Gunderson, who's being held in a room beneath the Gourmand.|
|5||Return Ted to his father at the Ultra-Luxe's Top Shelf Bar.|
|6||Secure an acceptable replacement for Ted Gunderson as the White Glove Society's main course.|
|7||(Optional) Lock one of your human companions in the Ultra-Luxe kitchen freezer as replacement for Ted.|
|8||(Optional) Take the recipe-book from the cook, non-violently (optional) and make a human-flesh alternative and let Mortimer expose his-self to the people, while they dine on a meat that's not human-flesh.|
|9||Talk to Carlyle St. Clair at his residence north of the Strip|
|10||Quest finished||Return to Mortimer|
Kill Ted, and frame his Father for the murderEdit
If you want to complete the quest Pheeble Will and receive a very nice reward from both Mortimer and Walter Phebus, killing Ted is advantageous.
Accept the quest from Walter but don't accept any of the barter checks. Go back to the Ultra-Luxe and tell Mortimer that you want to help him (you may have to lie to him). Mortimer will give you a key that lets you enter the kitchen basement. A White Glove Society guard will ask what you are doing, inform him that Mortimer wishes to get rid of the kid. Open the freezer and talk to Ted. You have the option to talk a little or simply tell him that you are finishing what the White Gloves started, which will cause him to turn hostile. After killing Ted, collect a bit of blood and some remains from the corpse to frame his father.
Note: This option is still available if you lie about your intention when agreeing to help Mortimer, but keep in mind that you mustn't agree to help Heck Gunderson find his son when asking what he is doing in the Ultra-Luxe in the quest Pheeble Will or the option to help Mortimer frame Heck will not appear.
With the false evidence in your inventory, go to the Ultra-Luxe Penthouse. The penthouse can be accessed from an elevator located in a room behind Mortimer's desk. There will be two body-guards in the suite which you can kill without Karma penalty. Distribute the blood and remains of Ted in the bed and in the bathroom sink. Then go to the Strip and inform a Securitron that a murder happened in the Ultra-Luxe. After making a surreal and mocking speech about the law, the Securitron will proceed to arrest Heck Gunderson, who will resist and end up being killed.
Proceed to Mortimer for your reward of 500 XP, Strip and White Glove Society fame, and the result of the White Glove Society returning to cannibalism after the 7PM banquet.
After talking to Mortimer, go back to Walter for an additional reward of 200XP and 1,500 caps.
Extra info: This method will permit the courier to complete the entire line of tasks in Render Unto Caesar.
|1||Ask around the Ultra-Luxe for information regarding Ted Gunderson's disappearance.|
|2||Get Ted back to his father if he is still alive.|
|3||Inquire with Mortimer at the Ultra-Luxe about the investigator.|
|4||Talk to Ted Gunderson who's being held in a room beneath the Gourmand.|
|5||Kill Ted Gunderson.|
|6||Collect samples of Ted's corpse for use in framing his father.|
|7||Distribute your samples around Heck Gunderson's bed and sink in his Ultra-Luxe penthouse suite.|
|8||Send a Securitron from the Strip to investigate Heck Gunderson's suite.|
|9||Quest finished||Return to Mortimer|
Following the InvestigatorEdit
There is also a way to save Ted and prevent the White Glove Society from returning to cannibalism:
When you talked to Marjorie about the disappearance of Ted, she told you that an investigator is looking for clues about a missing bride that was at the hotel, and pointed you to Mortimer, who will say that the investigator is still in the hotel and give you a key to his room. You may also ask Mortimer about the White Glove Society's reputation of being cannibals, which will give you the opportunity to lie with a Speech of 62 or use the Cannibal perk to admit that you, too, are a cannibal. Mortimer will reveal his plan to you and request that you help him carry it out. If you agree to help him, he will provide keys for the Ultra-Luxe freezer, Gourmand kitchen and Ultra-Luxe Penthouse.
Go to the investigator's room, located in the Ultra-Luxe Hotel Rooms. There you will find the investigator dead and the room a mess. Immediately after you enter the room, two White Glove Society members will appear armed with dress canes and attack. After the attackers have been dealt with, search the investigator's body and grab the Matchbook note, which will tell you that he had a meeting with someone in the Ultra-Luxe Steam room at 4PM.
Note: Quicksave often, the steam room area is prone to make the game crash at any moment, even if you are standing still in the middle of the room alone. It is better to enter the room only at or a little after 4PM.
In the steam room you will meet Chauncey, a member of the White Glove Society who regrets the path that his fellows have taken and was helping the investigator. When questioned, he tells you that Mortimer was behind the disappearance of Ted Gunderson, and that he is planning a banquet at 7PM in which food made with human flesh will be served. In this way, the White Glove Society will pass the taboo and will return to cannibalism after Mortimer makes a speech telling them what they ate.
Chauncey doesn't know where Ted is, but he suspects that he is being held in the members-only section of the Ultra-Luxe. Chauncey warns you that if Ted is seen in the hotel the other members will likely attack to protect their secret. He gives you two suggestions for freeing Ted:
- You can drug the wine with an anesthetic (creating drugged wine) and escape with Ted while the members are comatose. It's wise to prepare some Med-X and have a Medicine skill of 25; search the nearby First-Aid box and you might find some (if you don't have it)
- You can cook up a fake meal that will trick Mortimer into exposing himself without corrupting the rest of the White Glove members. According to Chauncey, at the end of Mortimer's speech you can enter the banquet hall with Ted alive and cause the Society to expel Mortimer.
Chauncey recommends the second approach, since the first would only be a temporary solution and would not prevent Mortimer from trying again in future. Right after you say goodbye, an assassin will enter the room and kill Chauncey.
Note: Chauncey is scripted to die. Even if you kill the assassin before a single shot is fired against Chauncey he will still die instantly, as if he had been shot.
After the assassin has been dealt with, proceed to the members-only section. Go to the Gourmand restaurant and enter the basement through the kitchen door. To get inside you will either need to be accepted as an honorary White Glove member, or you will need to pick the lock on the kitchen door. This is where the keys provided by Mortimer earlier may come in handy. If your reputation on the Strip is at least "accepted", Marjorie will gladly sponsor you as a member, and she will also provide you with formal wear and the key to the members-only section.
With a good sneak skill you can easily avoid an encounter with the White Glove Society members in the basement. If you don't take a stealthy approach, you will be stopped by a guard who will ask what you are doing there, and with a 55 Speech you can lie that Mortimer wants to move the kid. If you can't pass this check, you can also make a 35 Repair check to convince him that you are a plumber checking for leaks.
Next you need to get rid of Philippe, the cook, before you can open the freezer and free Ted. You have to do this anyway if you wish to create the fake food and expose Mortimer. There are several ways this can be done.
- You could simply kill Philippe, although this leads to White Glove Society infamy if not done stealthily. This entails a Karma gain, since he is very evil.
- If you wish to simply serve a fake meal and expose Mortimer, talk to Philippe. He will reply in a very rude and arrogant manner. If you say that he can't talk to you like that, he becomes even more rude and arrogant and you have the opportunity to get the recipe and the key from him:
- Barter check: A 55 Barter check saying that you are a literary agent looking to publish a cookbook. After more arrogant conversation, pass another 55 speech check and he will give his recipes (or you can pay 100 caps for them). But you will still have to get the key from him (if you haven't got it from Mortimer) and find a way to get rid of him.
- Alternatively, you can just pickpocket Philippe for the recipe and/or key.
- To get rid of him, lock him in the freezer by passing a Speech check of 55 and lie that a radroach is in the pantry. Philippe will run into the freezer, at which point you can use the terminal to close the door, trapping him inside.
- Medicine check: With a 55 Medicine you can tell him that he's arrogant because of projecting his hate, since he was abandoned by his father, abused by his mother and beaten by his brothers and sisters in his infancy. He then will give you both the recipe and a key to the freezer where Ted is being held and flee.
If you wish to cook the imitation strange meat pie and expose Mortimer, you will need Philippe's recipe and 6 Intelligence or 75 survival to improvise one.
If you wish to drug the wine, you need at least 25 Medicine and to simply go to the room next to the kitchen and put one of your Med-X in the bottle on the table. There is also a wine bottle on a shelf above the stove where you cook the meat that can be used instead.
Note: You don't need to drug the wine AND make the fake meal, you only need to use one of the options.
After cooking the fake food or drugging the wine, wait until 7pm (when the dinner guests arrive), then use the intercom to call the head waiter to come down and collect the drugged wine (or meal). It's advisable to free Ted only after the head waiter has left, since seeing Ted will turn the waiter hostile. When you open the door Ted will be very upset, demanding to know who did this to him. You have the option to (1)lie, (2)tell him the truth, or (3)say that "there's no time to explain". Lying will result in White Glove Society fame, and the last two options require a speech later with his father. For maximum fame with both the White Glove Society and the Strip, choose "there's no time to explain".
Have Ted follow you out of the kitchen and to the right, being careful to make sure the waiter isn't still walking back (dead slow). Follow the stairs up and go through the door to the White Glove private dining area (if you're not a member you'll need to use a key from Marjorie or Mortimer, or pick the lock). Crouch down and hide behind the bar until Mortimer has finished his speech. Note: You must wait for him to finish his speech before standing up or the White Glove members will turn hostile.
As soon as Mortimer finishes, run over to him and initiate dialogue. Exposing him will cause him to flee, but the other diners - the ones who might otherwise have attacked you - should remain neutral. If you are successfully able to attack Mortimer after exposing him but before he flees the room, the other diners may collectively mob Mortimer and assist you in killing him. Afterwards, talk to Marjorie to receive White Glove society fame.
At this point you can either return Ted to his father, or you can carry out the revenge path of Pheeble Will as detailed in the section above.
To complete the quest peacefully, return with Ted to his father. If you didn't lie to Ted in the freezer, he will tell his father what happened and Heck will want to impose a blockade of food on the Strip. You have the option to not let this happen with a 35 Speech check, which will lead to Strip fame. If you are unable to pass the check you will gain infamy. If you lied to Ted in the freezer (or said there wasn't time to explain), his father asks who was behind the kidnapping. If you tell the truth you have to pass the same 35 Speech check, but this time you will only gain Strip fame. If you lie to him you will gain Strip and White Glove Society fame.
Wearing White Glove Society attire when re-entering the room in which Heck Gunderson is waiting will cause him and his guard to attack the other members of the White Glove Society. This will cause you to gain infamy with the White Glove Society and The Strip.
After Ted is returned to his father you gain 500XP, 500 caps and more Strip and White Glove Society fame.
|1||Ask around the Ultra-Luxe for information regarding Ted Gunderson's disappearance.|
|2||Get Ted back to his father if he is still alive.|
|3||Inquire with Mortimer at the Ultra-Luxe about the investigator.|
|4||Get into the investigator's room at the Ultra-Luxe.|
|5||Search the Investigator for clues.|
|6||Meet with the investigator's contact in the Ultra-Luxe steam room at 4pm.|
|7||Find a way to gain access to the Members-Only section of the Gourmand.|
|8||(Optional) Get rid of Philippe and cook for the banquet using his recipe for human flesh.|
|9||(Optional) Drug the wine at the White Glove Society banquet.|
|10||(Optional) Find a sponsor to help you join the White Glove Society.|
|11||(Optional) Use the intercom to call in the head waiter.|
|12||(Optional) Bring Ted to the Members Only section to expose Mortimer at the end of his banquet speech.|
|13||Quest finished||Talk to Heck Gunderson.|
The Bloodthirsty CourierEdit
You also have the unmarked option to apply Wasteland manners in the pedant face of the White Glove Society, if you don't mind the possibility of being vilified by them.
Follow the quest as detailed in the "Following the Investigator" section above, but after discovering from Chauncey the plans regarding Ted, the courier has the unmarked option to tell Heck Gunderson what's happening.
After you have given Heck the news, he offers a different solution: simply shoot everyone in your way and return Ted to him. He provides you with a sawed-off shotgun and some shells.
Note that if you do this, you can kill all of the White Gloves in the casino with no Karma loss and never have your weapons taken again. You can even go into the cashier's office and clean it out to get your possessions back, suffering only minor Karma loss for opening/stealing things. Then you will have all your weapons and can continue the quest uninterrupted, although you may want to disguise as a White Glove to prevent unwanted attacks. Just be sure not to kill Marjorie or Mortimer or the quest will fail. Even after all the killing, once you complete the quest you may still go from hated to idolized by the White Gloves.
Once you return Ted to his father the quest is completed, and you gain 500 XP and 500 caps from Heck.
- Strangely enough, the decision to help the White Glove Society or not doesn't have any repercussions in the game or in the quest Render Unto Caesar other than give some Legion reputation and a lot of bad Karma to the player. This is the only quest in New Vegas that doesn't carry any repercussions between factions, towns, locations or non-player characters. This is also one of the few quests that allows you to subvert the entire progression and kill almost everyone in it without damaging your reputation or Karma.
- The player can both expose Mortimer and kill Heck and Ted without framing Heck. To do this, expose Mortimer as detailed in the above walkthrough, then kill Ted in an abandoned area of the casino so you are not seen. Report to Heck Ted is dead and tell him the White Glove Society kidnapped him, which leads into the same 35 Speech check to not stop supplying the Strip meat as though the player brought Ted back alive. Heck will remain at the bar after dialogue ends, simply draw your weapon and kill him, then put your weapon away and the White Glove Society members and other patrons should go back to friendly. You can then report to Walter to conclude Pheeble Will. This path earns you the title "Good-Natured Rascal", as you will be idolized by the White Glove Society but are guilty of breaking their rules by carrying a weapon and attacking Heck in their view. Or, kill him stealthily, e.g. with the Silenced .22 pistol, which is a holdout weapon. Hiding in the casino behind a table is quite doable, you may have to fire two or three times to kill him before he turns round.
- If you chose to drug the wine, after the head waiter picks up the Drugged wine, you can pickpocket it off him with no change in the current objective (the White Glove Society members will still become comatose)
- Also, when you enter the White Glove Society gathering you have the option to talk to the members. Attempting to talk to them actually opens up their extended inventory (the clothes they are currently wearing will be listed), which you can loot without loss of Karma or reputation. Even after finishing the quest, the members will not replace their clothing or masks, and they will walk around in their underwear. Also if you wake them up when they are drugged by hitting one and then putting your fists away they all will walk around the room and you can still pick their pockets as if they were unconscious and the player will not be able to talk to them until they leave.
- If all the Securitrons on The Strip were killed previously, it can be difficult to finish this quest via framing Gunderson as the quest markers will simply point to empty spaces and the Securitrons can take a very long time to respawn. This can be detrimental when playing on Hardcore as you will most likely have to wait for over a week, during which time you will have to keep sleep, dehydration and hunger levels down.
- If you are working for Mr House after the quest is completed you have the option to tell him that the White Glove's are now cannibals, he will then tell you to deal with them in any way you see fit as this is a breach of their contract.
- If you choose to frame Heck Gunderson, the Securitron that comes to deal with him will be a Securitron MK I, regardless of whether or not the Courier upgraded Mr. House's Securitrons to MK II.
- If you want to complete both the Pheeble Will and Beyond The Beef quests with the most experience, the best option is to, if you have the appropriate Barter skill level, get Phebus to agree to pay 400 caps for your help first. Then, go talk to Heck Gunderson and find out his son Ted is missing. After that, speak with Phebus again and tell him what you've found out; he'll pay you and the next set of dialogue options will appear. Just choose 'Goodbye', and then talk to his wife. Tell her you'll try to talk Phebus out of it, and then do so by whatever methods are at your disposal. He and his wife will leave without you having to kill Ted or Heck. This will give you 413 XP, but only 400 caps. It also requires Speech 75. This way you can bring Ted back to his father Heck and receive 589 XP, as well as 500 caps. You do however need speech level 35 to ensure you get the strip and White Glove Society fame. Also killing Mortimer after you show him up will give you 55 XP. BUT if you complete this quest peacefully first will fail the Pheeble Will quest, if you already take Ted to Heck, finish the former quest before talking to Heck.
- Oddly enough if you bring Ted back to Heck and then kill Heck, the White Glove Society will shun you, but Heck's hired gun will help you fight them.
- Picking the lock to the door that leads to the cashier's booth will result in Negative Karma, and upon approaching the cashier, he will become hostile. However, if you simply pick the lock then shut the door, there will be no resulting hostility.
- The only way to receive Strip fame is currently to dissuade Heck Gunderson from imposing a food blockade, which is possible ONLY if you return Ted to his father, thus failing Pheeble Will. Helping Mortimer promotes you to Idolized with the White Gloves, but has no effect on your Strip reputation.
- As of version 1.4, neither Mortimer nor Marjorie have lines about cannibalism or Ted Gunderson until you offer Heck to find his son (at least if you aren't a Cannibal and only have high speech). And, contrary to what the walkthrough keeps reiterating, this will actually enable you to ask Mortimer for a job. Having Pheeble Will started or not does not seem to be of relevance. Put another way, this quest is now given only by Heck Gunderson.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Beyond the Beef was designed by Eric Fenstermaker.
- The quest is, in terms of the quantity of bug reports made by players and testers, the potentially buggiest quest in the game.
- If the Courier has the Wild Wasteland trait, then after framing Heck Gunderson, the Securitron sent to arrest him will say the line "Dead or alive, you're coming with me" just before shooting him. This is a quote from the movie Robocop (1987). Voice and inflection sound similar to that of Robocop as well.
- Also if the Courier has the Wild Wasteland trait, the deceased investigator will be named "Crusoe." This is in reference to David Caruso, the actor who plays the protagonist of CSI: Miami and who has a similar appearance having red hair and wearing dark sunglasses.
- The name of this quest is another play of words that most likely refers to the song Beyond the Reef, written by J. Pitman in 1948 and made popular in 1950 by Bing Crosby. The song was covered by Elvis Presley and The Ventures, along with many other artists.
- xbox360 ps3 pc If you choose to cook the imitation meat pie and then take it, when you call the head waiter over he will stand in front of the oven and will not move. [verified]
- On the Xbox 360, if you put it back then wait 24 hours, he will have taken it. Make sure it is still around 7 PM when you leave the kitchen or you will encounter the bug mentioned below where Mortimer doesn't make his speech.
- xbox360 ps3 pc Ted Gunderson may become stuck in combat mode, and will not follow you through area transitions. To correct, wait one hour or fast travel to The Strip North Gate, Ted should appear shortly. When re-entering the Strip, be cautious as Ted does not have a passport and will be shot by security if you do not make it to the gate fast enough. Taking the monorail from Camp McCarran will also work. Alternatively, if you do not want to risk Ted dying, you can slowly and carefully walk into him, pushing him towards Heck. This is assuming you do not have to travel through any doors. You can also use the 'resurrect' command on him from the console if you're playing the PC version, and it will reset him. Waiting two to three hours on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 also works. Also, if you have a full party, dismissing your humanoid companion on the spot, causes him to act normally (Tested on PC) [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc If you prepare the meal, call the waiter, and then go up to the private dining room without Ted, Mortimer may never begin his speech. If you try to return later with Ted, the room will become hostile toward you. [verified]
- xbox360 If you are working with the Legion, and leave Boone in the freezer as a substitute meal, make sure you kill him before locking him in. "Back" him up into the freezer, kill him, return the Gunderson kid to his father, and then tell Mortimer. If you do not kill Boone first, even if you hire another companion after he's been eaten, when you go to the Legion camp, you will be perceived as hostile and attacked on sight. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc If you are confronted by a waiter in the basement where you have to explain why Ted is with you prior to making it to the members only room with Ted Gunderson with you, Mortimer will begin to walk toward the door and end up leaving the room before he finishes his speech. If you confront him before the speech ends, you will fail to expose him since he did not yet say anything about eating humans. However, once he leaves the room you may not expose him. When this happens the only solution is to walk back through and reunite Ted with his father, though the White Glove members will be hostile. [verified]
- This actually may depend on the time player spent down in the kitchen. If this bug occurs, you may reload from save and wait until it's 7 PM next day. When you go out of the kitchen, Mortimer should no longer be walking away. Alternatively, you can leave the members only section while remaining undetected into the Ultra-Luxe kitchen, wait a whole day until 7:00pm the next day, and Mortimer will be standing behind the podium. He won't say anything, having already given his speech the day prior; however you can rush towards him and initiate the dialogue exposing his plans, thus completing that particular objective for Beyond the Beef.
- ps3 If you choose to leave Boone in the freezer, you will not receive his ending, making it as if you had never met him. This happens regardless of whether he is dead or alive when locked in. May be true for the other human companions as well; only tested with Boone. [verified]
- pc If you complete the request and kill Mortimer and/or Marjorie but without drugging the wine, you can go to the kitchen afterwards, drug the wine and both will respawn for some reason, but will only offer non-quest related dialogue. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc If you go into the Penthouse Suite upon completion of the quest, two identical 'Gunderson's Hired Hand' non-player character's will be inside. They will follow you around the suite with their guns drawn, but will not attack, and they will not retaliate even when attacked by the player. Killing them does not result in negative Karma. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 There is a possible bug where if the player completes 'the courier that broke the bank' trophy/achievement, and becomes hostile to the White Gloves, upon entering the Ultra-Luxe casino floor the game will freeze every time. [verified]
- xbox360 Entering the Ultra-Luxe and immediately attacking can result in a very interesting questing experience. There is no conversation option to leave the casino - the player must either surrender their weapons or attack the guard. If the player chooses to attack the guard, the casino section will become hostile and attack - but not the rest of the hotel. All quest non-player characters will remain friendly. The player can proceed with the quest normally, although Marjorie may become hostile at random, causing some resolutions to be impossible. Additionally, Heck Gunderson will not have the conversation options necessary for him to give you the shotgun and proceed to kill the White Gloves. The player can bring Ted Gunderson back to resolve the quest, but cannot convince Heck to rampage through the casino. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc Choosing to pistol whip Carlyle St. Clair [Guns 45] can cause him to die and the quest to be marked as a failure. [verified]
- pc When waiting to meet the investigator's contact, Chauncey, in the bath house, the game crashes. Use wait and quick save frequently to work around it. It's confirmed that with or without companions this is likely to happen for different reasons, so quick save often and try to stay as little as possible in the steam room (enter the room only at 4PM or little after and go straight to him).
- pc Completing the conversation with Chauncey and attempting to leave the Bathhouse through the north-eastern door to the Casino Floor locks the game en route. Loading an older save (prior to entering the Ultra-Luxe) and going through the quest again from the beginning did not resolve the issue. Somehow circumvented by either constantly quick-saving or not looting either Chauncey or the Assassin, or both. [verified]
- xbox360 If you sneak into the kitchen of the White Glove Society prior to starting Heck's quest, it still allows you to drug the wine and call the head waiter down. If you do this, and then start the quest, you will be unable to do a few of the optional objectives that involve drugging the wine and calling the head waiter down. However, the quest can still be completed. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc If you don't pick the dialog option when speaking to Chauncey asking about "other suggestions for freeing Ted" you will NOT get the additional option to prepare the fake meal to oust Mortimer. The oven will not be accessible to make the fake strange meat pies and you will not be able to call down the Head Waiter to pick up the fake strange meat pies. The only options left will be to kill everyone on your way out or drug the wine to sneak past. [verified]
- xbox360 pc If you left your non-player character's in the kitchen area and attempt to go back to retrieve them without taking Ted to his father first, Ted's AI might bug out and he'll go retrieve a weapon in the basement. Then stand still in an attack pose refusing to follow you. And if you bring your non-player character's up to the White Glove Society room without being a member (after dealing with Mortimer) they will be hostile to your non-player character's and begin attacking. [verified]
- A fix is to simply "Wait" (T) for one hour before you try to bring him through a door, as he will then temporarily holster his weapon and proceed through doors normally.
- pc If Ted cannot follow you (you enter a different room and he does not follow) simply go to the room where his father is and type the following into the console: prid 0010d4f0 and hit enter. Then type moveto player and Ted will appear.
- Or type the following into the console: set "0010d2c6".bTedFollowing to 1 and hit enter.
- xbox360 If you kill everyone and find Ted in the kitchen, when you bring him back to his father, you'll get the same dialogue as if you were starting the quest. This may be due to the fact that Ted stays behind which calls for another initiation of conversation to have him follow you again. Additionally, you may be able to gain ammo from Heck if you haven't already mentioned that Ted is within the confines of Ultra-Luxe. Therefore, you may talk to Heck, gain weapon(s) and ammo, then return to find Ted. Reinitiate dialogue, and then have Ted return with you to his father. [verified]
- pc After framing Heck Gunderson, when the Securitron confronts him, if you leave the area during their conversation and come back they will not finish it and just stand together from then on. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Just after starting the quest, when the Courier is sent to talk to Marjorie, she can become "stuck" in the Members Only Section dining area, preventing quest progression. [verified]
- PC fix: Type into the console: prid 0010D4F1, moveto player
- Multisystem fix 1: Killing a White Glove Society NPC (if done while hidden there are no negative faction penalties) allows for looting of White Glove Society Attire, White Glove Society Mask, and White Glove Society Members Key (unlocks the Members Only Section); this can easily be achieved with a silenced gun while hiding (for instance, target the idle NPC in the far corner of the restaurant). Equipping the White Glove Society Attire and White Glove Society Mask allows the character to enter the Members Only Section without being killed on sight (the White Glove Society Members Key unlocking the door to the area). Inside the Members Only Section Marjorie can be spoken with as normal, after which she is triggered to commence roaming the casino once more (her normal non-bugged state).
- Multisystem Fix 2: It is possible to get Marjorie out of the members' section by throwing a grenade while in the members' section under cover of Stealth Boy. If done right, no one becomes hostile and your relationship with the White Glove Society remains unaffected.
- Multisystem fix 3: Pickpocket a white glove and take their Members Key. Then get a Stealth Boy and sneak into the Members Only section. Although it is filled with enemies, Marjorie remains friendly, so sneak over to her, leave sneak and immediately initiate speech, then drop back into sneak mode after the conversation is finished. Leaving sneak mode will cause all enemies in the area to get up from their seats and immediately start searching for you, but if you use a Stealth Boy it is possible to remain hidden until "Caution" is replaced by "Hidden", allowing you to leave the area and continue the quest as normal (talking to Marjorie causes her to return to her welcome desk outside the Gourmand).
- pc Sometimes the remains from Ted Gunderson are not provided after killing him. You can add the samples via the console with: player.additem 00125AF1 1. [verified]
- pc If you choose to cook the imitation meat to expose Mortimer and you have killed White Glove Society guards in the kitchen area, Mortimer may never make his speech. The entire dining room (except Mortimer) will become hostile to you and Ted unless you are wearing a White Glove Society disguise (there is one guard who will still recognize you and become hostile). In this case, you will need to return to the main lobby (guards will attack you) and once all the guards are dealt with, Ted and Heck will meet, allowing you to talk to Heck and finish the quest. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Sometimes, when reuniting Ted and Heck a White Glove Society member behind a roulette table will be knocked unconscious. [verified]
- xbox360 If you convince Ted to follow you, and go to the Ultra-Luxe Penthouse, he will immediately turn hostile. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Upon confronting Mortimer after his speech and revealing his plans, the other White Glove members in the dining hall may become hostile to the player's companions but not to the player character. This will most likely result in their death, as your assistance will turn the members hostile to you. This can be solved by leaving the dining room, having the companions wait, then returning and completing the objective. [verified]
- ps3 After becoming Idolized with the White Glove Society, both your Caesar's Legion & Powder gangers reputation(both good & bad) will reset to neutral. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 After completing the quest there is a small chance to encounter a glitch causing it to repeatedly say Optional Find out more about the White Glove society by talking to Marjorie. This can be fixed by speaking to Yes Man and telling him how you wish to deal with the White Glove society. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Is is entirely possible that the assassin will not spawn to kill Chauncey after you talk to him. Chauncey will simply sit on the bench for a few minutes until he gets up and goes to the main building of the Ultra-Luxe. He is then most likely to act like a random gambler, sitting at the tables and smoking. If the player attempts to converse with him, it will repeat the same conversation that happened when the player first talked to him. The player may do this as many times as they please, as the conversation automatically ends when the player reveals that Jay Barnes (or Crusoe) is dead. [verified]
- xbox360 It is possible that after you finish the quest and you're siding with the Legion if you go and talk to Mortimer you will be in a never ending speech with him and you will have 2 options 1. "Did you succeed in turning the White Glove Society back to cannibalism?" and 2. "Goodbye.". So far there is no way to fix this if you want to ask them to side with the Legion then you have to go ask Marjorie. [verified]
- xbox360 If Heck dies while you are leading Ted to him, Ted will stay where he is and not follow, leave and ask you to bring him to his father, or he will continue to follow with a weapon drawn until you reach Heck's corpse.[verified]
- pc If you exit the conversation with Chauncey in the Steam Room before asking him how to free Ted, he will be killed and the optional side quests for drugging the wine or using the recipe won't appear in your Pip Boy. For PC, use the console command to summon Chauncey and activate the dialog option. [verified]